3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Can we move on?  (Read 4225 times)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: Can we move on?
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2020, 01:44:06 PM »
yes, we need to move on and stop with the covid-19 panic SCARE, cause that's what a serious viral infection has turned into, no more or less, thanx to the media and certain politicians, with none giving the full details about USA flu epidemics.

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2020, 02:03:14 PM »
Thank you Rob!!!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2020, 07:19:29 PM »
Well, now that we have this thread, lets make some common sense out of the panic that the media portrays about covid-19. 

If yer essentially a healthy human, and the virus attacks you, yer gonna survive but you WILL be Miserably sick for about 10-14 days.  Been there, done that, it ain't fun but recovery is full. 

If yer not a healthy person to begin with where yer ailment compromises yer immune system to any degree, and the virus attacks, yer gonna probably be in a survival fight.  Common sense sez that if you are this kinda unhealthy person to begin with, smart thinking would be to FULLY quarantine yerself.

According to the CDC ...

"The 1918 influenza pandemic was the most severe pandemic in recent history. It was caused by an H1N1 virus with genes of avian origin. Although there is not universal consensus regarding where the virus originated, it spread worldwide during 1918-1919.  In the United States, it was first identified in military personnel in spring 1918. It is estimated that about 500 million people or one-third of the world 2019s population became infected with this virus. The number of deaths was estimated to be at least 50 million worldwide with about 675,000 occurring in the United States."

The 2009 edition of the USA swine flu ...

"From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus."

Think about all this a bit and put covid-19 in perspective with the swine flu, and then with the common yearly winter flu here in the USA.

"CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 2018-2019 season included an estimated 35.5 million people getting sick with influenza, 16.5 million people going to a health care provider for their illness, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths from influenza. The number of influenza-associated illnesses that occurred last season was similar to the estimated number of influenza-associated illnesses during the 2012-2013 influenza season when an estimated 34 million people had symptomatic influenza illness."

CDC REPORTS as of March 23, 2020 ... COVID-19: U.S. at a Glance

Total cases: 33,404
    Total deaths: 400
    Jurisdictions reporting cases: 54 (50 states, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, and US Virgin Islands)

Interesting stuff to ponder, eh?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

COVID-19 SYMPTOMS

The main list of acute symptoms at this time is actually quite short and can appear anywhere from two to 14 days after exposure to the virus, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"We're emphasizing fever plus a notable lower respiratory tract symptom -- cough or trouble breathing," said infectious disease expert Dr. William Schaffner, a professor of preventative medicine and infectious disease at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine in Nashville.

Being able to identify those symptoms and act upon them when necessary is critical. Here's what you need to know.

Fever

Fever is a key symptom, experts say. Don't fixate on a number, but know it's really not a fever until your temperature reaches at least 100 degrees Fahrenheit (37.7 degrees Celsius) for children and adults.

"There are many misconceptions about fever. Average daily temperature is 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit (37 degrees Celsius), but we all actually go up and down quite a bit during the day as much as half of a degree or a degree," said Dr. John Williams, chief of the division of pediatric infectious diseases at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh.

"So 99.0 degrees or 99.5 degrees Fahrenheit is not a fever," he stressed.

When you check for fever, don't rely on a temperature taken in the morning. Instead take your temp in the late afternoon and early evening.

"Our temperature is not the same during the day. If you take it at eight o'clock in the morning, it may be normal," Schaffner explained.
"One of the most common presentations of fever is that your temperature goes up in the late afternoon and early evening -- it's a common way that viruses produce fever."

(ADDED: Sore throat is also an indicator along with a feverish feeling.)

Cough

Coughing is another key symptom, but it's not just any cough, said Schaffner. It should be a dry cough that you feel in your chest.

"It's not a tickle in your throat. You're not just clearing your throat. It's not just irritated. You're not putting anything out, you're not coughing anything up," Schaffner said.

"The cough is bothersome, it's coming from your breastbone or sternum. and you can tell that your bronchial tubes are inflamed or irritated," he added.

Difficulty breathing

Shortness of breath can be a third -- and very serious -- manifestation of Covid-19, and it can occur on its own, without a cough. If your chest becomes tight or you begin to feel as if you cannot breathe deeply enough to get a good breath, that's a sign to act, experts say.

"If there's any shortness of breath immediately call your health care provider, a local urgent care or the emergency department," said American Medical Association president Dr. Patrice Harris.

(ADDED:  Shortness of breath means GET TO A HOSPITAL ASAP!)

"If the shortness of breath is severe enough, you should call 911," Harris added.

(ADDED: This is how covid-19 kills, via the lungs - pneumonia and fibrosis).

