3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2 blade design broadhead question  (Read 2649 times)

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
2 blade design broadhead question
« on: May 12, 2020, 07:07:40 PM »
I'm on the hunt for some 2 blade broadheads.  I've noticed some edges have a gently curve in them from tip to stern while others are a straight line.  I'm looking at Ace Express vs. Ace Standard.  Just wondering if there's some sort of advantage of one design over another.  Or is purely a looks sort of thing?

-Jeremy :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

arrow30

Re: 2 blade design broadhead question
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 07:39:52 PM »
i would think the area behind the outermost curved section does not cut much,  so on the straight edge, the whole edge is working...does it really matter.?  probobly not. :dunno:

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 07:39:54 PM »
Don’t know the physics behind it but the longer the cutting surface the better.   Also the stronger the blade the better.  Extra convex may add a few grains of weight as well.
 :coffee: :campfire:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 11:09:45 AM by Wudstix »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 07:53:37 PM »
I have some of the straight edge Ace,and they are very easy to sharpen. I like them a lot. I think the others you speak of are convex,they are not any harder to sharpen. There's probably no difference you could tell on penetration.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 08:11:45 PM »
Thanks for the replies!  Think I may try the straighter edge Ace heads for a change.

-Jeremy :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 01:42:43 AM »
I have used the Ace Standard a bunch.  I like the triple laminated tip of the Standard, over the Express.  A convex edge makes for more steel in the tip.  I see that as the only advantage but it is a good one.  Narrow tips Tend to curl at times.

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 08:31:43 AM »
Convex style broadheads are stronger than straight or concave style broadheads. The straight and concave style broadheads, (IMO), have better penetration. "But", the concave broadheads such as Simmons broadheads and the convex broadheads such as Ace Standards have a better cutting efficiency and leave better blood trails in my experience. You can never go wrong with a Ace broadhead, especially the Ace Standard. They are easy to sharpen, they hold a edge, easy to tune and they fly true. Best of luck!
      JMG
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 03:26:18 PM »
The Ace Express has been one of my favorites for many years and has performed very well for me.  I like the width, profile and ease of sharpening.  They can take a very sharp edge and hold it well.  I put a small tanto type point on them and have never had one even try to curl or bend.  Great broadhead.  Good Luck!
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 07:24:16 AM »
I found the straight edge easier to sharpen.  I have one of the stone and strop kits.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 08:00:02 AM »
I think the straight edge are easier to sharpen. Here's a little tech tip in the 3Rivers catalog.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 01:57:52 PM »
I'm running a convex head on one of my set ups.  It's easily passed through a few deer and several pigs.  Easy to sharpen on either a stone or even a Rada.  On sharpeners like the Rada you have to watch and maintain your angle at blade contact point as well as light your strokes as the blade gets close to sharp.  Assuming I started with a fairly sharp head, which both the Piledrivers and Swampsharks were when I got them,  I can take them to shaving sharp in less than 20 strokes per side even after being shot.  Sometimes less than 10 strokes straight out of the package.
Straight edges are easy to sharpen given quality steel to begin with.  But don't shy away from other blade styles because you aren't sure you can sharpen them easily.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2020, 08:18:58 PM »
What your really looking at is this:
  • the more acute the tip angle and bevel angles are, the less resistance it will have at cutting but likewise the less durable the head will be because physics dictates that less material displaces less material but likewise less material makes for less support at the tip
  • Curving the tip can create a bit of a "tanto-ish" effect that strengthens the tip while keeping the main body of the broadhead more slender and acute while also smoothing out the high spot or sharp corner where the tanto grind would meet the primary grinds on the head.  In theory this should reduce cutting resistance if all other angles are identical and your just looking at a rounded off tanto vs a hard tanto but in the real world you aren't going to see much difference

Real life take home message is both are good ways of tackling the same goal and what is going to make the most difference is durability (a curled tip STOPS penetration), the overall length to width ratio, and how sharp the heads are.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2020, 09:05:06 PM »
I think I read somewhere that one of the reasons a Katana (sp?) was/is such an efficient cutter was because of the convex shape to the blade.  I don't know if that is true or not but I have had great results with Ace Standard broadheads.  They too are convex shaped.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2020, 06:45:01 PM »
ACE is great head.  Ribtek are tough as nails. The old Magnus heads are good.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2020, 07:34:40 PM »
Probably makes little difference all things equal. Some heads are more difficult to sharpen than others. Something to consider.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Tucker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2020, 12:30:06 PM »
I’ve used Eclipse (Journey Man design) convex heads and have found them to be terrific penetrators.
I also use Zwickey Eskimos quite a bit. It may be somewhat subjective, but it seems that the Eclipse penetrate a little better. But not enough to justify the added cost.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2020, 03:49:38 PM »
The corrugated furrels on ribbies can retard penetration severly if they are not filled level with glue.

Lots of quality heads out there that have stood the test of time that's for sure.  Pick one that's been around from 2.5 to 1 and 3 to 1 ratio and get your set up tuned.... then you can just worry about sharpening your shooting and getting on game skills.  :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2020, 09:54:08 AM »
many great 2-blade heads I use a few different brands on different arrows but Ace heads are serious heads and among my favorites,,  but with BIG 2-blade heads if you are using wood be sure your arrows are perfectly matched to the bow otherwise you have a wing on the tip of an arrow that wants to go its own way and you will NEVER get them to all hit in the same spot

« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 06:05:47 PM by Tajue17 »
"Us vs Them"

Online blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2020, 04:39:58 PM »
Zwickey No Mercy gives you a nice ratio of length to width.
[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©