3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My Record for Weight Loss on a Bow  (Read 2674 times)

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
My Record for Weight Loss on a Bow
« on: April 11, 2020, 01:36:50 PM »
Spending a lot of time in my shop...reducing weight on my older bows and forging knives.  I started shooting traditional bows in 1980.  For several years I just shot Robertson Stykbows and Great Northerns.  This Robertson Heritage longbow was one of my first real custom bows (even though it was used when I bought it).  Robertson Heritage Stykbow 68" 68#@28...Reduced weight by 30#.
Now 68" 38#@28 in nice tiller and shooting again after 40 years...tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: My Record for Weight Loss on a Bow
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 02:13:18 PM »
That's quite a feat! I'm wondering how in the world you can reduce that much and still have a shootable bow (purely curiosity). Do you take down mostly the thickness, the width, or I'd guess both? Remove then replace laminations?

Offline wapitishooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 03:16:02 PM »
I would like to know the process of reducing weight. If you would, like to know how you do it.

Offline Bob D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 03:23:54 PM »
I would also like to know how to do that properly. I have a whole wall of bows I couldn’t pull to save my life. Any knowledge about your methods you would be willing to pass on to an old crippled dub like me would be appreciated.
I was always under the impression that 10 lbs was the most that one could expect  but then I saw where Chris Unger at Bearpaw in Germany took a recurve from 55 lbs to 22 lbs. Thats the reduction I need.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 04:55:46 PM »
I now reduce 95% of the weight by taking glass off the Belly & Back.  Rarely do I trap the sides as you don't take much weight off there.  I use my KMG knife grinder with the rotary platin attachment.  It supports the 72X2 inch grinding belt with a rubber belt.  I will grind with a worn out 220 grit belt so I don't gouge the glass.  With that I can skim/feather off glass very thinly.  The process is multiple passes on each limb on both sides.  I'm continually checking weight and tiller.  I takes me about a half hour to reduce a bow.  Also I'm a pretty good grinder from forging knives for the past 15+ years.

Now if you tried this by hand, you wind up at the doctor's office getting a cortisone shot in your elbow or wrist...I know as I started that way :)

Disclaimer:  I only do this on my bows, they are never sold, and I don't do it for anyone else.  Too much liability even though I never broken a bow.  I do pull all the reduced bows on my tillering tree beyond 32 inches and I pull 27 1/2 to 28 inches on these lighter bows...tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Bob D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 09:38:14 AM »
Thanks Tippit, :notworthy: I have never tillered a bow either so I have a whole lot of learning to do. I better get started...

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 10:03:42 AM »
Tippit, how far down the limbs do you grind/sand to take the weight off, 13"-14" or more. Thank you.

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 10:05:55 AM »
 :clapper:  Thanks for the information.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 09:45:24 AM »
Man that bow must have had .050 glass on both sides
. 30 lbs. on my bows would be quite a bit reduction in stack.
High on Archery.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2020, 11:49:52 AM »
Crooked Stic
You're right taking that much weight leaves very little glass...but the bow that is left has significantly less stress with the weight reduction.  Again for me and only me... they shoot incredibly well and I try to break them on my tillering tree before I even start to shoot them. 

The Whittler,
As to where I start and finish grinding, I go from the riser fades to about 6 inches from the tips.  Most importantly any transition areas from thin glass to thicker glass has to to feathered so you Don't feel that transition which would cause a hinge effect.  It is important to feel the entire length of the limb for any irregular areas.  When I grind a knife, I can feel any uneven areas with my fingers better than looking for them.

You would need to have a tillering set up to be able to pull your reduced bow to make sure your tiller is good and to check your weight reduction.  Mine is just a 2x4 with a holding area for the bow with scale attached at the string and pulling from the base of the 2x4....

