3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What do you do While Hunting?  (Read 898 times)

Offline Willett

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What do you do While Hunting?
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 06:33:00 PM »
I alternate between watch, reading my Bible, and reading a book.
John 3:16,17

Offline scriv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 06:37:00 PM »
I try not to snore.  :D   Actually I use my ears alot when I hunt.  I find that I can use these without having to move my head as much as I do when I use my eyes.
Shoot strait and have fun!

Toelke Whip
Black Widow PLX
A&H ACS-CX
Hoyt Formula RX

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2008, 06:42:00 PM »
I'll draw on a doe walking by, but I'll look around first to see if anything else is around.  Mainly to keep warmed up and to check my calmness at anchor.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2008, 07:00:00 PM »
I love to watch "everything". The leaves blow, sunrise ect... I will say that any legal deer that gets too close is in trouble if I do things right. Bear hunting I draw and anchor on every bear that I can stalk into killing range. Its great practice and when "it" mattered on a bear I wanted, I was as cool as the other side of the pillow.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline GR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »
I like to enjoy the sights and sounds and relax.

I also keep a notepad handy to write a few notes such as ideas, deer movement, or things to do.

I also carry a camera and a v-cam and take a few pic´s and a short clip of the area, after I get in the stand. I have found this to be very helpful for furture hunts or just looking back. Also having a long lens lets me capture some pretty interesting happenings.

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »
I am with Bonebuster Tim, if a group of does come by me I am drawing alright, I am coming to full anchor, picking a spot and letting er fly   ;)
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
If there are animals around, then I am usually watching them intently. I rarely draw on anything that I don't plan on shooting because I don't like to risk spooking game.

If there are no animals around I am usually busy second-guessing myself as to my stand location.  :confused:
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2008, 12:32:00 PM »
Yeah I know what you guys mean.  If a doe walks by I am taking the shot if one is presented that is for sure.  I guess I was just wondering if drawing or "counting coupe" helps calm you down when the moment of truth does arrive.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline imskippy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2008, 03:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by WidowEater:
Are you guys crazy, or havent you been married for long enough, I sleep and sleep.
Yup with all this snoring it's no wonder I haven't shot anything in a few years.  Skippy
Zona Custom T/D #1
Zona Custom R/D L/B #1

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »
I can actually feel my blood pressure drop when I turn off the truck at my parking spot. After turning off the cell phone I grab my arrows and bow and head for a likley looking spot to sit and unwind form the stress of dealing with bosses and a very nasty ex wife. Sometimes I doze off and dream of my ex wife with a set of antlers sticking from her head. Most times I just relax listening to the woods and watching the activities of all the critters around me. On several occasions I've witnessed red tailed hawks snatch squrrels from the trees. Now that is hunting my friends!

Larry
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »
I try to watch all the creatures that the Great Spirit has created for us to enjoy.  Sometimes a picture will capture a memory, or mabe just a memory in the mind's eye.
Like Jeff, if I shoot it "Somebody's" gonna eat it!
I've learned a lot, by just sitting still and watching.
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2008, 02:04:00 PM »
Sorry, but I would have to disagree about dropping the string by accident. Even though I do not do it often I will occasionally draw on game I have no intentions on shooting and I do not see how ya could make a mistake an shoot it, newby or not. Sorry, if that is the case ya should not be hunting. I usually just observe and a lot of time I read, ecspecially in stands that i can get away with more movement.
Shawn

Offline Ranger Rick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »
I bring along a small gideons bible and read

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2008, 01:00:00 AM »
Shawn, I respectfully disagree, I know you have killed a lot of critters, but I would venture to guess I have dropped as many if not a few more critters then you have, but that really doesn’t make much difference.  However, your statement:

“Even though I do not do it often I will occasionally draw on game I have no intentions on shooting and I do not see how ya could make a mistake an shoot it, newby or not.  Sorry, if that is the case ya should not be hunting.”

Is Bulllarky.  

On occasion, like you, I draw on an animal with no intention of shooting just to see if I can, in Mickey’s definition, count Coupe without being detected.  To say one shouldn’t be hunting because the predatory instinct takes over and they legally kill an animal they had no intention of shooting tells me you do not understand what a hunter/predator is.  If you shoot it, it wasn’t a mistake, it was meant to be.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2008, 07:57:00 AM »
While I'm out hunting, I'm hunting. I'll shoot anything legal and not think twice. I like to get that first deer in the freezer and don't care if it's a doe or a buck. If I pull back the string the arrow is away. If I see a grouse, rabbit, fox, whatever, it's getting an arrow. The only thing I passed on last year was a Bobcat and I've been kicking myself ever since wondering what it would have tasted like. Won't do that again.
lll

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2008, 08:16:00 AM »

Offline zinndl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2008, 10:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by backwater:
WHEN IM HUNTING AND EVERY THING IS QUITE AND NOTHING IS GOING ON I THINK HOW BLESSED I AM  THAT GOD HAS ALLOWED ME TO BE ABLE TO WALK IN THE WOODS TO OBSERVE AND ENJOY THE WONDERFULL THINGS HIS HANDS HAVE MADE AND I STOP RIGHT THEN AND THANK HIM.
AMEN!!!!!!
Psalm 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God;and the firmament showeth his handiwork

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »
Where I hunt, Im only allowed antlered deer. The landowner's definition is something bigger than a spike or a fork horn. I try to keep from being spotted so I never draw on does or bucks I have no intention of hunting.
Usually I am too busy watching squirrels or chipmunks battle over acorns...hawks on the prowl...one time I even had 14 wood ducks "graze" by underneath my stand. I often see coyotes, two bears so far. Turkey are always around. There is way too much for me to watch and enjoy, so I never read. If I get bored in a stand, I get down and still hunt into the wind....there is always something worth seeing over the next ridge.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2008, 06:43:00 PM »
I mostly hunt from the ground, stalking and still hunting. But, if I were to be in a tree stand for an all day hunt..... I'd be thinking about how much I miss being at work. Wishin' I was still at home taking care of the "honey do list". Should be doing something productive like painting the garage floor!

O.K. Guess I'd be thinkin' 'bout huntin'!  :rolleyes:

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »
Walt read what I said. I said ya should not be hunting if you would make that mistake, How could ya draw on an animal and have instinct take over and shoot it by accident. Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©