In addition to difficulty breathing or shortness of breath, the CDC lists emergency warning signs for Covid-19 as a "persistent pain or pressure in the chest," "bluish lips or face" -- which indicates a lack of oxygen -- and any sudden mental confusion or lethargy and inability to rouse.

Get medical attention immediately, the CDC says.

Flu and cold symptoms

This trifecta of symptoms -- fever, cough and shortness of breath -- are not the only signs of sickness that have been seen in cases of Covid-19.
Many other symptoms can resemble the flu, including headaches, digestive issues, body aches and fatigue, which can be severe. Still other symptoms can resemble a cold or allergies, such as a runny nose, sore throat and sneezing.

Most likely, experts say, you simply have a cold or the flu -- after all they can cause fever and cough too. One possible sign that you might have Covid-19 is if your symptoms, especially shortness of breath, don't improve after a week or so but actually worsen.

So what should you do?

"At this moment, the current guidance -- and this may change -- is that if you have symptoms that are similar to the cold and the flu and these are mild symptoms to moderate symptoms, stay at home and try to manage them with rest, hydration and the use of Tylenol," Harris said.

That advice does not apply if you are over age 60, since immune systems weaken as we age, or if you are pregnant -- anyone with concerns about coronavirus should call their healthcare provider, according to the CDC.

It's unclear whether pregnant women have a greater chance of getting severely ill from coronavirus, but the CDC has said that women experience changes in their bodies during pregnancy that may increase their risk of some infections.

In general, Covid-19 infections are riskier if you have underlying health conditions such as diabetes, chronic lung disease or asthma, heart failure or heart disease, sickle cell anemia, cancer (or are undergoing chemotherapy), kidney disease with dialysis, a body mass index (BMI) over 40 (extremely obese) or an autoimmune disorder.
"Older patients and individuals who have underlying medical conditions or are immunocompromised should contact their physician early in the course of even mild illness," the CDC advises.

To be clear, you are at higher risk -- even if you are young -- if you have underlying health issues.

"People under 60 with underlying illnesses, with diabetes, heart disease, immunocompromised or have any kind of lung disease previously, those people are more vulnerable despite their younger age," Schaffner said.

A history of travel to an area where the novel coronavirus is widespread (and those parts of the world, including the US, are going up each day) is obviously another key factor in deciding if your symptoms may be Covid-19 or not.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 08:41:34 PM by Rob DiStefano »

Offline BearBandit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2020, 09:44:17 PM »
Ok I just gotta jump in here real quick.  Just so we're  clear this isn't the flu.   You can carry this virus and show no symptoms for up to 2 weeks.   The problem isn't just the virus it's that we have no immunity to it and it will overwhelm our health care systems resulting in people who need care for the same injuries and illnesses that come in every day that don't have this virus not recieving treatment.

You also need to realize that this is just starting, you can't compare the two until it's run its course, this virus is extremely infectious.

Please don't try to downplay the seriousness of this, take a look at what's happening outside your own country.

I'm well aware of the other things that kill people daily.  But what many aren't aware of is the majority of the world runs on a just in time health care model.

Which means we have no stockpiles, we have no extra, we have just enough to deal with what we averagely deal with. That's the problem.
If we don't take this seriously it will spread much more rapidly than the flu because we have no immunity and no vaccine for it.  Forget the death rate of the virus, its irrelevant,  the collapse of our healthcare system and supply lines is what matters.

So either we all do our part or the weakest members of our society pay the price.  I know I still want my parents around to see their grand babies so I stay home.

Please please take this seriously the window to head this thing off is quickly shrinking and laissez faire approach will make this so much worse than it has to be.  If we all just do our part and stay home and nothing happens,  we'll that's kind of the point.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 09:58:59 PM by BearBandit »

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2020, 10:32:18 PM »
Ok I just gotta jump in here real quick.  Just so we're  clear this isn't the flu.   You can carry this virus and show no symptoms for up to 2 weeks.   The problem isn't just the virus it's that we have no immunity to it and it will overwhelm our health care systems resulting in people who need care for the same injuries and illnesses that come in every day that don't have this virus not recieving treatment.

You also need to realize that this is just starting, you can't compare the two until it's run its course, this virus is extremely infectious.

Please don't try to downplay the seriousness of this, take a look at what's happening outside your own country.

I'm well aware of the other things that kill people daily.  But what many aren't aware of is the majority of the world runs on a just in time health care model.

Which means we have no stockpiles, we have no extra, we have just enough to deal with what we averagely deal with. That's the problem.
If we don't take this seriously it will spread much more rapidly than the flu because we have no immunity and no vaccine for it.  Forget the death rate of the virus, its irrelevant,  the collapse of our healthcare system and supply lines is what matters.

