3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey calls?  (Read 157 times)

Offline Savate

• Trad Bowhunter
Turkey calls?
« on: April 14, 2008, 06:49:00 PM »
Turkey season is here and its snowing.  Been seeing birds EVERYWHERE (saw to Toms fighting it out less than 15yds from my car yesterday).

This is my first time EVER hunting.  Going to Wally World to get some calls.

What do y'all recommend?  Slate Call best for a newbie?

My friend is supposed to let me use his blind and I went to scout out my neighbor's land and found a couple of good places to set up in what appears to be their path (haven't been there long enough to see where they roost).

Offline Boar Hog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey calls?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 07:13:00 PM »
try a box call and a slate, you should be set.

Offline LJOHNS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 07:54:00 PM »
You can't beat a good slate.  I get the most natural sounds from a slate.  Any brand will do but be warned you will have more turkey calls than you can count in a few years!  I carry a box, a double glass, a slate "sweet talker" (a home-made slate box), a little duce glass, a couple mouth calls, Crow call, and an Owl call...and yes I use them all!

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
For a newbie I would recommend a box call and a push button call to start with. There is some learning to do with a slate and diaphram calls.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Savate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »
I just got back and got myself an HS STRUT aluminum call.  Playing around with it.  Not sure how to maintain it, but I'm going to practice in my living room and see if I can call anything over to the couch.  :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©