3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What do you do While Hunting?  (Read 897 times)

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
What do you do While Hunting?
« on: April 16, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »
I was thinking about this and was just curious what others do.  I have been bow hunting for 14 years now all with tradition equipment but have yet to take any game other than a few rabbits.  I was wondering what some of you do while on stand and game walks by that you have no intention to take.  For example if you are sitting on stand and a group of does walk by and you are holding out for a buck.  Do you still treat it like that is an animal you are going to pursue and if so do you still draw your bow on it just for the sake of the experience?  Or while turkey hunting if a group of hens walk by will you draw your bow on them to see how much you can get away with?  Just curious what others do on stand in these situations.  

Tim
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What do you do While Hunting?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 03:13:00 PM »
I was taught not to aim at anything that I wasn't going to kill.  I would hate to shoot something out of season and sometimes with instinctive aiming, I drop the string before I know it.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 03:37:00 PM »
I always have a camera with me that is out and handy when I am in a treestand.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 03:44:00 PM »
Most of the time I just sit and watch. I personally find it interesting to see how animals act and react. Learn a lot by watching.

At times I may take a picture or two. About 90% of the time I do not think about it until it is too late though.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 03:46:00 PM »
Sit very quietly and watch.  If I expose myself they'll run off and tell their friends - Well it does feel that way sometimes.  I just don't want to do anything that might disturb the natural game habits so I try to do nothing at all except listen very close and watch.  I have been so intently focused on a doe or squirrel or whatever that I nearly miss the buck sneaking in.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Wednesday Caste

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 03:48:00 PM »
"I was taught not to aim at anything that I wasn't going to kill. I would hate to shoot something out of season and sometimes with instinctive aiming, I drop the string before I know it."

Excellent lesson for a newbie hunter like me. Thanks.
Quinn
Thy word [is] a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalms 119:105
Gracious God; wonderful wife; 2 beautiful kids; bamboo fly rods; recurve bows; and a 57 Chevy. Life is a blessing.
Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 46#; Ben Pearson Colt 62" 45#

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 03:52:00 PM »
I just check em out,up and close with my bino's. I have been entertaining the idea of trying to video tape these sightings to show them to my family and friends, who are interested in seeing them.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »
That just gave me an idea Gerald, I inherited a set of binocs that have a digital camera in them...I need to take them to the stand with me!  I can observe up close and personal and take a pic if I want to...thanks
"...on earth as it is in heaven..."

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »
Tim, pm'd ya.

I also take pics, but occasionaly I "count coup" on them.  Practice picking my spot, focus, draw, let down and then mentally say- mmmmmm, you'd have been tasty.....  :thumbsup:
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline backwater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 04:04:00 PM »
WHEN IM HUNTING AND EVERY THING IS QUITE AND NOTHING IS GOING ON I THINK HOW BLESSED I AM  THAT GOD HAS ALLOWED ME TO BE ABLE TO WALK IN THE WOODS TO OBSERVE AND ENJOY THE WONDERFULL THINGS HIS HANDS HAVE MADE AND I STOP RIGHT THEN AND THANK HIM.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »
i have been knowen to fall asleep under a teetree bush in the sun. but i just sit and watch things go by untill the right one gives me a clear shot. i never shoot anything that i would not eat. if i shoot it i eat it end of story
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline carparcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 04:29:00 PM »
I usually draw on legal animals.  It's great practice and keeps you "in tune."  Be careful not to educate them though, as they can learn from an experience if spooked.  This is especially true w/ jake turkeys.  I usually take the first deer of the year and then hold out for a "big-un."  Cameras are also a great way to literraly record the hunt.  I know my wife likes to see what I've been up to when I stay out late!  "See honey, I was bowhunting... Honest, just look at this squirrel picture!  I almost had to shoot that tree rat in self defense he was so close!"

Offline Bowman0202

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 04:33:00 PM »
Watch and enjoy God's creation. Much of the time, the things/animals I see apart from the game I'm hunting provide more memorable moments than the actual quarry I'm hunting.  I only aim at and shoot at what I can eat.
IBEP Instructor

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 04:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by HO'NEHE JEFF:
i never shoot anything that i would not eat. if i shoot it i eat it end of story
I totally agree with you Jeff!!   :thumbsup:  

Thanks for the replys so far.  I really like the camera idea as well.  Great way to get some great pics.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 04:38:00 PM »
Well... to be honest I try NOT to take a nap! The hardest time for me to stay awake is the last 15 min. before shooting time, and between 830 and 900 in the morning.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 05:19:00 PM »
I try to keep from giggling.  I get a big smile when I see an animal walking near me and the closer they get and not have a clue that I'm there that smile gets bigger and bigger until its all I can do not to laugh out loud.  The closer they get the harder it is to keep the giggles down.  But I don't ever remember getting the giggles when one comes by I intend to take a shot on.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 05:28:00 PM »
Are you guys crazy, or havent you been married for long enough, I sleep and sleep.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 05:32:00 PM »
I try to pretend I'm just there as an observer and not hunting. Sounds crazy, but seems like I see more animals when doing this.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 06:01:00 PM »
I usually don't draw.  Not because I'm afraid of accidentally releasing (I don't snap shoot), but because I'm too paranoid that what I'm actually hunting for is looking at me from behind a brush pile or something.  I also have problem with squirrels and such.  I bring a judo tipped arrow with every intention of shootinq squirrels, but when the time comes I am too worried about spooking deer to take the shot.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 06:31:00 PM »
I have a very hard time with letting legal game pass.

I love big bucks as much as anyone, but with lots of tags available, any adult doe that walks too close is gonna get watched alright. Then concentrated on, and then shot.

Only during those magic days in November do I let legal does walk, and then they better not get broadside for too long.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©