3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Advice on making strings:  (Read 2465 times)

Offline Silent footed

• Trad Bowhunter
Advice on making strings:
« on: March 17, 2020, 04:19:46 AM »
I've had a lot of success with crafting fine cedar arrows, and am ready to take the step into making flemish strings.

Right now I just need the equipment to learn on; however, I won't turn down any tips that anyone has to offer as well.

Anyway, what is the absolute minimum of equipment and materials I need to get started, and is there anything I need to know when buying it or what to buy?

I shoot b-50 on my bows, so that is really what I am asking for info on, but if anyone here is making padded-loop fast flight strings, then I would want to hear about that too.

If you're using b-55, feel free to tell me about it. I understand that both are safe on any bow.

Offline goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Advice on making strings:
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 07:36:38 AM »
B50 is inexpensive and easy to work with.  PM your email and I'll send you info on how to build a string making tool.
Welcome to the addiction  :campfire:

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 08:45:49 AM »
https://www.3riversarchery.com/how-to-build-a-great-bowstring-dvd.html

This dvd will give you all the information you need to make bowstrings.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 08:57:57 AM »
There are some great tutorials online as well. At the very minimum all you need is the string, a take measure, a pair of scissors, and some string wax.
A string making jig will come in handy if you're going to be making a bunch. They're not too difficult to build.

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 09:01:12 AM »
You need some serving and a serving tool as well.

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 11:25:02 AM »
Years ago TBM magazine had an article on building flemish strings, and a drawing of a simple jig.  Made many strings.  One thing that's pretty good to know- if your string ends up a bit long or short, undo one loop, adjust your starting point on that loop as needed, and you will have the length just right.  My experience with B50 and flimish strings is they will stretch up to an inch before they settle.  Make your loops, string up your bow overnight, then serve the center.  My first strings didn't look so good but worked fine.  Turns out I wasn't backtwisting the individual strands (before making second loop) as most instructions should mention.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 11:47:14 AM »
I made my jig from plans in the book, "Shooting the Stickbow" but there are plans galore on the internet. You'll just need a 1x4 and some nails for the jig. You'll need two rolls of B55, different colors, string wax, tape measure, serving jig, serving material.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 12:41:43 PM »
Most of my strings are one color, I used to make tree bundle strings with three colors when I first started out. When I switched to DF97 I didn't want to invest $50 in a couple spools of FF just for the color contrast and went to one color.

Online Chuck Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 01:53:03 PM »
You don’t really need anything but string material and serving to make a bowstring. I’ve been making bowstrings for over 40 years without a jig. I start with a strand about 10” longer than the bow. Make two bundles of strands that length to come up with the number of strands needed. A good start is 12 strands B-50 for 45#. Stagger the strands in each bundle about 1/2” so they naturally taper. I twist the top loop about 5 or 6” from the end, about an inch long, wrap around the top nock and splice back into the string. After the ends are splice into the main string, continue about 2 more inches. Un twist each bundle while pinching the end of the splice, until all the strands are loose.

Slide the loop about 5” down the limb and pull the string down to the bottom nock and pinch it there with your fingers. Twist the bottom loop for about 3/4” or so and wrap around the bottom nock. Splice the ends back into the main string and then another 2” or so. Twist the whole string shorter and string the bow. Adjust the length and pull the bow a few times to stretch the string. Experience will dictate how long to make strings for different lengths and weights. A serving jig is nice, but the string can be served by hand if needed.

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 03:50:01 PM »
I'd be checking you tube before spending $25 for a DVD.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=making+a+flemish+twist+bow+string

"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Online flyonline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 04:27:49 AM »

Clay Hayes has an excellent tutorial on no jig flemish string making. I've made a few this way after making them with a jig, it's quick and easy. I have noticed that they do stretch a little more than if they're reversed twisted the whole way, so next time I'll make them an inch or so shorter to allow for a bit more twisting up over time.

Getting the padding into the second loop can be fun at times, and a clothes peg or two can help to hold the whole lot together if you need to stop for some reason.

Offline Silent footed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 09:12:55 AM »
You guys are awesome. I watched a couple videos and I'm convinced I can do it if i give myself an afternoon sometime. (Would love to watch the three rivers video too, but money is tight). I will be making my own jig.

Okay so, here's what I'm looking at on ebay right now:

1/4# Black b-55 100% polyester bowstring for the traditional archer
1/4# Brown b-55 100% polyester bowstring for the traditional archer
120 yard jig spool of bcy 3d serving thread (color black)

Please someone step in and tell me if they know of a better brand (and also tell me where to order it).

