3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: """WARNING""" watch how you ship your bows!!!!!  (Read 549 times)

Offline baretraks

• Trad Bowhunter
"""WARNING""" watch how you ship your bows!!!!!
« on: April 15, 2008, 02:44:00 AM »
I had my wife a custom longbow built by a very reputable bowyer..... it came today in the mail.

IT was extremely well packaged in one of the triangular shaped, long boxes, just like dozens of bows I've seen shipped and have sent out myself.

I'm not going to post pics.... no need to make anybody sick by looking at it, but the box looked like it had been compressed at the ends, like an accordian,  one limb tip was forced out of the box and caught on something, bending it backwards and nearly breaking it in half.

I've been seeing several boxes like this in the mail, it just happened to be my wifes bad luck that her beautiful little longbow was completely destroyed.....

From now on anything I  ship will be in PVC pipe... I'll just pay for the extra weight....

It's a shame that people are that careless and disrespectful to other peoples property.

Just thought I'd put the word out there.
" Life is hard. It's even harder if your stupid."
-John Wayne

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: """WARNING""" watch how you ship your bows!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 03:48:00 AM »
Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Hap

Offline Elmer Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 03:53:00 AM »
That's bad news. But unfortunately  such bad behavior is very common today.
Elmer Keith

"To the housewife a piece of meat wrapped neatly in plastic has no more emotional effect than a bunch of carrots. But let someone say he is going hunting and her heart bleeds with sympathy for the game. " Fred Bear

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 05:40:00 AM »
That's old news buddy, but I'm sorry for your loss.  I cringe every time I see a bow I bought shipped in those flimsy free tubes.  Nothing more aggravating and expensive than trying to file a claim.  I hope everyone registered reads this!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 05:41:00 AM »
sorry to hear that. I hope it was inured.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 07:25:00 AM »
I ship all my LB's in white PVC tubes I make myself - just for peace of mind.  HOWEVER, last bow I sent down to a mfg to have it re-finished.  They smashed out 1/4 - 1/3 of the bottomn end cap of the PVC tube on the way down.  No damage to the bow but what the heck were they doing with it?

Skinner.
"Who's shooting the girly bow?" - My wife Vicki's comment to one of my X-bow hunting buddies.

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 07:53:00 AM »
Even if it wasn't insured file a complaint.  I have done this with the post office a couple of times because some of our mail was mangled almost beyond recognition.  I got one of my magazines that was missing the cover and a few pages.  The postmaster said he knew it was mine because I was the only one in town who subscribed to it.  He handed it to me along with a complaint form.  It did help.

Dennis

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 08:17:00 AM »
pvc or thick carpet tubes.....
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 08:24:00 AM »
PVC is the only way and it really dosent cost that much more.  I shipped a bow last week in PVC and it cost me less than $10.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 08:24:00 AM »
Carpet tube from the carpet store is free, and strong for shipping bows, also if you go to a fishing or sporting goods store, and see if they have any tubes that they ship their fishing rods in.

I have shipped a couple of bows (4) this last month, and I used tubes and bubble wrap.  I am fortunate though, so far, I have been able to get tubes from my work, but I don't plan on being there that much longer.  But I can still going there and ask for the tubes.  They are a better option.

And I never, I don't care what the bow is worth, I pay the extra five dollars three dollars, whatever it is for the insurance on the bow, or the item I'm shipping.  

That's too bad that they had to do that, even though there was not insurance on it, they should be responsible for the cost of that item, but in today's society you have to prove who did it, and that would be a never-ending battle.  I would talk to the postmaster, and file a heavy strong complaint.  There's no reason for that.

There is no such thing as accepting responsibility for package without obligation.  The post office should be responsible, insurance are no insurance.  It was shipped through them, UPS didn't do the damage, no-brainer.

But in today's society, if you don't get caught, you're not responsible is the attitude of today.

Pastor Carl.
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 08:47:00 AM »
It is my understanding that bows that go down the conveyor lined up with the conveyor will be OK. If they get crosswise nothing can save them when they go through the I-beams, not PVC pipes or anything else. I shipped a heavy osage stave in a carpet tube that was broken in half. If they could break this stave they could break anything.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 09:09:00 AM »
Always ship Priority Mail when using the USPS, the packages go through fewer sets of hands and are better taken care of. Always insure, anything can get broken, so spend a few bucks now or a lot later.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline twotimer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 09:48:00 AM »
as vermonster stated,pay the little extra for ins.and let me add,the postal service pays a ins.claim as a rule without any hassle.and they will accept minimal documentation.ups will fight you tooth and nail to keep from paying.
'TGMM FAMILY of THE BOW"at 211 degrees water is hot.at 212 it boils and cause's steam,which can run a locomotive.is it worth that one extra ounce of effort to finish first,the difference between good and great?

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »
Gotta tell you a quick story about how these things get mangled.  My neighborhood just put in speed bumps.... the road is black and the bumps haven't been painted yet.  I saw a UPS truck hit one at 35mph or so and I swear the back tires were at least three feet off the ground!  I heard everything crashing off the shelves inside the truck... It definitely made me laugh, but I'da been p.o'd if it had a bow coming my way or one of my creations going out!  Bottom line, the fellas and gals delivering the goods and running the distribution centers don't really care, they are just trying to get the job done.  Sadly, that means a good pvc tube and a few extra bucks is the best bet.
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »
I had one bow arrive in a PVC tube minus a end cap. Another had a big chunk busted out of the end of the PVC tube. I think it would have to be on purpose. I have had 2 arrive in boxes with a limb tip sticking out. They were all sent through the Post Office.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline baretraks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 10:28:00 AM »
This bow was insured, but it didn't make us feel any better when we pulled it out of the box. It was heartbreaking to say the least.

The next time I mail one out I think I'll put it in a piece of four inch galvanized pipe!!!! LOL
That would fix'em!!

But I guess it was a valuable lesson. Funny.... it seems like I learn a lot of lessons in just this same manner....
" Life is hard. It's even harder if your stupid."
-John Wayne

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 11:32:00 AM »
baretraks....
    I feel for ya, Nothing like waiting forever for a bow and ya build up all of that exspectaion, to have it crused when the bow is deliverd broken....
    I have had 3 broken bows deliverd....
What is ironic is ya got to pay them to deliver, and then pay extra so that they might deliver it safely....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline twotimer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »
the reason there are chunks out of the end caps or they are missing is the usps cuts a hole in tubes or cardboard boxs or what ever and run fiber optics down them to check for contraband.most all bows you get that come in box's will have a hole about the size of a quarter in it somewere.sign of the time's we live in now
'TGMM FAMILY of THE BOW"at 211 degrees water is hot.at 212 it boils and cause's steam,which can run a locomotive.is it worth that one extra ounce of effort to finish first,the difference between good and great?

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 06:19:00 PM »
I'm supposed to have a new Dwyer longbow shipped today or tomorrow. You guys are scarin me!
                                       Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
ttt
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©