3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Toelke Whip review  (Read 5508 times)

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
Toelke Whip review
« on: April 16, 2020, 10:49:05 AM »
i had been gifted a toelke whip by my better half and the bow showed up after a long sojourn but thankfully prior to the Virus showing up in force.

the bow specs are 66 inches and 55 at 33 inches. i was impressed by the service and professionalism of both the Toelkes and the bow is well made. the first thing that hits you when you hold it is the weight or lack of weight. the tips scarcely appear able to stay attached but bow does she deliver ! the first few shots were a revelation and the bow was quieter than my ss recurve. the recurve also weighs a bit more - actually quiet a bit more. this bow draws way smoother than the recurve and i was confused about how my earlier smooth feeling recurve had overnight become several pounds heavier. 

that said both these bows are well made and while the whip is all great i think i will put on some of Alan's excellent strings on this too.
thanks to all of you who gave your inputs and enabled me in choosing the Toelkes !
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Toelke Whip review
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 11:00:51 AM »
Did I miss the pics?
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 11:07:28 AM »
Did I miss the pics?
i did - will post them soon.
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 11:30:41 AM »
Certainly give it a try if you wish, but if it is a new bow the supplied strings are excellent.

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 11:48:04 AM »
Toelke's bows are awesome!!!

Glad you are digging the new Whip.  I have a 64" 2pc whip and really dig it. I also have a 64" Super D 1pc that is the cats meow. Whats interesting is I bought bow of these bows used and both have very nice Juniper veneers. The 2pc has black micarta for the riser and the Super D has what I believe is a very very dark peice of Ebony (looks all black). So they look like sisters next to each other.

The other week I called Dan and inquired about a 2pc Super D with Juniper veneers. He did not have any and told me quality Juniper is hard to get. Well last week Dan call me and said he has some real nice Juniper. So....I have a 2pc Super D coming  :goldtooth:

~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 11:58:32 PM »
Roughly four years ago I got a used Whip, 62", 55# @ 28".  It was the first longbow that really felt right to me, and became my go-to bow, replacing a very good Caribow.  I might use a lighter bow in the winter, but come hunting season it is the one.  I can't encourage you to replace the string- the one that comes with it should be perfect.    Acedoc- if it doesn't have pics it didn't happen.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 09:07:00 AM »
I bought a used Whip last year.  Loved everything about it except the grip.  Many guys are in love with the thumb rest style grips but they just don't feel right to me.  I hope to order a Chinook soon but in the classic grip.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 10:54:45 AM »
I bought this one used from Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear and it was in like new condition.  My first Toelke and a fine bow.  I have bad arthritis in the index finger of my bow hand and most ASL style bows hurt that knuckle like heck when I shoot them--not this little jewel. 

The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 12:39:41 PM »
 ;)oh ye of little faith !

i thought that it was kills that didn't happen without photos , not acquisitions  :biglaugh:
Been having issues posting pics, not a whizz at resizing them.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 01:19:56 PM by acedoc »
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2020, 12:40:35 PM »
I bought a used Whip last year.  Loved everything about it except the grip.  Many guys are in love with the thumb rest style grips but they just don't feel right to me.  I hope to order a Chinook soon but in the classic grip.
Speak to Dan- I am sure he can put in any sorta grip you like. I went for a fuller grip this time.
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2020, 12:45:06 PM »
Certainly give it a try if you wish, but if it is a new bow the supplied strings are excellent.
I had an endless loop string (oem) part on my recurve. I now prefer a Flemish twist with more strands than needed for poundage. Alan made awesome sets for my recurve and I will get some for the whip too.
Just my perception and limited experience- may be a healthy dose of bias too as my first 02 bows used Flemish twist.
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2020, 01:46:15 PM »
Dan told me about your Whip while I was ordering mine  :goldtooth:

I went much lighter in poundage on the Whip than on my Toelke SS, and find I still like my recurve a touch better. I actually prefer the greater mass of the recurve. I find it is much more forgiving on the bow arm side of the shot for me. But both bows are fantastic.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2020, 02:03:18 PM »
Dan told me about your Whip while I was ordering mine  :goldtooth:

I went much lighter in poundage on the Whip than on my Toelke SS, and find I still like my recurve a touch better. I actually prefer the greater mass of the recurve. I find it is much more forgiving on the bow arm side of the shot for me. But both bows are fantastic.
It was your review of the ss recurve that made me change my initial order to the ss recurve.  You will like the whip. After the recurve the whip feels ridiculously light.
Have fun and stay safe
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2020, 02:38:56 PM »

My chinook classic grip should be here in next couple weeks. I agree with you. I’m not all about the thumb grip.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©