3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Low draw weight and trouble finding arrows.  (Read 2145 times)

Offline Ari_Bonn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Low draw weight and trouble finding arrows.
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2020, 12:57:42 PM »

Well you got to think, my bow is cut before center plus has a strike plate, im using a dacron string not fast flight, my arrow is 28.5" and my draw length is 27.25". The bow is rated 40 @ 28 so i am only shooting about 38# @ my draw length. According to that chart that puts me one block weaker than the A block for aluminums.
[/quote]

I think you used the chart wrong,  you said you shooting those 1716 full length in the.  which is  32".      You go by what you cut the arrows to not your draw length.   so if you use the right side 125,  35-40 and go to the left at 32"  you should be shooting a 2016.  then you can tune from there a bit with points.     if you are shooting a full length 1716   you are dangerously underspined,     because there is also  1816(0.756) and 1916(0.623) between 1716(0.880) and 2016 (0.531).       Im not trying to be an ass or anything im genuinly concerned with your saftey, ive seen arrows through peoples hands shooting arrows underspined.   Also would easily give you a more heavy arrow.  32 grains in the shaft alone.

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2020, 01:06:51 PM »

Well you got to think, my bow is cut before center plus has a strike plate, im using a dacron string not fast flight, my arrow is 28.5" and my draw length is 27.25". The bow is rated 40 @ 28 so i am only shooting about 38# @ my draw length. According to that chart that puts me one block weaker than the A block for aluminums.

I think you used the chart wrong,  you said you shooting those 1716 full length in the.  which is  32".      You go by what you cut the arrows to not your draw length.   so if you use the right side 125,  35-40 and go to the left at 32"  you should be shooting a 2016.  then you can tune from there a bit with points.     if you are shooting a full length 1716   you are dangerously underspined,     because there is also  1816(0.756) and 1916(0.623) between 1716(0.880) and 2016 (0.531).       Im not trying to be an ass or anything im genuinly concerned with your saftey, ive seen arrows through peoples hands shooting arrows underspined.   Also would easily give you a more heavy arrow.  32 grains in the shaft alone.
[/quote] full length on 1716's isnt 32" they list them as 29" but really from inset to nock throat they messure 28.5".
Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

Offline Ari_Bonn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2020, 01:13:43 PM »
Ah you are correct, ive never shot 1716   so i naturally assumed they were 32"    but still   at least a 1816.   a   1916 would be better if want to load the tip weight up a bit.      im not sure a 1716 is suitable for hunting.   i believe its only a jazz arrow 

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2020, 02:01:50 PM »
Here is an example of how I have used the PDP weights in the past for one of my setups.  It is too heavy for yours, but gives you the idea.  Basic arrow is 2016 Gamegetter II aluminum at 29 3/8 BOP.  That arrow weighs 390 gr with the 30gr pdp insert.  Add 40gr of weights and 125gr broadhead gets me an arrow that weighs 555gr,  That spines at 47.1#.  Before the weights, the calculator shows that arrow spines at 60#.

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2020, 01:16:29 AM »
I recently picked up a 40# great northern bushbow and once you factor in a dacron string, the centercut being before center, the side plate and my 27.25" draw i need a dynamic spine around 29#. Im currently shooting full length 1716 aluminums with 125 grain tips which put me at 10 gpp but im having trouble finding any other arrow options that are wear enough without being either way too light or have to be 32-34" to spine out correctly. Should i just be happy with the arrow selection i am currently using which shoot fine or should i still go for something slughtly heavier for hunting

pick up black eagle carnivore and load the front end up with some 265 tuffheads. high foc and a strong consistent shaft - whats not to like
?
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2020, 07:10:21 AM »
If you go to a heavier draw weight you can shoot heavier arrows for same or better speed, and greater momentum for hunting.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2020, 08:55:38 AM »
I recently picked up a 40# great northern bushbow and once you factor in a dacron string, the centercut being before center, the side plate and my 27.25" draw i need a dynamic spine around 29#. Im currently shooting full length 1716 aluminums with 125 grain tips which put me at 10 gpp but im having trouble finding any other arrow options that are wear enough without being either way too light or have to be 32-34" to spine out correctly. Should i just be happy with the arrow selection i am currently using which shoot fine or should i still go for something slughtly heavier for hunting

Don’t over think it. Shoot an arrow that flies good and you’re all set. You will waste a lot of time, money, and energy on this, trust me. Lol. I’d shoot wood instead of aluminum if you want more weight, but I’d stick to aluminum or wood with a normal head weight. It’ll fly good and I’ve killed plenty, as have many many others with a rig like that without heavy FOC and All that newer stuff. Or if you like to tinker get after it. I’ve seen family members kill deer with 32# and wood arrows light zwikeys no problem.  You’re keeping shots short regardless.

I will say that I would think a 1916 would be the right arrow and just adjust the length..should work fine that’s what I shoot out of 40#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©