3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Poundage question?  (Read 547 times)

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
Poundage question?
« on: April 15, 2008, 11:39:00 PM »
I have only been shooting traditional for around 15 months so I’m relatively new to this side (I’ve not shot my compound since) but I did shoot a compound for 25 years prior, so I guess I’m not new either.

Poundage…wish I would have listened to the masses and started lower than I did but when your dumb ya half to be tuff.  I started last spring with my Savannah 50@28” drawn to 29” so it’s around 52-53#’s.  I can shoot this very comfortably now for an extended session if I shoot 3 arrows at a time and don’t over do it.  I can do it accurately out to around 15-18 yards.  I learned the hard way to get the form down and worry about the rest later…this took about three weeks to learn and a very sore body.  I have since learned to shoot only as long as I can concentrate on perfect form…this may be 12 arrows or it may be 70 arrows, but I stop shooting when I get frustrated or tired.

Now for the question???  Could I buy a Savannah that is rated for #60@28 or is this too much of a stretch/weight jump?  I know there are several good custom jobs out there for that kind of money but I like the grip of my Savannah and I shoot it well, not to mention I like the bow’s looks.  I’m not a speed nut and pride myself on accuracy…speed isn’t everything.  Is it too early to jump up that much?  I don’t have access to a #60 longbow to shoot for a period of time to see how it affects my concentration.

Just don’t want to make another bad decision and go over what I’m capable of, but at the same time don’t want to buy a Savannah rated at #55 and then jump again to #60…too expensive and the wife already said no dice on that idea.   "[dntthnk]"  

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Poundage question?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 12:52:00 AM »
Hey Josh,

There's a 60# Savannah just listed in the classifieds for $325.00....If it's too heavy...sell it and get your money back.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=023201

10# is a pretty good jump, but easily doable if you're shooting your current one easily.

Mike

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 01:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by RAW HIDE:
Hey Josh,

There's a 60# Savannah just listed in the classifieds for $325.00....If it's too heavy...sell it and get your money back.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=023201  

10# is a pretty good jump, but easily doable if you're shooting your current one easily.

Mike
Thanks for the link...I'm going to take a look.  I think the more I concentrate on form the more I realize how the poundage affects me.  Short drawing, easing forward just before the release...not focusing.  I really see the difference when I shoot my Kota at 46#...it is exactly that poundage at 29.5".  I'd love to see what my Savannah actually is drawn to 29.5"...going to need to get it to someone that has a drawing board to see.

Josh
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »
I'll probly catch some flak from the "whompum-stompum" crowd LOL,but WHY do you feel you need more weight?????

#1) Your Savannah is already paid for

#2) If your drawing 29 1/2" your already drawing more than 50#,your drawing low to mid 50's which is actualy about average for "traditional" bowhunters.

#3) Martin bows are "known" for being "overweight" i.e. they draw more than thier marked weight. If your bow is actualy drawing 54# -55# pounds at 28" you could actualy be draw 57# -58# which is MORE than enough for any North American big game.

My point is this.....This is not like the "compound game" where more weight X a super light arrow = a faster arrow + longer range.

With "traditional" equipment you shoot the appropriate weight arrows for your draw weight,(approx. 10grs. per pound) i.e. if you draw 50# you should shoot a 500-550gr. arrow.

My suggestion would be to keep your Savannah. then,if you ever decide you would like to get a "differant" bow.....You can also think about a "differant" draw weight.
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »
Woodchucker - the voice of reason...  :notworthy:
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 10:11:00 AM »
Yep I agree with the Above....Why go to 60#
Keep what ya got and shoot it well....
    That bow and a well placed sharp Broadhead will Kill anything on the North American Soil....
    Use what ya got and make sure you have good arrow flight....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 02:02:00 PM »
Josh, another thing to keep in mind is where we hunt...if your struggling a touch to draw 60# repeatly in the spring/summer try it after sitting in the cold winter all day with a bunch of clothes on. I suggest finding a poundage you can shoot all day comfortably and accurately..
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 02:16:00 PM »
Why not go to 60? when I got back into Recurves 8 or 10 years ago I bought a 57# bow. shot it a while and added a 66# bow. Before I went to Africa I ordered a 74# bow. Decided to try a longbow. Bought a 57 pounder. I liked it so I ordered a 70 pounder. A man can never own too many bows. My new 84# PSAV should be here in mid May.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »
My 2 cents: whenever that voice starts up inside your head urging you to go a little heavier, play a trick on it and go a little lighter instead.  Your body will thank you, your form will thank you, and your accuracy will thank you.  Unless you are going to Africa, a 60lb bow is superfluous.  JMHO, Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline chuck172

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 05:01:00 PM »
I have two sets of limbs for my Martin Hatfield. 45# and 60#. No comparison between the two. The 60# is like lightning. Trajectory is flat out to 25 yard like my old compound. The 60 fires like a rocket. I like the 45# for everyday shooting and form work, but I really like the 60# for hunting.

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 05:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Diamond Paul:
My 2 cents: whenever that voice starts up inside your head urging you to go a little heavier, play a trick on it and go a little lighter instead.  Your body will thank you, your form will thank you, and your accuracy will thank you.  Unless you are going to Africa, a 60lb bow is superfluous.  JMHO, Paul.
O fine throw out a big word just to confuse us Texans

Offline scriv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 06:57:00 PM »
The only advantage I can see to more weight is it's easier to get a cleaner release.  This is more than out weighed by the disadvantages.  Most of which were already mentioned.  Drawing the bow when you have been sitting in the cold for hours is huge.  I like low poundage for many reasons' but one of my favorites is that I love to shoot.  I like to quit when I am mentally tired rather than physically.    :archer:
Shoot strait and have fun!

