3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Setting your nock point  (Read 152 times)

Offline Gnat

• Trad Bowhunter
Setting your nock point
« on: April 17, 2008, 12:46:00 AM »
I'm just starting out, and my longbow has a twisted string section for a nock point. I didn't realize at first, but it seems to move around, mostly if twisted.

I am wondering: is this a good set up to be starting with, to be consistent? I thought I'd seen small beads as nock-points aslo. In general, do you want to be able to move your nock point around? Should it be set so the arrow is flat, or should I be trying to shoot arrows and "tune" the position of the nock point (even if I hardly know how to shoot right now)?

Thanks for the tips.
Gnat
All truly great thoughts are  conceived while walking.

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Setting your nock point
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 01:31:00 AM »
Hi Gnat
 For starters it is very important to set your nock point.I use masking tape for my nock, a small piece wrapped on the string.
But 1st you need to make sure your brace height is correct, that is the distance from your string to the bow, you adjust that by taking one side off and twisting your string one way or the other.
 I would spend some time on OL Adcock's web site,its up on the top of the main page (A&H Bows) go to bow tuning, it will help you a lot more than I can.
               Kurt Bel5

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 09:59:00 AM »
I tie mine on just so that I can twist them.  It takes some effort though!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Can Hahaka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 10:46:00 AM »
Like kurtbel5 I use tape - only white medical tape - easy to move around while tuning and holds in place when set.
Mississippi Lake Longbow 55#@28"
Woodcraft Equip. 30#@28"
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

GENESIS 27:3 - Now therefore, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow and go out to the field and take me some venison.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©