3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A spray clear that I have not heard mentioned  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
A spray clear that I have not heard mentioned
« on: April 06, 2020, 08:23:50 PM »
Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel? It says indoor and outdoor. Can it be sprayed of acrylic cresting without it ruining it?
Anyone use it?

Thanks,
Tedd
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 08:11:54 AM by Tedd »

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A spray clear that I have not heard mentioned
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 08:11:34 AM »
I did some quick trials using a culled cedar shaft. Using Rustoleum 2X gloss white spray as a cap with true north acrylic cresting paints on top. I crested while the white cap was only about an hour old. I then put the Crystal Clear Enamel over the cresting about 10 minutes later. The cresting lines were still sticky. The Crystal Clear had no effect on the cresting lines at all and really made it pop. I would normally wait for things to dry better than that but I was trying to see if the tendency was to dissolve cresting lines.
I also put some clear right on the raw shaft. At the same time. That was about 10:00 PM. This morning that shaft is dry enough to shoot and it looks like one coat on the raw wood would be enough. I'm sure 2-3 thin coats would be better.
I don't see any yellowing of the white cap.
I have a carbon shaft cap painted now and will crest and clear coat then fletch to check adhesion. I have both Duco and Goat Tuff to try.
(I have been using wraps for a while because its so easy on carbons. But it's just not the same as hand crested.)
Anyone have one of the cresters in the plywood case that is driven with O-rings for drive belts? Mine blew a main drive belt.
Tedd

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 08:30:25 AM »
I’ll be following this have a dozen footed Shafer’s to cap and crest for my daughter.

Thank you for the experimentation.  :thumbsup:

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 08:06:48 PM »
Black Eagle Vintage shaft, Rustoleum cap, tyre north cresting paint, covered with one coat of Rustoleum Crystal Clear. A bit of a rush job but turned out good. No runs, the clear dries extremely fast and covers very well.

This weekend I see if it holds feather with duco and super glue. And check it for target burn.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 08:31:04 PM »
Tedd, PM me your address and I will send you a couple belts for your crestor. I have one of those cresters, some years ago I went to a O ring specialty business and bought a few extra. I don’t use that machine that much anymore since I bought a Spinrite.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 08:41:22 PM »
Awesome will do! I got it running with a rubber band at the moment. It is a bit jumpy.
Tedd

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 12:16:00 PM »
Tedd, did you spray the yellow over the white? I had issues doing that with Rustolem 2X for outdoor use. I emailed them and they said it took a week to cure before applying over the white. Maybe I am using a different 2X?

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 12:31:35 PM »
M60, I'll have to go check the mail for those O-rings! I'm out of the cresting game until I fix it.
Yes, I did spray over the white. Have done it often. I don't recall a problem. Maybe had it wrinkle once or twice on a humid day or that could have been another brand. It does say re-coat within 1 hour or after 48 hrs. I only use the 2X because there are so many colors. I'd use commercial grade stuff if they had the right colors. Next trip to the store I'll get some industrial paint.
I used the Crystal Clear on a wood shaft and shot it into straw and foam deer. It had no more target burn than anything else I use. It dries really fast. Super easy to use. Nice build up you want that. Stays clear on top of the cresting paints.
My favorite wood arrow finish is wipe on tru oil. But tru oil will dull the bright cap and cresting colors.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 08:02:57 PM »
Ted what color yellow is that?  I have a dozen footed shafts for my daughter I’d like to spray cap and crest.  I may need some help

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2020, 09:24:20 PM »
Nice work Tedd!

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2020, 08:31:59 PM »

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2020, 08:34:02 PM »
M60,
Your envelope arrive and the O-rings fit perfectly! I don't think the crested has ever run so smoothly! Thank you,
Tedd

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2020, 08:36:59 PM »
Gator, the cresting band is the chartreuse neon color from tru north.
Tedd

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2020, 08:38:13 PM »
Ted is that the 2x variety?

Thank you.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2020, 09:00:57 PM »
Sorry,
Yes it is the 2X. I think I have about a dozen colors. I would guess there are stronger spray paints. But its seems to cover well and dries really fast.
Tedd

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2020, 09:09:06 PM »
Thank you.  I appreciate the info.

Offline Ari_Bonn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2020, 01:33:01 PM »
Ive tried it   It did not hold up well as a straight up finish,  changed the color of my metallic testors,    mt solid colors were fine (truenorth)   it really didn't seem to protect them very well though.

It does dry  extremely fast however.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©