3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: cant find the right brace heigth  (Read 256 times)

Offline goodolboy94

• Trad Bowhunter
cant find the right brace heigth
« on: April 16, 2008, 04:00:00 AM »
i have a bear montana long bow i have looked everywhere to find the recomened brace height for this bow since it is a production bow and not custom does any body know what the brace is or own one and figured it out i measured it and rite now its at 7andhalf
every mourn brought forth a noble chance, and every chance brought forth a noble knight-wiston churchhill

Offline JiminTexas

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: cant find the right brace heigth
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 04:11:00 AM »
Adjust the brace height for the quietest string noise and least hand shock. You may have to make a small compromise there, but it wont be much of one. Do this with no string silencers of any kind on the bow. Then add your string silencers and check again to see if you are still at the minimum for noise and hand shock. When you finish your final tweakings here and if you did the other part right it wont be more than a few turns of the string, you will be at the correct brace height for your bow. The brace height that the manufacturer recommends is only a recommended stsarting point, and a good place to start, but it isn't necvessarily the end of your search for the correct brace height.
Younger money, faster whiskey, older women and more horses.....or something like that..

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
For most longbows around 6 1/2 is a good starting point, I think 7 1/2 is a little high for a Montana....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 10:01:00 AM »
Have someone there to listen too.  Too many times, the shooter thinks there is excessive noise because of his/her direct connection to the bow.  A person standing right next to him may hear nothing.  Been there, done that.  Had I really used my head, I might have been able to talk someone out of their sweet bow because they thought it was loud....  :saywhat:
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »
Shoot a few arras.  Twist the string a few times.  Repeat this till you get the lowest noise and shock levels.  When it starts getting away from the sweet spot it will pick up noise and shock again, even at a higher brace.  Imho you want to stay on the low brace height end of the sweet spot.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »
Bear recommends a brace height of 8 1/2", if I recall correctly. That seems pretty high. The one I had shot well at 7 1/2".
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 12:09:00 PM »
Contact Bowspirit...he has a montana and should know off the top of his head...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 02:27:00 PM »
I just checked the paperwork that came with my 50# Montana and the suggested BH is 7 1/2 -  8 1/2, mine seems to like 7 5/8. Great shooting bow!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©