3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: For those of you who shoot tabs.  (Read 296 times)

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
For those of you who shoot tabs.
« on: April 14, 2008, 08:08:00 PM »
Gentlemen,

I currently shoot with a damascus glove, but I have decided to try and convert to a tab.  I met an archery coach that insisted on it.

So....I ordered a Cavalier Elite cordovan tab from 3 Rivers.  Any suggestions on the transition or any tips to make this tab fit better.

Thanks,
Charlie

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: For those of you who shoot tabs.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
best tab you can get, imo.  it will feel differant at first but like every thing else, you get used to it
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
The more you shoot with it, the better it gets.
Just like a baseball glove.  ;)

Offline longstick

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »
Ive been shooting my cavalier for 2 yrs now and it just dont get any better than that! I have a spare for a just in case too...plus a few spare parts!
>>-TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
Good to hear!  I have heard that some people us a glove under it? Any reason as to why?

-Charlie

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 07:09:00 AM »
Most of the time, you will have to trim the tab a bit to make it fit your fingers properly.  You don't want a bunch of material hanging over the end of your fingers when you take your hook on the string; just enough to cover the tips of your fingers is about right. Shoot it a bit to determine where the string comes off the tab before trimming.  Trim just a little at a time; you can't put material back on!  LOL! Typically, you need to take a very deep hook with a tab, deeper than you might take with a glove, in order to keep your fingers/hand relaxed and allow your back to do the pulling.  Good luck, Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 07:43:00 AM »
I bought a Cavalier Tab and did not like it.  It is possible that I needed a different size.  I have shot the "cordovan" tab that has the rubber pacer for years and really like that.  To each his own.
Regards,
homebru

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 08:07:00 AM »
I kept the spacer but did not use the other junk. If you put a little baby powder on it then shott it some you will see where exactly the string is leaving the tab. Trim a "V" so that the tab is not squishing the string. I also like the Black Widow tabs-maybe even a little better-I am still back and forth a little bit.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 08:45:00 AM »
I shot w/ a glove for years until I spent some time w/ a couple of serious target shooters. Guys that never really hunted, just 3d and indoor stuff. To me, a tab felt very clumsy at first but the more I used it the more I liked it. Wouldn't go back to a glove now. I use the Angel tab, made in Japan, not cheap but very well made, it has the spacer which is beneficial.
   One thing about a tab is that they last so much longer due to the thicker, harder leathers used in them.  I was going through a glove every 4-6 months but I've had the same two tabs over a year now and they are still in good shape.
   I definately get a cleaner, more consistant release.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 09:04:00 AM »
I tried going back to a tab a few times but never could make it work, until a friend gave me one of his extra Calvalier Elite tabs.  Took a little work, but I'm liking it (swapped this spring).  My release has never been so good.

I removed the finger spacer (got in the way of a deep hook) and the adjuster thing on the finger cord (replaced it with a knot).

So far, so good.

Chad

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 09:56:00 AM »
I started with a glove, but after some time, the deep finger grooves made my shots..... not fly like darts anymore because I couldn't make a clean release. I now use a calf hair tab. No grooves and my arrows fly like darts from a clean release.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 10:39:00 AM »
interesting read.  I've shot with a glove from day one, 20 years ago.  since many say they get a better release with a tab I picked one up....but I seem to be getting MUCH more 'left-right' as the string rolls off the tab (over the finger tips).   should I trim the 'excess' off at the finger end???
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline scriv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 10:45:00 AM »
Just shoot with it and it will become part of you.  :archer:
Shoot strait and have fun!

Toelke Whip
Black Widow PLX
A&H ACS-CX
Hoyt Formula RX

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »
hickstick: yes, you need to trim it to fit.  Also, IMHO, the tab will show release problems more clearly than a glove will.  Normally, if I don't pull straight through the shot, I will shoot left (right handed).
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 11:39:00 AM »
I don't know why your instructor would 'insist' on a tab-more trads use a glove; and some of them shoot pretty good too! LOL!!.
Personally, I prefer a tab but would never tell someone which to use, nor would I go back to a glove just because someone said so.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 12:16:00 PM »
This is going to drive me crazy waiting on the tab to arrive so I can practice with it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©