3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: CHEATING AT ARCHERY EVENTS  (Read 4861 times)

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: CHEATING AT ARCHERY EVENTS
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2020, 06:00:07 PM »
So anybody have anything fun and or positive they have done with traditional archery lately?  :dunno:
 :deadhorse: :banghead:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Islander 19

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2020, 06:04:59 PM »
Yes Absolutly
I got a dozen blemished gold tip 500 spine shafts cheap on e bay and used my new to me used Blitz fletcher the first arrows I have ever done It was fun I also got feathers on sale I love it now I can make and repair my own arrows. I also got a 70s grizzly bow that shoots great for 100 dollars. I love archery.  Stay safe and a good attitude.
Islander  :goldtooth: :biglaugh:

Offline T. W. Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2020, 06:32:09 PM »
Sooner, the individual I have referred to here, I've shot with them, very good shot and as far as I was concerned, didn't have to cheat.

As I've said, never saw this person cheat but others claim to have.

My point about this or any individual that ADMITTED "Fudging" on their score, has, in my opinion, cheated.

Since the admission has been made, one might be led to believe, that this person has indeed been seen cheating. 

Not "tattling" just stating the obvious.

And thanks to those kind word guys, I don't think I have ever cheated anyone, unless I thought I could get away with it when shooting with my wife, LOL.  She watches me like a Hawk.

Terry Harris

Tooner

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2020, 07:11:55 PM »

Not "tattling" just stating the obvious.

Based on your own statements, the only thing "obvious" is that you have no first hand knowledge of this person cheating.   

As to someone's "fudging" statement, I've said things like that dozens, of times.  Unless you heard it personally, in context, you have no idea whether that person was being serious or not.

I have finished first in our animal target league for years.  When asked how I manage to win every year, it's not unlike me to say something like "I just cheat better than the others."

I can assure you, I have never knowingly cheated at an archery event in my life. 

Offline Smitty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2020, 09:03:16 PM »
I can't believe this crap has more pages than Paul Schafer and Barry Wensel topic. Spit the name out or shut the heck up.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 09:42:20 PM by Smitty »

Offline T. W. Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2020, 11:17:52 PM »
Oh, Ok, JEFF SMITH!!  Happy now.  Now, we all know it's not you, NEVER EVEN MET YOU.

Jeff, you really don't know anything about the point I'm trying to make here.  You just decide to jump in and try to be relevant.

You're probably the guy that goes to shoots, never helps, but is the first to bitch about something you don't like about the event.

SO, do us all a favor, SHUT THE HECK UP!

Terry Harris
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 06:49:46 AM by T. W. Harris »

Offline smag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2020, 08:48:19 AM »
Jeff Smith.

Never seen him shoot at a National, What's he shoot? I would shoot against him on the shoot off line anytime.

HH~
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 07:24:19 PM by smag »
RLTW~

MAFA: Making America Free Again~

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2020, 09:22:17 AM »
Another story from my former club;

In the 90s being manufacturer sponsored was the rage, free equipment was the big plus, the sponsored guys cheated all the time but not in little tournaments like mine for the most part. The more win pictures they sent in the more perks they got from the sponsors.

Then there were the wanabees who wanted to be sponsored; we had one young guy of modest means who was campaigning to be sponsored, I had seen him shoot in out indoor range a bunch of times, he was good but not as good as the scores he turned in.

His best friend was an arrow straight guy and said he saw him cheating. At the next tournament Steve wrote each score his friend shot on the back of his hand. When the cards were turned in the guy had won his class. As I handed out the trophies Steve stepped up and announced to the crowd that the guy had cheated and showed the tally on the back of his hand.

The cheating guys wife broke down in tears, the cheater swore he never cheated and stomped off.  He came back a few months later to shoot with us but never won again and was a good man from then on. 

30 years later Steve is still my friend and one I admire greatly for stepping up to the plate and outing his best friend because it was the right thing to do.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2020, 09:28:31 AM »
A little more; Steve was a wheel bow shooter and one of the best, he traveled around the country competing, one day he stopped going, I mean put up his bow completely except for bow hunting.

I asked him why, he said no matter how good he was he couldn't beat a pencil. He said cheating was rampant in the wheel bow circuit and there wasn't any point in spending so much money and time only to get beaten by a pencil whipped score.

