3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lets tell some funny experiences  (Read 1800 times)

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lets tell some funny experiences
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2020, 08:03:05 PM »
A few years ago, I arranged with a landowner to bowhunt his land for five days.  He set me up in a tree stand, where my seat was about the same level as the top of a small hill about 30-40 yards in front of me.  Behind me was sparsely wooded terrain for a long ways.  He showed me photos from a trail cam of a decent blacktail buck that  liked to come down the hill and eat a bush 15 yards or so from my stand.  The prevailing wind blew off the hill towards me.  He said for me to just have patience and wait until the buck started eating the bush. Everything he said made sense to me, and the prevailing wind was right.  So I sat there and faced the slope of the hill in front of me without moving as much as I could manage for 4 1/2 days, without seeing anything.  Finally around noon of the 5th day, I was expecting him to come by in his pickup truck and pick me up for the last time.  After seeing nothing for 4 1/2 days, I decided to stand up and stretch and look at the view behind me for a while, which I did.  When I finally turned around, you guessed it, there he was eating the bush.  I don't know who was more surprised, him or me.  All I know is that he was gone before I could move my hand in the direction of my bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2020, 10:03:45 AM »
I relayed this story several years ago, but it is worth repeating for a chuckle or two. When my son, Parks, was too young to hunt by himself, he would sometimes sit in the stand with me. We had a large platform tree stand with side rails on it. I could safely shoot the bow from it even with two of us in the stand. We called it the Hilton. On the way to the stand, my son asked me what buck fever is. I explained the adrenaline rush, the shakiness, and the excitement, but it was foreign to him, and it was obvious that he didn't quite get it.

After being in the Hilton for a while, I saw a small buck approaching. He was heading right for us. Parks took one look at him, he began to shake, and his eyes opened wide. He remained quiet, so I tried to set up what should have been a gimme shot as the little guy was only 10 yards or so from us and was standing stock still. Well Parks couldn't resist taking one more peek and placed his hands on the rail as he leaned to look. This caused a small squeaking noise that turned that little deer inside out. He jumped up, turned around in the air and looked all around for the source of the noise. He was still very close, which allowed me to again try for a shot. However, I couldn't hold it in any longer and, at half draw, busted out laughing. Then the little buck took off. When I looked back at my son, he still had that wild eyed look and was shaking like a leaf. He looked at me and said, "Dad, it sure is cold" to which I replied, "Son, now you know all there is to know about buck fever".
Sam

Offline Pflum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2020, 12:30:52 PM »
This past November, a buddy of mine, James, from Chicago came down to hunt Ky for a week with us. He's been hunting for several years and has killed a couple does and small bucks. Towards the end of the week he got a shot at an 8 pointer and took it. He felt good about the hit, got down and found some hair/blood at the site of the hit, and then came back to the house.

Dad had shot and killed a doe the same morning a hill over from where James was hunting. He already had her hanging by the time James got back to camp. I was the last to return and wanted to grab a bite to eat before we went and looked for James' buck. Dad wanted to go try to find his arrow from the doe. James stayed with me and we planned on meeting him at James' stand in about a half hour.

We met Dad, who hadn't found his arrow, and started following a very good bloodtrail. I knew the buck wouldn't be far. About 150 yards into the trail we saw him in a little drainage. James ran up to him and started checking him out, then looked back with a confused look on his face. He thought it was his buck, but there was a different arrow sticking in the deer! About 5 seconds passed then Dad burst out laughing.

Well unbeknownst to us, Dad had found his arrow, and also stumbled upon James' dead buck. He swapped the arrows and then met us and followed the blood trail like nothing had happened. We all got a pretty good laugh from that one.

As a side note, I hunted the same stand James killed the buck from that evening, and when I got there the bow rope was strung out all the way to the trail (climbing stand). I think he was so excited about the buck he took off without untying his bow from the rope. That image gave me a pretty good laugh too.

Offline wapitishooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2020, 01:19:05 PM »
A good friend of mine told me this happened to him. One morning while out hunting ,he sat in his stand until 10. Havuing seen nothing he started back to his truck , decided to walk to an open crp field and glass before leaving. While he was glassing about 150 yds out in this fied was an old steel tower. As he was looking around that tower he saw antlers of a bedded buck. The wind was in his favor, so he started his stalk. After close to 2 hours of belly crawling and hands and knees ,he was in range of 10yds of this buck! He slowly stood and drawing as he stood he realized something was wrong. He sid it took him so long to stalk that the deer died while waiting lol, all that was there was his skull!

Offline elk nailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2020, 06:52:05 PM »
Didn't want to post this but here goes.

a Sunday morning about 10 yrs ago, pulled into my regular parking spot and started to get my stuff together. Wasn't really in a hurry but when I shut the door I realized that my keys were in the ignition. Rather than ruin a hunt I forged on.
No deer shot, no deer seen. Got back to my van tried to get in, no luck. Got to thinkin  how am I going to get in. Well I came up with a plan. The wife was at church so she was out so I grabbed my bow pulled out a judo point and drew back about half way on my passenger side window and letter rip. Well it hit the glass and just bounced straight back. So I grabbed the judo put it back on the string and this time gave it the full force of my 55# Caribow.

Well that arrow went through the passenger side window and the drivers side window so fast it would make your head spin.

Thank God for comp, ins.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2020, 07:36:45 PM »
There has been a time or two that I have executed the perfect 100 yard stalk on a bedded hog, verified it was a hog not a log with binos, got in great position, made sure I had figured out the body angle of the hog, taken an excellent well drawn, precisely performed shot through the smallest hole in the briar patch and drilled a sharp broad head into a stone dead pig.  One killed the week before on the hello shoot.
 :campfire: :knothead:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 10:31:15 PM by Wudstix »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2020, 08:11:33 AM »
Back in the late sixties ( I was about 15 or 16 ) shortly after me and my brothers had gotten into archery a friend down the street wanted to get into with us.
So he went down TG & Y and bought a solid glass bow and came over to the house to shoot. We stood back and watched as he nocked his first arrow and proceeded to draw it past his ear. We kept quiet and grinned.
Yep, you guessed it. His release was followed by a loud "YEOW"!!!
We had a good laugh after that and then proceeded to teach him some correct form AND anchors.
[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©