Two ways to visualize your tiller is to 1) hold your bow with the string up and with the other hand either push the limb tip up or pull it down.  Then look at the opposite limb how it reacts.  By pulling or pushing on one limb tip you make the other limb react to being either week or strong.  Try it on any of your bows and you'll see the reaction. 

2) The other way to visualize your tiller is to hang the bow by the string on a wall with horizonal boards or a lay it on a tile floor to see the evenness of the limbs.

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2020, 01:18:20 PM »
You can do this with a palm sander too, probably easier for most people to do those belts take a special talent!!  If you are not using too heavy of an abrasive, 220 would take forever so I’d probably go 120, 150, and then finish with 220. Unless you just want to remove a little then go 150 or 220.  Go evenly, replace the sanding pad pretty often, and check your work. Count your passes and be consistent.

Also, you can knock off a lot of pounds just by taking 150 then 220 and rounding the corners of the bow but just make sure you’re liking what you’re doing. And again be consistent.

One of the keys to all of this is to keep it all moving. Don’t let any tool sanding stay in one spot. The consequences will be a ruined bow.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2020, 01:45:01 PM »
Overspined,
I agree with the palm sander and 120 to 150...but be careful when approaching an inward curved area that you don't dig a grove in glass there...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online HornHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2020, 06:21:34 PM »
hmmm sounds like a good excuse to make a jig for table top belt sander that only allows you to take off so much?

Ive taken weight off by sanding down the edges of recurve limbs but 5-7 lbs is the max

palm sander I would be afraid of creating a weak spot

There is room for all of Gods creatures, right next to my mashed potatoes!

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2020, 08:32:30 PM »
Well this is as good a time to try reducing an old bow that you never shoot and are not likely to sell due to how heavy it is.  Not much to lose and a lot to gain plus most of us have a bunch of free time on our hands.  Enjoy...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2020, 06:18:49 PM »
Yeah the palm sander works great and like any tool, you get better with practice. I would not be pressing into riser curves and the like with a palm sander, you arent affecting weight there either..

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2020, 08:23:21 PM »
I think I've reduced 30 bows in the last couple of months all between 40-35#.  I'm really enjoying shooting them again plus it's keeping me busy and on the farm away from people...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2020, 10:45:29 PM »
Wish I had the skill for this. I am not getting any younger.

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2020, 10:23:44 AM »
I now reduce 95% of the weight by taking glass off the Belly & Back.  Rarely do I trap the sides as you don't take much weight off there.  I use my KMG knife grinder with the rotary platin attachment.  It supports the 72X2 inch grinding belt with a rubber belt.  I will grind with a worn out 220 grit belt so I don't gouge the glass.  With that I can skim/feather off glass very thinly.  The process is multiple passes on each limb on both sides.  I'm continually checking weight and tiller.  I takes me about a half hour to reduce a bow.  Also I'm a pretty good grinder from forging knives for the past 15+ years.

Now if you tried this by hand, you wind up at the doctor's office getting a cortisone shot in your elbow or wrist...I know as I started that way :)

Disclaimer:  I only do this on my bows, they are never sold, and I don't do it for anyone else.  Too much liability even though I never broken a bow.  I do pull all the reduced bows on my tillering tree beyond 32 inches and I pull 27 1/2 to 28 inches on these lighter bows...tippit

Jeff, do you have a picture of your knife grinder with rotary platinum attachment to see how you reduce the glass? I have some bows in my pile that I’d like to try to reduce. Thanks!
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2020, 11:05:05 AM »
Kelly,
You don't want my KMG grinder unless you are into grinding knife blades...cost a few thousand dollars.  For just doing a few bows use a palm sander or a spinal sander what the bowyers use.  Anyway here is my KMG with rubber backed rotary platin.  To reduce glass I feather off the edge of the platin... but the learning curve to grind steel smoothly is Long & Hard!  tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2020, 11:34:24 AM »
Thanks Jeff, did you mean “spindle” ?

Are the oscillating ones ok or just straight spining?

>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©