3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Low draw weight and trouble finding arrows.  (Read 2147 times)

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
Low draw weight and trouble finding arrows.
« on: March 27, 2020, 10:55:46 PM »
I recently picked up a 40# great northern bushbow and once you factor in a dacron string, the centercut being before center, the side plate and my 27.25" draw i need a dynamic spine around 29#. Im currently shooting full length 1716 aluminums with 125 grain tips which put me at 10 gpp but im having trouble finding any other arrow options that are wear enough without being either way too light or have to be 32-34" to spine out correctly. Should i just be happy with the arrow selection i am currently using which shoot fine or should i still go for something slughtly heavier for hunting
Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Low draw weight and trouble finding arrows.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 11:18:39 PM »
If your current setup is shooting fine, is there any real need to keep looking? 10 gpp sounds pretty good to me.
Sam

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 11:25:09 PM »
I guess it just feels weird only shooting a 400 grain arrow for hunting.

Offline BearBandit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 12:02:54 AM »
You could always build out your side plate.   Or go to carbons find a shaft with a lower gpi and higher spine than what you're shooting and put more weight up front. Or both Haha.

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 12:33:05 AM »
Douglas Fir would probably get you to where you wanna be.
"Leaves are fallin all around..time I was on my way." -Led Zeppelin

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 09:09:02 AM »
Why not step up your point weight to say 200 and then you would have a lot more options. Putting a padded skinny FF on it would help a good bit too.  I've blown thru whitetail and stuck in the ground with a 45# bow and 500gr arrow setup.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 09:14:14 AM by bucknut »
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Tomas Stieber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 12:57:49 PM »
10 grs. per pound of bow weight is perfect for that bow. A good tuned arrow and sharp broadhead are more important than an arrow that's heavier than it has to be.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 01:23:57 PM »
There's an old saying "if it's not broke, don't fix it"
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2020, 05:01:29 PM »
Big Jim set me up with GT Entrada 600 carbons for my 40# bows. I use 200 grain heads and pull 27 1/2". Work great...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2020, 09:05:46 PM »
Based on your shorter draw. I think you would really benefit from 40/45 spruce shafts from custom king , 40/45 fir or 45/50 cedar.  You will be hitting around 500 grains with a 29 inchish arrow and 125 grain head. Should fly perfectly and get you the weight you want. I use the spruce shafts from kustom king 28 bucks a dozen weight matched plus minus 5 grains 5lb spine. Never had a bad batch.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 12:26:41 PM »
Since you are shooting aluminum I see that you aren't strictly a wood arrow shooter. In that case I would suggest you go to carbons. I noticed a big difference in penetration when I switched to carbons and front loaded them. Like stated above a 600 spine carbon should work fine.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline mmilinovich

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2020, 07:17:46 PM »
An 86-year-old friend of mine shoots daily and refuses to consider an end to his deer hunting.  He has gotten his deer each of the last two years, shooting a 31# bow and 400 grain arrows.  Your projected setup is a lot more stout than his.  You'll have no problem.

Mark

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2020, 07:31:14 PM »
Ive killed enough deer w 400 grain arrows to tell you that hunting w 400 grain arrows should not feel weird.  I haven't bought into the ultra heavy arrow concept.  As you know, tuned, sharp, and well placed is key.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2020, 08:09:37 PM »
I've been shooting 40-45# bows for a bunch of years; my preference is always wood (so far, anyway). I can rarely get a 10GPP arrow with either spruce, cedar, or doug fir. That's with 125grn heads, and a light finish of tung oil. I end up shooting 10.5 or 11gpp at best.

I always ask for the lightest (premium) shafts, preferring a flatter trajectory out to 20+ yards. You'd have no trouble whatsoever getting a heavier arrow if you're open to wood shafts, but my preference would be staying with 10GPP.

Offline stocker56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2020, 10:57:10 PM »
With my 42# to 45# Caribow longbows I have been using Trad only 600 at 29 1/4 in. at 27 in draw. They come out at 400 gr with 145 gr out front. They bare shaft great out to 30 meters and I got full pass through this year on a nice white tail. Sharp broadhead and placement are everything.
The brotherhood of man is taken too lightly. The brotherhood of the bow is not. --- Craig Stocker

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2020, 05:58:37 AM »
James Pyles of JP Enterprises has light spine wood shafts. I believe 25/30 and 35/40 He builds the for 3Rivers
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline Ari_Bonn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2020, 09:43:17 AM »
1716 seems much much too low, should be around 1916   maybe even 2016 if full length.   im surprised it hasn't gone through your hand.

This chart has very rarely let me down whether its recurve, longbow,  selfbow,   ect.

Online Montanabows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2020, 09:52:17 AM »
I recently picked up a 40# great northern bushbow and once you factor in a dacron string, the centercut being before center, the side plate and my 27.25" draw i need a dynamic spine around 29#. Im currently shooting full length 1716 aluminums with 125 grain tips which put me at 10 gpp but im having trouble finding any other arrow options that are wear enough without being either way too light or have to be 32-34" to spine out correctly. Should i just be happy with the arrow selection i am currently using which shoot fine or should i still go for something slughtly heavier for hunting

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2020, 12:02:45 PM »
1716 seems much much too low, should be around 1916   maybe even 2016 if full length.   im surprised it hasn't gone through your hand.

This chart has very rarely let me down whether its recurve, longbow,  selfbow,   ect.
Well you got to think, my bow is cut before center plus has a strike plate, im using a dacron string not fast flight, my arrow is 28.5" and my draw length is 27.25". The bow is rated 40 @ 28 so i am only shooting about 38# @ my draw length. According to that chart that puts me one block weaker than the A block for aluminums.

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2020, 12:42:19 PM »
I thought I had posted a reply previously but I don’t see it.  One option for you so that you don’t have to buy a whole bunch of various weight points is to try the PDP weight system for your aluminums.  They allow you to screw on small weights to the back of the insert and thus vary the weight at the front.  Using those would allow you to experiment with a whole variety of aluminum shafts and lengths to find an arrow that flies properly and gives you the desired overall weight.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©