3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I guess I'm resigning from traditional archery  (Read 4812 times)

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I guess I'm resigning from traditional archery
« on: May 24, 2020, 08:50:01 PM »
This is very rough for me.
I have shot a bow and arrow sense 1962 and as of a couple years ago I started hunting where I could recover using my tractor.
I have been having trouble drawing my bow (45#) which I had dropped down from 60# just 4 years ago.
I can handle the weight but the tendon in my drawing hand is to the point where I can hardly reach full draw let alone settle in.
Just today, I ordered a triger style release aid with a disk hand stop.
I cant use a wrist drawn type but this is a flexible tube with a disk and all the pressure is on the back of my fist (fleshy part by my pinky.)
I hope it works and it should because I can make a fist and hammer on something without and discomfort.
If I can no longer draw a bow I'm going to call it quits.
Guess I have become a winning crybaby.  :dunno:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Bisch

Re: I guess I'm resigning from traditional archery
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 08:53:52 PM »
No, your not a whining crybaby!!!! It sucks when we have setbacks, especially ones that can potentially end something we love doing!!!! I hope the release works for you, and wish you the best of luck!!!!!!

Bisch

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 08:59:11 PM »
Wishing all the best for you, Dale.  Hope that your solution works out well.  All the best with your situation, chin up.
 :campfire:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 09:07:31 PM by Wudstix »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline JC Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 09:03:10 PM »
You didn't mention which tendon is giving you the problem, but if it's in you fingers, would it be possible to just start shooting left-handed (or righty)?
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 09:10:28 PM »
It's in both hands.
Mostly the middle fingers.
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline shankspony

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 09:34:26 PM »
I guess the  thought that came to mind as I read this. Other than feeling for your situation and hoping something works out for you, is this.-   You never really resign from such sports, can always change focus to sharing your knowledge and experience with others. Thats a valuable contribution! And in the end if you cant comfortably shoot a trad bow, then there are other great ways to participate in hunting- Black powder comes to mind. As long as you are out there enjoying yourself.
Best wishes.

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 10:36:54 PM »
I don't know what to say to my friend... I'm hopeful you can find a solution. If not you can be my full time mentor.. sounds selfish but I could use a trad dad.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Online Bruce M

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 10:53:10 PM »
I hope you are able to continue and find comfort in your pursuit of game.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 11:34:08 PM »
I’ve been interested in the history of archery for a long time, and have studied it strictly as an amateur for many years.  There have been so many ways of drawing and shooting the bow over the years, and back before recorded history, that the only thing I can find that all branches of traditional archery have in common is holding the full weight of the bow at full draw.  However you manage to get it there is probably something that has been tried before.  Best of luck my traditional archery brother!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Poultrygeist

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 12:52:30 AM »
Hi Dale... If you are having problems with the tendons in your fingers holding the string poundage. But you can still pull the trigger of a release aid. You can build a harness to fit on your elbow, so you can draw the poundage with your arm muscles and use your fingers to operate the release trigger. It is also a good way to make sure you are using your back muscles in the draw cycle.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2020, 07:49:20 AM »
I understand completely. I started in 1980 shooting 80 pounds. Now my hunting bows are 40 pounds...but I  shoot 35 or slightly under most everyday. I have to warm up to even shoot my 40's now. That's why I started drastically reducing weight on my old bows. Good luck.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2020, 09:14:51 AM »
I can relate, fortunately my problem is in my left hand and I am right handed.

My solution it to start taking Ostio Biflex for your joints, this may or may not help with your problem. It doesn't work right away and has to build up in your system over the period of a month or so.

I have taken it for 30 years, every now and then over the years I decided it wasn't doing anything and would stopped taking it. Within a month of giving it up my left hand would be in constant pain and I couldn't close it with out severe pain in the tendon to my gig finger. Within a couple of weeks after resuming the stuff as a maintenance supplement all my pain would be gone and my hand function would return to normal.

Offline BigStriper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2020, 09:41:52 AM »
Also you might drop a little more bow weight if you have to, Good luck I hope it all works out.

Kurt

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2020, 09:53:05 AM »
What does the doctor say?
Sam

Offline Skwerl58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2020, 10:27:41 AM »
I am a newbie here, a little over a year, but don't give up easily on a part of your life. I had to have reconstructive surgery on my left elbow 2 1/2 years ago. While fire wood  wood cutting, a tree kicked back and I dove away from it and I tore the muscle completely loose at the inner elbow and it was repaired by re-attaching with a screw into the bone. The surgeon said it was like Tommy John but did not use tendons to reattach just the screw. I feel no pain it at this time and it is as far as I can tell good as new. If you can find a great surgeon it is amazing what can be done as a last resource. My injury was painful and therapy which I did at home was painful but now I have full use and extension of my arm. By the way I still split wood with a 6lb. maul and it does well.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2020, 10:44:14 AM »
I’m a big fan of Osteo Byflex triple strength for my ankles and knees it works if you stick with it 2 tablets per day.
 :coffee: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Tomas Stieber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2020, 10:51:04 AM »
It sounds like you have a Fletch-Hunter release, I played around with one and got very good results. First off you'll have to put a D loop on your string if you don't know how most any compound shooter should help you out. Second set the release at the lightest setting that will safely hold the arrow at full draw, the trigger will still be very hard. Practice with a blank bale until you can squeeze the trigger in a controled manner to produce a accurate shot. Good Luck.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2020, 11:33:14 AM »
What does the doctor say?
Yes, it's  Dupuytren's Contracture.
I have been fighting it for over five years now and I have a wrist drawn release ( non mechanical nylon strap ) that I use once in a while.
That worked good because your shooting form doesn't change. The weight of the string is carried by your wrist and the tab is held locked on the string with your middle finger.
You come to full draw and anchor, then just drop the string just like shooting with fingers.
Trouble with that one, my wrist hurts for a few days after shooting.
And just a couple days ago, I got it out and I couldn't get to full draw and I would loose the string shooting at about half draw and it's a good thing my dog is trained to stay behind me when I shoot.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2020, 12:32:45 PM »
Due to an injury 2.5 years ago I had to give up hunting weight bows. I can still shoot a 25# bow in 3D so at least I am still able to do something with traditional archery. You do what you have to; hopefully you will find a solution
SWA Spyder

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2020, 12:50:28 PM »
Funny thing, I just was sitting here wondering how hard it will be to re train myself to shoot instinctively with this release and my dad popped into my head.
In his fifties he had bursitis so bad in his drawing shoulder and he could not pull his bow with his shoulder up like normal.
Just to be funny while shooting with me he held his bow horizontally about waist high and drew back to his belt buckle.
He shot a couple times and within a few minutes, he was keeping every shot on a paper plate at 20 yards.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©