3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow flight problem  (Read 225 times)

Offline longshadow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Arrow flight problem
« on: April 15, 2008, 01:49:00 PM »
Need some help guys, I am shooting a JD Berry Viper mild reflex/deflex  59#@28 and I am drawing 26" so problably about 55# @26. My arrows are 50-55 poplar cut to 27 1/2" to back of point,125 gr field points. My fletched arrows are sprialing to the target, not just left and right or up and down, but spiraling.I also tried arrows that were 28 1/2" same spiraling. Moved nock point from 5/8 down to 5/16 and still same problem. Tried to bareshaft with the 27 1/2" fletched and they are hitting  same point of impact. Actually shooting very good 5" group with fletched and bare shafts at 20 yds. I just can't get good arrow flight.  Any help would be appreciated. It is getting really frustrating

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow flight problem
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 03:49:00 PM »
Just a thought, do you have a very contrasting cock feather on your arrows? Sometimes with one odd colored feather, it can appear the arrow is spiralling. Try fletching an arrow with all the same colored feathers and see if it still shows the same flight.

Your setup doen't look bad. The shafts may be a tad weak, but if the bareshafts are shooting to the same point, I would doubt it.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »
I'm having the same problem.  I'm shooting arrows that I fletched after adjusting the helical setting on my fletcher (it got bumped out of place), and my arrows started flying in tight spirals when I shoot broadheads.  My guess is there's too much twist in the feathers. I'm going to re-fletch them, straightening the lay of the feather on the shaft, and see if it changes things.  This hasn't happened to me before.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 05:40:00 PM »
I would change the brace height a little at a time (likely increase)and play with nock height as well-don't do both at the same time; and if possible have another archer look at the arrows in flight. I too would have voted for 'too weak' except for the bare shafting results.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 06:13:00 PM »
I have a JD Berry and mine likes underspined arrows. My bow is 64" 64#@28", and I draw to 28" or better, and it likes 55/60.

Try 45/50 or even 40/45, you might be surprised.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 06:28:00 PM »
Are your arrows spinning true in a spinner? Are your nocks true? Are they a good fit or too tight on the string?

Interesting thought about the contrasting cock feather looking like it is wobbling...gonna have to look at that next time out at the range. A mere spine problem shouldn't cause a spiral.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline longshadow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 08:33:00 AM »
ttt

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »
I know it is not the favored method, but have you paper tuned?  It likely may be the optical illusion with too contrasting of a cock feather.  Re-fletch one with all the same, and see if you still have it.  That is the cheapest first step.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline longshadow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 11:19:00 AM »
My feather are all one color. I'll try my brace height again and see if that might work, I'll go even higher, the only problem with that is I have already found the sweet spot, the bow is quiet as death. Changing nock point didn't work before but I'll try it again too. I have a few 45-50's to try. Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll have to keep working at it, sooner of later something has to fix this sprialing.....
Thanks again, Al

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©