3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do ya think I'm ready?  (Read 301 times)

Offline Hoytman

• Trad Bowhunter
Do ya think I'm ready?
« on: April 14, 2008, 10:06:00 PM »
I've been shooting one of these curvy things for a month now. I've been working with 4 different bows and a half dozen different arrow sizes. About 1 week ago I settled on the bow that felt best and narrowed down which arrow shot best. I settled on a Harold Couch Custom, 57# @ 28" and 29" 2213s with 125 gr. Thunderheads. I was hoping to be comfortable enough by deer season to hunt with it. But I think I made it in time for turkey season. What do you think? This is a 22 yard group. I shoot best  at 17 yds. but start to fall apart about 30 yds. I think I am going to keep my  shot yardage between 10 and 17 yds.

" without humor, nothing would seem funny."

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do ya think I'm ready?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 10:12:00 PM »
sure, why not.  :)
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

62" titan riser and samick master limbs 50@28

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 10:24:00 PM »
As a fellow Harold Couch bow shooter(3pc 62" TD LB 45#@28 and 56#@28), I think A. Great bow! and B. If you are comfortable to 17 yards, try to keep your shots below that. I think you are very ready...Nice group!
Those bows sure make it easy to shoot well huh??
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 03:26:00 AM »
With a group like that I would shoot to 20-22 yards. Hap

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 05:16:00 AM »
I think that is a question you must answer yourself.....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Chisler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 07:53:00 AM »
Good job Hoytman.  Looks like you are well prepared.  Don't forget to go kneel in the pines in your backyard and try shooting that group again at 10 yds,   Just for fun, stand up a couple cinder blocks 6" apart and 2 feet this side of your turey target.  You shoot right handed?  Try placing the target way over to the right!
     You should have a great spring.  Turkeys + bows = lots of fun!

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 08:11:00 AM »
I know Im ready when I can get 5 arrows in a row in a pie pan at my shooting distance....sitting down standing up , on my knees, with my hunting clothes on ...and shooting BH's...Marco#78  :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 08:32:00 AM »
looking good

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 08:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by Guru:
Do you mean as far as archery !

You can be ready one day, and shoot totally different another day, that's just the way it is.  And like he said " only you can answer that question"

Pastor Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 09:15:00 AM »
Hoytman, nice shooting there.

Guru has it right though only you know if you are ready.

Is your first shot dead on each day at your determined hunting range? Cause when it comes to animals this is the one that counts.

Offline Hoytman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 10:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Guru:
To be truthful, it wasn't really a question. I was kinda  proud of the progress I've made so quickly. And thought I would share that with the guys that are such an encouragement to the new people here.
Thankyou

Offline scriv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 10:47:00 AM »
In that case, let 'er rip!  :thumbsup:
Shoot strait and have fun!

Toelke Whip
Black Widow PLX
A&H ACS-CX
Hoyt Formula RX

Offline Hoytman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 11:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by Chris Surtees:
Hoytman, nice shooting there.

Is your first shot dead on each day at your determined hunting range? Cause when it comes to animals this is the one that counts.
You're exactly right there Chris. That is what I strive for with all of my hunting weapons. Occasonaly an animal will offer a second shot but I never plan on that. As I stated that is a 22 yaed group. I am doing very well out to 27 or 28 yds. But we all no that real world encounters are much different than a practice range. That is why I limit my effective hunting range to about half of my proficiency range. The "Unknown" factor. I have pins out to 65 yards on my compound hunting bow and shoot 6in. groups with broadheads at that range. But I try to limit my deer hunting range to 30 yds. After all ,the reason we choose a bow is to get close to our quarry.
I practice sitting, kneeling, seated turned around backwards, standing turned backwards, and any off kilter position I can think of. The hardest thing I am having trouble with is shooting out of the blind because of the small openings. It goofs up my sight picture. That is where I am spending most of my time practicing now.
I am new to the traditional game. Not to bowhunting. I am a fairly accompished bow hunter. With many trophies and even more memories. So I understand and appreciate all of tips and suggestions.

Thankyou all for the kind words. I think the attitude of the people here is what draws newcomers. And we need that. I know that it makes it much easier for me.

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 01:15:00 PM »
Looks like meat on the table to me! I know a bunch of trad. shooters that wish their grouping looked like that.
samuel koger

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 05:16:00 PM »
Your archery skills look more than ready. Try practicing some 'single arrow' shooting too, allowing as much time as practical between single shots. Groups don't mean much when hunting.
One or two shots per day is excellent practice, especially the last week before a trip.
Have fun!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©