3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String noise issues?  (Read 874 times)

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
String noise issues?
« on: April 15, 2020, 01:16:31 PM »
We all know what string noise is, and likely try to mitigate it through tuning or silencers or both.

So what affect does string size and type/material play?  I would think the older B50 would be quieter, but  :dunno:.

Has any definitive sound testing been done?
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: String noise issues?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 04:19:05 PM »
I think Rick Barbee has done some definitive testing; saw something in a post elsewhere that showed readings on a decibel meter, if I recall.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 08:48:14 AM »
Found some results by a gentlemen over on tradtalk as well.  Also a segment of a podcast interview with Sid from Border Bows was very informative.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 03:47:39 PM by BAK »
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 12:54:48 PM »
Over the years, I recall people doing "scientific" tests, but I am not sure how precise most of this information really was. Like most, I go by what I can hear. B50 has always seemed quieter to me, but all string fibers have needed tuning and the use of silencing materials. It does seem to me that the low stretch strings do make more noise. It would be nice to find some really accurate testing data, but in reality, I have done well with more subjective methods. In short, if it sounds sufficiently quiet, then it is. The problem with my approach is that as I age, I could use a guitar string without hearing much. Also, I have a question. Do the different string materials "twang" with different harmonics, and would tone make any difference to game? Where did you guys find these articles you mentioned?
Sam

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 01:20:35 PM »
I use Fury and Mercury material on my Blacktail bows.  I think both are good.  I find the key is Bow Hush for bow string groove and rubber whiskers or wool puffs, depending upon if you’re in a burr area or not.  Also, I like shooting 11 to 12 grains per pound of arrow weight.  The arrow must be tuned to the bow.  Incorrect spine will make the bow noises.  Finally, do you have a clean release??  Poor release will cause excess noise.   
So my recommendation is to look at the whole package as all being important and no one thing being the holy grail.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©