3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bowyer fiberglass question  (Read 169 times)

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
bowyer fiberglass question
« on: April 16, 2008, 09:40:00 PM »
I've been building a lot of bows this winter.  

It seems the UL clear bo tuff I got with the last 2 batches I ordered from Binghams is stiffer then what I've ordered.  The bows are coming out heavy.  I've had to drop my core thickness .015 to .020 to hit target weight.  Anyone else notice this with the UL .050 clear bo tuff?

Chad

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bowyer fiberglass question
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 10:07:00 PM »
Yeah I've noticed that also. Makes one a little uneasy when he builds just a few a year. Are you using the glass with scrim? The last I ordered and recieved was several thousands thinner and figured that would make up for the weight gains but it still came out heavy!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »
I've never used the scrim but I may switch.  The glass in the last 2 batches also seem to "splinter" more or "tear out" when I file the string groves and round edges, etc.

On a positive note it also seems clearer them some of the past stuff.  No white streaks.  

I just want to make sure my calipers didn't get out of adjustment.  Chad

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 10:42:00 PM »
Well I'll know more in a few weeks. Just ordered supplies, glass with scrim, for a bow for my buddies son! Sure hope it hits weight somewhere close. I've been using the same formula for years and lately it seems I can throw those old formulas away even though Binghams says it should be the same. The last glass I got was several thousandths thinner and figured it would compenstate for weight but no luck. I built a bow for myself last winter with some exibition grade curly maple that although hit weight( made my limb lams thinner like you) had a white streak down the entire top limb. Kinda makes one sick and actually I'm not looking forward to building this one for my buddies son!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
TTT

Offline warden415

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 06:41:00 PM »
Last ones I got measured .052 instead of .050  
I guess they do vary from time to time.  They were with scrim by the way