3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Can you tell me about an A&H ACS?  (Read 3767 times)

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
Can you tell me about an A&H ACS?
« on: May 13, 2020, 02:24:55 AM »
Kinda interested in this bow. What can you tell me about it?

Offline Burly

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can you tell me about an A&H ACS?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 07:13:16 AM »
Sweet shooting bows.

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 09:04:26 AM »
The "ACX" design does what they say it does.  Makes for a smooth fast bow.  Very top of the line.  My first was built by OL.  I can shoot the 3  piece better, but like the simple lines of the one piece more.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline George Vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 09:36:23 AM »
I think they are the best performing hybrid longbows.  Check out Blacky Schwarz archery.  He's located in Germany and has been testing all sorts of bows for many years.  He has a traditional section in his reviews that shows the ACS bow review he did a few years ago.

On top of a great performing bow you have Larry Hanify, A&H owner, and his crew that have the best ever customer service.

Buy one and you won't look back.

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 09:46:59 AM »
I had a 3pc version and very much regret selling it.  Mine was smooth, fast, with accuracy and was silent.  I was on the 'must have a pretty veneer kick' and sold it.
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 12:26:35 PM »
I have been fooling with one for several weeks now (isolation therapy).  I just received the bow righ after we went into lock down.

I am more then impressed with this bow.  I was going to order one years ago from OL but that was about the time he was backing out of making bows.  So, I held off.  A&H has done a great job of carrying on the production of this great bow.

OK, so how good is it ?  Well, its as smooth a drawing bow as everyone says. It is quite fast and I mean quite fast.  I bought it just to shoot 3D with so I wanted speed.  I realize a high performance bow like this has it performance glitches due to speed but I found the bow quite manageable.  I am pushing it for as much speed as I can get and it is responding well.  I did spend some time working on arrows for this bow as well as some personal form mods to control the bow itself but thats just me.  I should also note that I ordered the full recurve grip riser as opposed to the LB or medium riser.  I like full grip risers.

All in all, I have found this bow to shoot great and feel good in my hand.  I suspect it will be with me for a long time.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 12:49:52 PM by Huntschool »
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 12:32:38 PM »
I tried one at RMSG. I liked it quite a lot. As said above, smooth, pretty quick and seemed easy to shoot. I don’t remember whether it was one or three piece.

I think it was like 53 lbs or so, but it’s been awhile.  I see they have one in stock. It might be the same bow I tried.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 12:39:32 PM by MnFn »
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 12:46:21 PM »
I should have mentioned.....  Go to their site and look through risers and limbs available.  I got mine in hand 3 days after I ordered it.  Thats pretty quick for a "custom" bow these days.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 01:38:49 PM »
I have a lot of  respect for the builder.  I’ve asked him several times to build me one.  He would not. He said his bows would not hAndle my draw length.  He would not build something he was not 100% sure would last.   I was a little disappointed but do have much respect for his integrity.  That alone worth something.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 02:21:45 PM »
I don’t own one, why? Beats me, one of the only bows I have picked up using my arrows and hit the center on the first shot and that includes recurves.

Offline MGH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 02:26:41 PM »
I am lucky to shoot in a winter league with Larry Hanify, if fact, he is my shooting partner most weeks.  He is a top notch bowyer and and overall great guy!!  Many do not know, but he was an Engineer prior to retiring from the "real world" and is highly technically versed.  Purchase with confidence!!

One thing I will tell you, as will Larry himself, if you are type that does not take care of your stuff, the A&H bow and ACS design is NOT for you!!  Larry compares it to driving a Ford truck as compared to a Ferrari, his bows being the Ferrari.  Some care must be taken when stringing the bow, and the new bows come with a stringer.  You can also not grab the bows by the limbs other than very close to the riser.  The limbs are light and wispy and that is where the speed comes from.  I have found the one and two piece bows to appear to be a little more robust in perceived limb design.  Having said all of that, he is now offering glass bows as well, but I have not shot one yet so will not weigh in on those.

Hope this helps....Mark

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2020, 02:46:16 PM »
Great shooting bows, very smooth. I have owned many bows and as a shooter it ranks up there with the best. My only issue with this bow was the slim design of the limbs was not conducive to spot and stock hunting in tight or brushy woods.

Excellent 3D bows and shot several critters with it from a tree stand. Mine was a 62" three piece
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2020, 04:12:13 PM »
I will mirror  what MGH said.  I had a 3pc. Fine bow, everything they advertise.  That being  said  they are not built like tanks and care must be taken, kinda like a really  nice acoustic  guitar. 
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2020, 06:50:56 PM »
I tried one in 2012 when on a hunt in Wyoming. It was the first longbow that shot as fast or faster than my recurves at the time. I was surprised.
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 50@28
JC Optimus riser/Uukha EX1EVO2 [email protected]

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2020, 08:10:12 PM »
I’ve owned a couple of OL’s both one piece and 3 piece. I’ve owned a couple of A & H  3 piece bows. They were as fast as any bow I’ve ever owned and that has been a few. You will not regret buying one.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2020, 01:43:44 AM »
I have been fooling with one for several weeks now (isolation therapy).  I just received the bow righ after we went into lock down.

I am more then impressed with this bow.  I was going to order one years ago from OL but that was about the time he was backing out of making bows.  So, I held off.  A&H has done a great job of carrying on the production of this great bow.

OK, so how good is it ?  Well, its as smooth a drawing bow as everyone says. It is quite fast and I mean quite fast.  I bought it just to shoot 3D with so I wanted speed.  I realize a high performance bow like this has it performance glitches due to speed but I found the bow quite manageable.  I am pushing it for as much speed as I can get and it is responding well.  I did spend some time working on arrows for this bow as well as some personal form mods to control the bow itself but thats just me.  I should also note that I ordered the full recurve grip riser as opposed to the LB or medium riser.  I like full grip risers.

All in all, I have found this bow to shoot great and feel good in my hand.  I suspect it will be with me for a long time.

That grip is what got me looking at them. I like a big honking thick palm swelly grip with the shelf over the thumb. I am a little bummed to hear about the wispy limbs though. I love thick and narrow longbow limbs that feel sturdy. I am a brushy ground hunter but maybe it wouldn't be a big deal.

Offline HerbP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2020, 08:05:28 AM »
I have a 54@28" set of limbs on my ACH and that is probably as much as one would ever need as you don't need the weight with their speed. I from time to time compare mine with shooting my other bows and I continually end up going back to my ACH. Why? it is smooth drawing and shoots lights out.

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2020, 08:45:57 AM »
Weird that I never felt my 3 pc was fragile. Not at all. I always use a stringer for all bows and never noticed any difference stringing it either. And it shot great!  :archer2:
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PhilFloyd

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2020, 09:12:45 AM »
What joe vt said above.  Never noticed my 3 piece ACS being fragile. 

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2020, 09:52:02 AM »
They have made great improvements to the adcock  version.  I shot a huge boat with it 1st time I went hunting with it.  The infamous O'le  Blockhead.

The bow I had was not fragile.

3 piece longbow. No negatives I could find. Great bows and longtime Sponsors.  :notworthy:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©