3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ACS limbs like A&H and Dryad  (Read 4320 times)

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
ACS limbs like A&H and Dryad
« on: May 21, 2020, 01:48:25 PM »
Hey guys, it sounds like A&H bows are a winner. I only hear good things. I now found out that Dryad is also offering ACS limbs. I have been reading reviews like crazy and digging up whatever I can. This brought up a few more questions:

I read some speed reports that showed about 180 fps for 10GPP for the Dryad. I was under the impression that your typical 'fast' trad bow was basically right there? My Javaman Helmsdeep for instance shot around there. Yet everyone seems to say they are noticably faster than the rest. Is this still the case in 2020? What am I missing here?

What do I need to know about an A&H vs Dryad setup? Is it just basically longbow vs recurve?

I'm not a ILF guy but when you hear about 'carbon' ILF limbs or regular bows with carbon lams, do they have no fiberglass like the ACS? Is it just the curvature that is different?

Sounds like there is no handshock with an A&H (haven't heard about Dryad) due to the light mass of the limbs. That makes sense. But lots of bowyers and people say their bows have no hand shock. So is there really a difference in 2020?

What are the liabilities of this limb design? I have heard benefits, but no negatives really. It seems appropriate to ask when considering something so non-conventional. And for something that seems 'all-good' I don't hear their name mentioned often (maybe that's just me).

I would love to give these a try. The ACS limbs seem to make a ton of sense to me on paper.

I love being about to tap into all your experiences. Thanks for the great help!  :shaka:

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ACS limbs like A&H and Dryad
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 02:28:17 PM »
I’ve had two sets of the longbow limbs.  The newer version seems more stable.  I have a 31.5” dL and have xl limbs. They are one of the few limbs I’ve never had issues with. As far as speed for a ilf, they are very fast longbow limbs. They seem to have some pre load but are smooth all the way out to my long draw.  I’ve used them on various risers but they really shine when mated with a dryad riser.  I have no negative thoughts about them.  Just a solid, quality limb.

Offline goldentrout_one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 03:43:43 PM »
My limited experience is with my Dryad Orion, it's a recurve with a 19" riser (but not ILF, it's Dryad's proprietary design). I have two sets of limbs, both ACS.... one set are 'longs' at 45 lb and the other are 'mediums' at 50 lb. Now, those are the marked poundages, but on my 19" riser, they are somewhat less (the 45 limbs are actually 42.5 lb at 28", the 50lb limbs are actually 48 lb at 28"). My draw is 30", so the 45 is actually 46 lb at my  draw and the 50lb is actually 52 lb at my draw. I suspect they are both spot-on if mounted on a 17" riser, but I don't know for sure.

I've done extensive testing with various bows, including older classic bows with dacron strings and slightly more modern recurves with a low-stretch string. All shooting with fingers either over a light chronograph or next to my LabRadar.

The Dryad is definitely my fastest bow. By comparison, I have a super kodiak that is 56 lb at my draw - the dryad, with the long limbs (46 lb at my draw), has the exact same cast as the super kodiak. Granted, the super kodiak has a dacron string, and the dryad has a very skinny string make out of (I thinnk) "Fury", whatever that is, but still that's a startling difference. Compared to my Wes Wallace Mentor that's 53 lb at my draw, the 'long' limb dryad (46 at my draw) is about 3 fps slower; for all practical purposes, they are the same. And I think the Wes Wallace is a fast bow.

I cannot say for sure if there are any issues associated with the dryad ACS limb - it's a static limb with carbon and has some pretty sever hooks. I have read that these types of high-performance limbs are more sensitive to a poor release, but I cannot verify that. The Dryad seems LOUD to me, but to those around me they tell me it just sounds like a regular recurve - I suspect higher-performance limbs may be more challenging to shoot quiet. The force/draw on the dryad ASC limbs are noticeably flatter than anything I've ever shot before.... uncanny really. A very smooth draw. 

In conclusion, I really like the limbs/bow, it's a great shooter, and it has allowed me to drop poundage and still maintain a pretty powerful bow. Are the limbs worth $660? Well, if you want to drop 5 to 10 lb in draw weight and maintain the same cast, I think that's how much you'll have to spend. At least as far as ACS limbs go....
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 03:48:52 PM by goldentrout_one »

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 06:34:10 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Those dryads sure do look unique. They are really growing on me. I cant see how the ACS works on the recurve limbs? Are they still curved laterally like a tape measure?

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 07:11:27 PM »
snowplow:

Sending you a PM in a bit.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 08:44:36 AM »
I have a Dryad with ACS RC limbs. It is noticeably faster than my other bows, A zipper Nitro, and a Blacktail Elite. It does seem a little sensitive to bad release. I think any high performance bow is. I had a Centaur triple carbon that was the same way. I had to go up a spine size to get it to tune. The benefits are there if you need them. I would say give them a try.

