3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Experience with reverse shoulder replacement  (Read 555 times)

Offline Wyoming Chief

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Experience with reverse shoulder replacement
« on: May 15, 2020, 12:36:41 PM »
I am probably looking at two of these procedures due to the deterioration in both shoulders.  I am 71 and wonder if I will still be able to shoot traditional or will I have a lot of nice bows for sale.  I would appreciate any feedback from those who have already experienced the procedure.  Thanks, Tom.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Experience with reverse shoulder replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 12:51:00 PM »
I have had both shoulders replaced, about a year and a half apart, with the most recent one about 3 years ago.

Both of my shoulder replacements were the standard rather than the reverse prosthetic.

My first piece of advice is to have the two surgeries at least one year apart. The aftermath of the surgery is a shoulder that is pretty traumatized and having one arm that sort of works can be a blessing.

After the surgery, ice and pain medications are both necessary.

Then, expert and focused physical therapy is a must.

Once your shoulder is "functional" and you are released from physical therapy, then it is time to get in the gym and build "a fortress of muscle" around the joint.

Pressing motions like a bench press are going to be very limited because of the damage that those motions can do to the implant. Pulling motions like the lat pull down and the row are almost unlimited. Please be aware that you will be building your muscles up from next to nothing, so take your time.

The draw shoulder heals a lot faster than the bow-arm shoulder. This is due to the shoulder's ability to handle compression being a very slow process to rebuild.

I am now using a bow that is 45# at my draw length, and I am doing so comfortably.

Ron LaClair had a reverse shoulder replacement, and he is shooting again.

Later today I will post a link to my TradGang shoulder replacement thread so you can benchmark the recovery process.

Be aware that you can recover and be happy with your new shoulders. Just do your exercises and be patient.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Experience with reverse shoulder replacement
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 01:06:21 PM »
TGMM
Compton
PBS