3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Adjusting Tiller  (Read 853 times)

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
Adjusting Tiller
« on: May 08, 2020, 07:35:01 PM »
Hey guys, I'm getting used to my first 3 piece bow (Predator) and was wondering about adjusting tiller for 3 under. Is that something you can do on a standard 3 piece by adjusting the bolts or is that only an ILF thing?

Thanks!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Adjusting Tiller
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 08:07:37 PM »
In order to adjust the tiller, there has to be a way to do it.  It doesn’t have to be ILF, but if all you have is a limb tightening bolt, you can’t adjust the tiller.  In my Velocity Predator, the tiller is adjustable.  Normally, there is a set screw that can be adjusted separately for each limb to adjust the tiller, or if both set screws are adjusted together, to adjust the poundage within a few pounds one way or the other.  I don’t know if all models of the Predator have the same capability.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 08:33:47 PM »
ILF you can adjust the tiller. On a regular 3pc or a one piece the tiller is already set by the bowyer and you can not reset the tiller, unless of course if you are a bowyer. But I could be wrong.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 08:58:04 PM »
You "adjust" the tiller on a bolt down 3-piece bow by adjusting the nocking point height, generally a bit higher for 3-under. You're not really adjusting the tiller, but moving toward a more dynamic equilibrium by equalizing the pull on the top and bottom limbs by moving the nock point up to compensate for three fingers under the nock, which tends to put more pressure/force on the bottom limb vis-a-vis a split finger hold. 

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 11:56:34 PM »
On a 3 piece when adjusting the nock point to change tiller for 3 under go slowly.  A serving wrap or so can make some difference.

Just my thoughts.  I shoot 3 under and have my bows generally tillered for that.  However, it usually takes a small bit of playing with the nock set as you might assume.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 06:51:28 AM »
What is your draw?  When I recently ordered my Toelke, Dan said with my short draw of 26 inches I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference. He said that they really only makes a difference with longer draws. With that said, I’d leave it alone and adjust nick height. 1/2 inch to 5/8 works perfect for me.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 06:08:10 PM »
If I had a 3 piece that was not ILF I'd still play with laying on a layer or two of electrical tape under the limb base to slightly change that angle.  Try it, just don't over do it.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 08:00:49 PM »
Note that there are non-ILF bows that have adjustable tillers, like my Predator Velocity.  They just have their own proprietary ways of tiller adjustment.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 10:48:01 PM »
Thanks guys, that all makes sense. So basically on an ILF you use the set screws then tighten it down? So its adjusted, but you still get to snug the limbs down I assume.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 11:46:49 PM »
On an ILF, you don’t really tighten anything down, like you do with the limb bolts on a bow with non-adjustable tiller.  You set the tiller and then slot the limbs into the riser.  The tension of the string holds everything together.  Sounds sort of hokey, but it works fine.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2020, 09:28:07 AM »
In fact a lot of ILF manufacturers, Titan comes to mind, you can't tighten then down. The bolt are built with an integral stop to prevent that. They should not be tightened down, only adjusted and locked with the set screw in back.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©