Offline flntknp17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 12:39:24 PM »
I have three sets of ACS limbs: an A&H longbow set on their riser, a Dryad ILF longbow set, and a Dryad ILF recurve set.  To be completely honest, I would say that they all have strong points.  I have shot ILF for 25 years or more for olympic type shooting, so I've tried a lot of limbs on a lot of risers just because it's fun. 

I think the A&H set on the A&H riser are the fastest of them (all three are ~46-48lbs), but they are also the loudest of them and are the only limbs I own that require me to wear an armguard.  They're like a Ferrari.....fast as heck and beautiful, but they'll bite you if you aren't careful.  They have a very high preload.  These limbs mandate that an arrow be tuned very well and that the spine be dead on.

The Dryad longbow ACS limbs are very stable and very quiet.  They are faster than you expect given their very smooth draw.  I like them for hunting because they are so quiet and stable.  They handle light and heavy arrows well without complaint.  I love these limbs because they are so easy on me and perform well.

The Dryad ACS recurve limbs are absolutely the smoothest feeling recurve limbs I have tried on a "traditional" type ILF riser.  I have several sets of high-end ILF limbs from my olympic bows and these ACS recurve limbs are smoother drawing.  In fact, when I first got them, I was a little spooked because I thought something was wrong....nope, thats just how they feel.  They aren't the fastest recurve limbs I have, but they handle a heavy or very heavy arrow better than olympic ILF limbs and they have a pleasing sound on the shot.  They are very torsionally stable and have a lot of preload. 

Just my $0.02 on these limbs.  I shoot them all weekly and enjoy them all.

Matt

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 03:58:21 PM »
That's super helpful. I didn't expect the A&H to be faster. I need to check out the Dryad longbow limbs. I have only seen the recurve ones.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 02:08:50 AM »
Quote- "What are the liabilities of this limb design?"

i've seen multiple limb failures from both. all were longbows.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Sam Spade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 03:17:23 PM »
Ozy, when were these?  I know about the early stages of OL and some during the transition, but not in a while.  Just curious.  Hope you are still good down there.   :wavey:

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 04:38:49 PM »
2014 to present
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2020, 11:54:26 PM »
Not to dispute but....  In my searching and some conversations prior to my purchase I did not hear of any limb failures in recent history.   

Just my findings.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline bcwilly2003

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2020, 06:37:15 PM »
I won’t bash either one here, but I had an A&H and sold it for less than half of what it cost me. I now shoot Dryad! Mike is someone who will work with you. And the ACS patent holder ( John Harvard) does work at Dryad , so any advancement of the ACS design would be there! Dryad would be my choice. Give Mike a call.

Offline Redfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2021, 07:18:25 AM »
up

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2021, 12:03:42 PM »
Thanks for bringing this back to the top.  I've had 4 ACS bows, one by OL and 3 by A&H.  I'm hoping for a set of Dryads limbs this summer.  I've had Border, and I've had a Centaur.  Always end up back with ACS limb.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Online Michael Guran

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2021, 12:54:26 PM »
I have an ACS standard riser with 45lb limbs. I don’t own a chronograph but I do know that I shoot really high with it when I first pick it after after mostly shooting strait limbed 50ish longbows!  It’s very quick and flat shooting. When my game is on I shoot really well with it...when I’m off my game it can get pretty ugly.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2021, 01:48:24 PM »
Michael, I find that to be true no matter what bow I'm holding.   :bigsmyl:
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2021, 02:27:09 PM »
I don't know about ACS AH,but I got some 65 pound Dryad limbs for an IFL rig,and they hit like a hammer. I need to run them through my chrony,but they seem to launch a big heavy arrow.

Online Michael Guran

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2021, 02:39:55 PM »
Ha, Bruce-good point!  Me too

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2021, 05:30:46 PM »
I have had an Adcock original one piece and 3 piece.I also had a Morrison made ACS one piece when he callaborated with John Havord.The Adcock one piece was one of last ones he built before getting out of the bow Biz.That was the best of those 3 bows.

I do have a newer A&H thats a 2 piece.Its got double carbon limbs.

He does offer all glass limbs now along with the double carbon and also single carbon back with glass belly on the one and 2 piece.Not sure about the 3 piece?

Anyway this newer edition 2 piece is 66 inches.I have only had it for about 1 month.I can only shoot it about 10 yards currantly.I got a bow quiver on it.Its very high performance.Its got a nice feeling draw to it.Its also dead in the hand and is quiet to my ears shooting in my garage.So far so good.

I will have to test it more later at longer distance outside.I am thinking a bout getting a matching 2 piece in 60 inches to go with the 66 incher. 

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©