So either we all do our part or the weakest members of our society pay the price.  I know I still want my parents around to see their grand babies so I stay home.

Please please take this seriously the window to head this thing off is quickly shrinking and laissez faire approach will make this so much worse than it has to be.  If we all just do our part and stay home and nothing happens,  we'll that's kind of the point.

yes, indeed, exactly.

Offline BearBandit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2020, 11:18:37 PM »
I'm glad that we're on the same page,  I just worry that your comparisons to other outbreaks is going to lead people to believe that this isn't as serious as it really is.  Panic isn't what we need right now either,  logic and science is what will see us through this so please follow the recommendations that have been put in place. 

Really when you think about it, not much us being asked other than to stay home and keep your distance from others.

I realize the economic ramifications of this are already huge but they can be much worse if we don't get this under control.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2020, 06:57:37 AM »
the overview: one would be a fool to dismiss covid-19 as "just another flu", because clearly it's more than just that.  however, IMO, it's the media and some politicos that have done Americans a disservice in pushing the covid-19 panic scare that's culminated in fighting over toilet paper for starters, and who knows what comes next *IF* there are shortages of foods and meds.  i believe that covid-19 will be with us for quite awhile, hopefully get major subdued as the weather warms, but it could also easily emerge come this fall/winter.  be prepared.  we have to keep a logical perspective to realize that, for the very most part, that some reasonable 99% or more of all humans will survive, even if they've been afflicted.  don't panic.  be smart.  your intelligence will help you and the not-so-smart people. 

the prevention/containment: the obvious care we need to take to avoid viral contamination has been stated mega times.  there are personal and social rules to observe.  this shouldn't mean the nation comes to a stand still, and it hasn't - so far - thankfully. 

the future: we - the American people and our employees, the local, state and fed governments - need to learn from any pandemic and as usual the collective majority has not.  hopefully we smart folks all now know what to stock up on before any winter starts.  epidemics are wars.  perhaps it's also smart if the fed and state governments create a broad plan to enact "militia care centers" around the nation that are fully stocked with proper viral epidemic supplies along with rosters of "militia care personnel" to deploy to these centers for the treatment of the severely afflicted, which could run into the millions.  businesses should likewise have epidemic war plans that dovetail with government plans to keep the economy afloat as the battle ensues.   

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2020, 08:53:07 AM »
So I went over to Dunhams to buy a a target so I can shoot my bow in the basement for the next 3 weeks or so. I had a time of it picking out the one I wanted but the decision was made. I picked out one that was pretty heavy for a 71 year old to handle but I got it in the basement. Yup, I have an 11 block high basement and I can shoot any longbow or recurve I want and I have a few. I ran a rope from the top of the target to the floor joist above so the target would fall forward when I shot or pulled arrows.  I grabbed one of my light weight target bows and shot for 30 minutes. That felt good.

Now I need to get my metal detector out and detect the park down the road.

Trying to move on.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2020, 09:01:30 AM »
JS - yer lucky to have a high ceiling basement!  mine has joists set at 7' off the concrete floor so i hafta kneel, but it's all good and i'm movin' on, too.  :thumbsup:

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2020, 09:13:22 AM »
I believe that covid-19 will be with us for quite awhile, hopefully get major subdued as the weather warms, but it could also easily emerge come this fall/winter.   

Keep in mind that this whole crisis will be in the rear view mirror as soon as an effective vaccine is produced.  Normally, this takes years; fast tracking, they estimate a year to a year and a half.  However, the “fast track” may not be fast enough for many of us who are old with other worrisome conditions.  I would like to see the “fast track” time cut in half by eliminating many of the safety tests and procedures required to release the vaccine.  Many of these tests and procedures are in place to avoid lawsuits from people who are injured by a faulty product, even though those who are producing the vaccine may think it is already safe and effective (obviously, they could be wrong).

What I would like to see is early release of the vaccine for those of us willing to sign a release of our right to sue if we are injured by the vaccine.  The release would be binding on our relatives and other people who might want to jump on the bandwagon.  If I were young and healthy, I would never sign a release like that.  As it is, I would sign it in a moment.  As the president said, “what have we got to lose?”
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2020, 09:27:16 AM »
i'm highly skeptical of any "vaccines".  most that i've reviewed used for flu are loaded with toxins and crap that i wouldn't inject into my dogs let alone humans.  i truly believe these "preventatives" are causing more harm than good, and none have the necessary long term testing, particularly those administered to our children.  immune boosters make more sense, along with common sense proper precautions.  if one has preliminary virus outbreak health issues that compromise the immune system, the need to quarantine thyself is the safest way to go.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/conversations/downloads/vacsafe-understand-color-office.pdf