Also, how do I narrow down my strand count?
I see a lot of 16-strand strings for sale with a weight limit of 60#. That is too low for my bows. I plan on making strings for a 61# longbow, and a 75# longbow.

Can anyone give me a reliable b-55 strand-count guideline for heavier bows? Safety is a HUGE CONCERN for me. I don't want to get injured or injure someone else.

Speaking of that, are all spools of b-55 standardized? Meaning, is a given strand-count the same no matter the brand of b-55 I choose?

Thanks for all input.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2020, 10:19:11 AM »

Can anyone give me a reliable b-55 strand-count guideline for heavier bows? Safety is a HUGE CONCERN for me. I don't want to get injured or injure someone else.

Speaking of that, are all spools of b-55 standardized? Meaning, is a given strand-count the same no matter the brand of b-55 I choose?

The breaking strength of a strand of B-50 is about 35#.  The rule of thumb is that breaking strength of a bow string should be a minimum of 4X the maximum draw weight of the bow, so for a 75# bow, the breaking strength of the bow string should be at least 300 pounds.  This would require at least 9 strands of B-50, or 2 bundles of 5 strands each.  This math was done to show you that the breaking strength of the bow string is not really the key factor in designing the number of strands in the bow string for bows in the poundage range we normally shoot. Unless a person is interested in skinny strings to keep the weight down, the key factor is usually how well a string fits a nock.  That is the main reason you see a lot of 16 strand bowstrings (2 bundles of 8 strands each).

I don't particularly like 16 strand bowstrings, because 7 strands in a bundle is the ideal number in order to have equal force on each strand.  Tests have shown that when the strand count exceeds 7 strands in a bundle, the 8th strand is not really pulling its weight; it's just along for the ride.  If I need a thicker string to fit my nocks, I just use a thicker serving material on my 14 strand strings.

I don't know how this varies among string manufacturers, but as you can see, 14 strands is so far above the minimum required breaking strength that I doubt it is something you need to worry about.

What you do need to worry about is any cuts or abrasions the string may get after you make it, which will substantially weaken any string.

(Edit:  I don't know what the breaking strength of B-55 is, but since it is a newer material than B-50, I would assume it is at least 35#, if not more)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 10:30:42 AM by McDave »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline flntknp17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 11:50:12 AM »
I've made hundreds of flemish twist strings with only a serving jig for the center serving and a knife or scissors.  Honestly, you wouldn't even need the serving jig....it just makes it easier and quicker to get the serving tight.  I actually prefer the method without the jig for whatever reason.  I'd say what you need is:
Spool of B55
Knife/scissors
Wax
Spool of serving (recommend BCY Halo)
Serving jig (makes it much easier)

Matt

Offline flntknp17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 11:54:33 AM »
You guys are awesome. I watched a couple videos and I'm convinced I can do it if i give myself an afternoon sometime. (Would love to watch the three rivers video too, but money is tight). I will be making my own jig.

Okay so, here's what I'm looking at on ebay right now:

1/4# Black b-55 100% polyester bowstring for the traditional archer
1/4# Brown b-55 100% polyester bowstring for the traditional archer
120 yard jig spool of bcy 3d serving thread (color black)

Please someone step in and tell me if they know of a better brand (and also tell me where to order it).

Also, how do I narrow down my strand count?
I see a lot of 16-strand strings for sale with a weight limit of 60#. That is too low for my bows. I plan on making strings for a 61# longbow, and a 75# longbow.

Thanks for all input.

Do NOT buy BCY 3D serving for trad bows center serving.  This serving material is designed to be very small diameter for the end servings on a compound or other "endless" type string and isnt used for flemish strings.  You need a serving with more diameter designed for center serving like Halo or Diamondback. 

Matt

Online Chuck Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2020, 02:09:38 PM »
I always understood that the breaking strength per strand of B-50 was.....50#. B-55 ...55#.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2020, 03:22:53 PM »
I always understood that the breaking strength per strand of B-50 was.....50#. B-55 ...55#.

This came off an old spool of B-50 I‘ve had forever. I don’t think the video shows the final break weight, but it was 32#.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2020, 03:34:11 PM »
I do black and brown and there isn't much contrast once the string is finished. If you like contrast I'd go with another color instead of brown. I'm stuck with the color combo.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2020, 09:41:16 PM »
This is easy stuff. Make your string jig, pick 2 colors and your serving/jig, and go to town. That’s what I did. Just make sure and back twist and you’re all set.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2020, 10:06:17 PM »
That's what I was thinking Chuck   :dunno:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©