Toelke Whip
Black Widow PLX
A&H ACS-CX
Hoyt Formula RX

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »
I like to shoot a variety of bows, and found that a couple of years ago when I first tried 60 pounds it seemed just out of reach. Okay, I said, give it a rest. I put a lot of time in with 45-50-55 pounders, and then bought an old 60 pound Howatt Hunter for the heck of it this Spring. (It pulls an honest 60 on my bow scale)

Surprise - it was comfortable to shoot this year, and when I shoot my 50+ pounders, they feel like target bows. If nothing else, the higher weight bows build your upper body bow strength to make your shooting of the midrange weight bows improve. They also have more zip.

Egads - does this mean I will eventually move up to a 65 pound training bow to improve my ease with the 60 pounder?

Offline BSBD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »
Everyone is different.
People who say you won't need more than 45-50 usually can't shoot a bow accurately with more weight.
For me, 65-70 at 29 is perfect. I can shoot high 70's without a problem and when I move down to my regular 67ish bow it feels so easy and smooth.
Plus I get much better penetration on game, which helps if you don't get the perfect release in a hunting situation.

Dave

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 09:33:00 PM »
I think I'm going to have to build a draw board to see exactly what I'm holding with at my draw...this would help with my decision.  As Woodchucker stated it may be heavier than I think…which is the way it feels compared to my Kota is.  Man is my Kota smooth and it does hold nice.

Either way I'm not going to get rid of my current Savannah...first new bow I bought in 10 years of any kind.  

The reason I wanted another Savannah that was heavier is I've been looking at several different custom bow and can't find one I like as well as my Savannah.  The grip just fits my hand…granted the Striker line is very nice.  Okay while I’m admitting things the Cari-bow’s are very nice also, shot one of these this winter and WOW is all I can say…+ they are works of art.

I guess it was just one of those questions I wasn’t sure of the answer.  I just don’t want to bite off more than I can chew…again   :knothead:  .  The more people I meet in this traditional circle the more I learn…it’s easier to ask questions ahead of time than it is to wonder after the fact.  I just think since I can shoot my Savannah well and I really like the bow I could get a heavier poundage bow and shot it the same, with practice of course.

Thanks again all,

Josh
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline BigArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 12:52:00 AM »
I agree with the can't have too many bows idea.  I make all mine but its the same thing.  
I shoot relatively heavy bows and will do it all day.  Or I take out a lighter one just for fun.
It almost takes more concentration with the lighter bows. It seems so light it throws me off of my game and I have to bring my mind back to the center.  Sort of teaching the mind to avoid interferences and just shoot the arrow.
Now, as to shooting the big bows, I not only shoot them quite a bit but finish the sessions often by pulling to a good full draw and holding for 10 to 30 seconds.  Or draw the bow for 3 or so sets of 20 times picking spots on flowers, trees, anything and really making the muscles work to prepare for the next time.
I works for me. I use 90 to 100 # bows and will shoot all day or shoot the 28 target course usually shooting 3 or 4 arrows per target.  Just having fun and shooting with my friends.

I also shoot all the bows I make at least a few times to make sure I like them.  Which means shooting 20# and up bows and its fun.

BigArcher

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 01:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by BSBD:
Everyone is different.
People who say you won't need more than 45-50 usually can't shoot a bow accurately with more weight.
For me, 65-70 at 29 is perfect. I can shoot high 70's without a problem and when I move down to my regular 67ish bow it feels so easy and smooth.
Plus I get much better penetration on game, which helps if you don't get the perfect release in a hunting situation.

Dave
I agree 100%...Especially the "People who say you won't need more than 45-50 usually can't shoot a bow accurately with more weight." part.

Get you a 60# bow and practice with it...and see. Maybe you can be accurate with it...maybe you can't.

IMHO, I don't consider 60-65# heavy. Take this "40-50# is all you need" with a grain of salt. That maybe all some people need or can shoot...that's fine and I know dead is dead no matter the poundage, but if you WANT a 60# bow and have no problem with 60# and you're just as accurate with it as you are the lighter bow....more is always better, in hunting situations, if you're accurate, IMHO!

Mike

Offline chuck172

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 06:27:00 AM »
Thats where the takedowns shine. Having two sets of limbs is great. Never have to wish for more or wish for less.

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 10:20:00 AM »
I started at 48#s, my heaviest bow is 72#'s now. I love to shoot the heavy ones outdoors. I was always asking the trad guys I knew why I couldn't Accuratly hit out to 30 yards and I never really got an answer. Well the higher in #'s I went the easier those longer range targets were to hit. I love being able to shoot long range, I will probly never shoot an animal at long range but love to launch arrows down the range and actually hit what I am looking at and it makes a big difference at least for me.
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by chuck172:
Thats where the takedowns shine. Having two sets of limbs is great. Never have to wish for more or wish for less.
This is part of the reason I wanted another Savannah...just heavier.  I shoot my #50 well and I feel the same bow with a heavier weight would be great, about the same as having multiple limbs for a takedown.  

I have found one or two other bow that I like...Cari-bow and strikers.  Both of these are great bows.  The Silver Fox is my dream bow, several great examples have been shown here and I drool every time.  The other is a Striker Takedown longbow, this bow impressed me and Rick was very nice to talk to at the Kzoo show.

So many options...

Josh
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©