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2020, 09:37:29 AM »
I'm not saying that it's not serious but how come we are told to stay home have very little contact with everyone BUT the news media is out everywhere among a lot of people. So much for not spreading this virus oh I forget they are professionals, ya. I guess it's a do as I say thing.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2020, 09:58:34 AM »
I'm still social distancing at the ranch.
My wife has an uncle in ICU they are expecting to not make it.  Diabetic 70+ years old.
They took away his ventilator to give to another patient because he wasn't improving.   
Yes it's nasty virus.  Still, I'm gonna go home for a couple days.  Mostly to get some clothes and tools.  Make sure my wife is okay then head back to my fortress of solitude.
Can't shoot my bow with the shoulder down but I can enjoy this spring weather. 
Praise God!!!
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2020, 10:02:26 AM »
For my wife and me in our mid 70s our weak link is having to go to the grocery store at least once/week. We will try "senior hour" from 6-7 AM Wed but I've heard horror stories about that. Stores letting everyone in and overcrowding.

To those who have children at home. I know it can be trying but cherish these moments. They grow up way too fast. My geezerly advice.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2020, 10:47:03 AM »
i'm highly skeptical of any "vaccines".  most that i've reviewed used for flu are loaded with toxins and crap that i wouldn't inject into my dogs let alone humans.  i truly believe these "preventatives" are causing more harm than good, and none have the necessary long term testing, particularly those administered to our children.  immune boosters make more sense, along with common sense proper precautions.  if one has preliminary virus outbreak health issues that compromise the immune system, the need to quarantine thyself is the safest way to go.

Well, I’ve never had any bad side effects from the multitude of vaccines I’ve taken over the years for everything under the sun that I could be vaccinated for, and I’m sure I’ve avoided many diseases I would have otherwise gotten, from flu to polio and many others.  I'd much rather take my chances with the vaccine than the disease, but you pays your money and you takes your choice. 😋
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2020, 11:03:13 AM »

Well, I’ve never had any bad side effects from the multitude of vaccines I’ve taken over the years for everything under the sun that I could be vaccinated for, and I’m sure I’ve avoided many diseases I would have otherwise gotten, from flu to polio and many others.  I'd much rather take my chances with the vaccine than the disease, but you pays your money and you takes your choice. 😋

there are differences in the vaccinations of today than those of mid 20th century.  while there are some vaccines that have passed the test of time, many have not.  the cocktails given to babies/kids today are Very different and like others, i wonder about these child vaccines and their repercussions, particularly with concerns over the dramatic increase in reported child autism.  yearly flu vaccines can change monthly if not weekly, or not at all, in attempts to keep up with changing flu strains, and those are all the plague incarnate to me.  i do feel i have a better chance of surviving the "flu" on my own terms than getting shot up with formaldehyde, aluminum, antibiotics,  and a whole host of other unmentionable "stuff".  i feel there is a greater risk with a "flu shot" than knowing my health condition and taking a chance on "catching the flu".  yep, just a personal call, and i respect anyone's decision as to what to do or not to do, because do any of us really know what any of this (flu, virus, vaccine) is definitively really all about?

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2020, 11:25:52 AM »
Great job turning this thread back into a CORONA VIRUS thread guys! Thanks a bunch.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2020, 01:03:02 PM »
The thing that weighs on me is pretty simple. I am old and have 3 conditions that are common in those who do poorly with COVID-19. This will pass in time, but I guarantee some of us older members will not be around when that happens. With that in mind, now is the time to use common sense and especially to fall back on faith to see us through the potential fear and stress of these times.
Sam

Online achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2020, 02:38:03 PM »
The thing that weighs on me is pretty simple. I am old and have 3 conditions that are common in those who do poorly with COVID-19. This will pass in time, but I guarantee some of us older members will not be around when that happens. With that in mind, now is the time to use common sense and especially to fall back on faith to see us through the potential fear and stress of these times.
I'm with you Sam. 69 years old with heart issues. I was just stacking firewood(slowly) and thinking "Wont this still be here after the quarantine/social distancing/lockdown?"
I'm at peace with my here and hereafter, but I'd like it to be my choice, in as much as possible.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2020, 03:40:05 PM »
Folks come here because it a voice of reasoning where the BS is not tolerated and looking for information granted it's not Traditional Bow related but it's the folks we trust. Rob post about everything we needed to know about COVID-19 I am sure that his information put some folks at ease. Thanks Terry Green and Rob DiStefano and everyone for your help in these times we are all going though. now back to some Trad Gang stuff. 
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©