Online Broken Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2020, 09:32:31 AM »
If this is so, why isn't there a score keeper at each target hired by the event holder?
Take the long way around.
Dwyer Endeavor 58" 64@29"
Super Shrew 58" 60@28"
Thunder Child 58" 60@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 60@29"

Offline Will Telluteyrd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2020, 09:36:48 AM »
I may be the odd ball here but I don't keep score when shooting  I don't care if I out shoot anyone or dont outshoot anyone.. I used to shoot a lot of 3d near my house. The course is open all year. I used my self bow most of the time and hardly ever shot at the stakes. I would only take shots at 15 to 25 yards and tried to shoot 80% kill shots. A lot of the kill shots would of scored 5 points.. out of all the times I shot I only had one perfect twenty for twenty kill shots on the course. I very seldom shoot with anyone but enjoy the practice.

I also have a OleHauser pool table in my basement. I like to shoot pool and throw the balls out and shoot them in. I don't go to pool halls or Bars to shoot nor feel the need to beat someone playing pool. These are things I do to relax not to get stressed out over a few points or losing a pool game.

I'm not trying to make light of anyone who likes to compete at any sport,  I guess I'm too laid back to put forth the effort.

I've known a lot of fellas who cheat and most are known to be cheaters at everything they do not just archery.

Online Witherstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2020, 09:44:11 AM »
Absolutely agree with the statement about hired scorekeepers! !  I have said it a million times.  If these people are so much into policing and competing that they can spend the time and money to travel to these events, then let them pay the cost of hired scorekeepers. Maybe they can hire them as you would a caddy. Instead of $50 a bag, they can pay $50 bucks a scorecard.   Also, maybe reserve the scorekeepers for a "pro" class. Others can compete without the paid scorekeepers. In other words, put up or shut up. 

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2020, 10:28:40 AM »
If this is so, why isn't there a score keeper at each target hired by the event holder?

Most clubs can't get enough help to maintain the course, set the targets, pull the targets, man the kitchen, etc. more less put 30 scorekeepers out on the course.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2020, 10:54:18 AM »
That is why I quit the club,  Almost every time i asked for some help (cleaning up the indoor range for instance) I got the most prevalent lie told on the face of the earth "I don't think I will have time".

I worked shift work and a lot of overtime. We had to pick up the trophies buy noon on Friday for the Saturday tournament, normally I could pick them up, it was a 20 mile round trip for me.

I was working evenings and got doubled over on midnights one Friday. I called a member who lived across the street from the trophy company and asked him to pick up the trophies. His answer; I don't think I will have time", it would have taken him 5 minutes tops.

I drove over, picked up the trophies went home and tried to get some sleep before I went back in on evenings again, not much luck.

I thought about how many times I had been told "I don't think I have time", I folded up the books, turned them in and walked away. Without my leadership the 45 year old club folded within 2 years.

Online Witherstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2020, 11:11:19 AM »
My thought is that if those who insist on a well regulated competition aren’t willing to pay enough for the club to provide policing then they aren’t as serious as they claim! Perhaps we should leave it to those who enjoy traditional archery whether they compete or not. Again a put up or shut up philosophy would really help here

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2020, 11:50:05 AM »
You can believe this or not.  At a shoot years ago, so long I can't ever remember what shoot but possibly a shoot in Topeka KS, the sponsor club sent a club member around with each group to keep score.  The group I shot with were close friends and this score keeper kept calling shots that were out of the scoring lines in even though they were clearly out by a little.  We made him call it right but it was kind of an awkward situation and sticks in my mind.  I guess we were such poor shots, he wanted to help us a little. 
 :biglaugh:

Offline JD Page

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2020, 01:02:20 PM »
Eric, sounds like a bunch of deadbeats you were carrying around on your back. You are wise to have walked away from it before you had a meltdown.

Offline mj seratt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2020, 03:44:44 AM »
We used to have a group that was made up of close friends.  I don't think any of them would ever cheat.  One day, George was writing down everyones score.  Some body called out "George, you got a five."  George never missed a beat, and replied "That's what YOU think."  I miss those days.

Murray
Murray Seratt

Offline Squirrel Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2020, 02:11:52 AM »
One of the reasons I like the Texas State Longbow shoot is that their rules make it nearly impossible to cheat (I’m sure plenty of other shoots use the same process). They group shooters randomly, so you’re not shooting with friends. Each group designates two score keepers and two people to pull arrows and announce the scores. It’s a simple solution that requires no extra effort and no extra expense. At the end of the shoot, everyone knows for sure who shot the best. I enjoy other shoots that don’t do this, and I’ve seen cheating occasionally at those, so I consider those fun, not seriously competitive shoots and take the scores in those shoots with a grain of salt.

Offline BigStriper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2020, 11:01:53 AM »
I'm with Squirrel Hunter on the way they do it at the Texas Longbow Shoot to keep score, 2 score keepers and 1 or 2 people calling the scores, should be hard to cheat with that system. And if others don't want to shoot for score they shouldn't have a problem with the way the scores are dealt with, mark there cards as such.

Kurt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©