3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HELP ! Need suggestions  (Read 286 times)

Offline Brad Whitfield

• Trad Bowhunter
HELP ! Need suggestions
« on: April 16, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »
I just purchased a new recurve that is 43# @ 28" I am looking for a carbon arrow set up for hunting with this bow. I have a 28 1/2 inch draw. What Carbon arrow (Brand/length/weights/broadhead combination etc.) do you (carbon shooters) think I should shoot out of this bow for hunting deer etc.  I have never shot carbons and I am not very technical so please, the easier the set up the better.
Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Brad

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HELP ! Need suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 12:36:00 PM »
What final weight/length arrow are you looking for?
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Brad Whitfield

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 02:21:00 PM »
29 1/2 - 30 " arrow and don't know about total weight just the best arrow for hunting / game penetration.

Offline Brian Gillispie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 02:44:00 PM »
Hey Brad,

I have been chewing on the same problem.  I also have a 43#@28in,  I picked up some used Sitka Grizzly stiks at Sissipahaw.  They are 29.5 inches long and have the brass 75 grain insert.  I shot all different wt fieldpoints till I decided that the 125 gr flew best.  I have bought a neet dozen and now I need to decide If a different length will suit my bow or not.  So, I am off to the bow shop with their nice indoor range and arrow saw to experiment with a different configuration to find that sweet spot.  

As for hunting,  These things fly like darts and Hit like baseball bats.  All the guys I shoot with Cuss when its time to pull them out of the targets.  They are supposed to be indestructable but I managed to hit a limb and then sidesmack an Oak.  But otherwise they are great shafts.

Hope this helps,

Brian Gillispie
Spinning faster round the pole. Soon to old from chasing gold. Young hands wrinkle, hearts to stone. Dust to dust and ashes cold

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »
Arrow Dynamics Traditional and Trad Lite's are good shafts. Do a search here in the POW WOW, if you want to read about what other members have to say about them, as there have been a lot of posts about the shafts here recently. Ted Fry of Raptor Archery and Joe Skipp are the sponsors here who sell them.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 04:47:00 PM »
Probably any of the 500 spine weight carbons would work very well for you.  You can get them heavy or light, depending on what you want.  The Carbon Express Heritage 150 (.500 spine) is a very good one if you want some arrow weight, and they are not outrageously high.  Gold Tip 35/55's are also good, and have a good weight adjustment system for tuning the arrow to your bow.  There are many, many others that will make a light, medium, or heavy arrow that will shoot well from your bow.  Good luck, Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline scriv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 07:02:00 PM »
I shoot bows in that neighborhood albeit with a longer draw.  I like the CX heritage due to the weight of the shaft.  I bought 150's and kept adding weight (to the point) until they flew nice.  I'm not sure if I'll go back to aluminum and I've been shooting those since the 70's.
Shoot strait and have fun!

Toelke Whip
Black Widow PLX
A&H ACS-CX
Hoyt Formula RX

Offline Brad Whitfield

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 07:20:00 AM »
Thanks For the info guys. All suggestions are very helpful.
Brad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©