3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bohning fletch tape  (Read 1715 times)

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bohning fletch tape
« on: May 29, 2020, 11:01:03 AM »
I am new to the use of fletch tape, and I have a question about its adhesiveness. I am making some arrows that are sealed with oil based polyurethane finish from Min-Wax. Any issues with the tape sticking to this finish? Thanks.
Sam

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bohning fletch tape
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 11:21:54 AM »
The  issues I have had when it gets warm the tape seems to move :o ,you may need drops of glue at each end and middle( I no longer use tape)
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 11:37:21 AM »
I have been using it for years.... and I mean that.  Here are some "tricks" or procedures I use;

Wipe arrow with alcohol in the crest area.  I use alcohol because it is not strong enough to loosen cresting paint but will create a clean and I feel slightly "tacky" surface.  If no cresting or perhaps in your case based on oil based poly I would use acetone.  Lightly wipe with a dampened cloth, not wet.....

Place fletch in jig holder (clamp) and lightly (I mean lightly) sand bottom.

Then wipe bottom with acetone and allow to dry.  This only takes seconds and will remove any "sanding dust" debris from fletch.  (NOTE... You can use alcohol for this if you like)

Then put tape on fletch being careful to leave a small tag end (1/4") at rear of fletch.

Run finger nail down that tag getting the membrane to stick to the clamp and peal off the backing.  Use small sewing scissors to cut that tag loose from the clamp.

Install fletch via clamp and jig.  If you like, a drop (small) of Fletch Tite at the front end of the fletch will set it in place although I dont do that too often and our temps here in Southernmost IL can get pretty nasty in the summer.  I will use the glue for my hunting arrows.

This whole process doesn't take long at all once you get a rhythm and  practice it a bit.  I really like the tape.  Fletching goes by pretty quick.  I should mention, if you want or need to replace a fletch you just gently pull it off and re do.....

Just some info.....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 11:55:55 AM »
I have used it on carbon and wood shafts over gasket lacquer and Minwax wipe on poly. When shafts were dry I've simply wiped them off with a dry cotton cloth and installed the fletching with the Bohning tape and put a little spot of Duco cement front and back. I have never had a single fletch come loose.

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 02:21:32 PM »
Been using it for several years now with no issues. I do use a drop of Super Glue gel on each end of the feather.
Aim small,miss small

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 04:03:21 PM »
While it  is convenient I have had so many feathers come off even with the aid of superglue. I have lost more feathers to tape than I care to count. On the other hand I have lost precious few to gluing.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Online Yooper-traveler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 05:44:14 PM »
I've used it on oil based poly.  No issues but i prep the base and use the flat end of the scissors to make sure I have good contact with the feather.  I also leave a little tab on the front cut at an angle.  Used them last year in the Texas heat and lost nary a feather.
Klaatu, Verata, Nicto

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 06:04:12 PM »
Just throwing in my 2 cents.  I would use it for practice arrows but my hunting arrows will be glued. (Duco)  I have had less than spectacular results with tape. The ends hold pretty good where they are glued but the middle seems to slide often. Even more so in a back quiver.   I've never put glue in the middle of the fletch but that may help with the issues.  I like building arrows so the extra time it takes to glue them doesn't bother me much and I have 6 or 8 Bitzenbergers too. :goldtooth:
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 06:59:46 PM »
I use carbon arrows, and just wash them with dish soap and wipe dry  with paper towel.  I only put a drop of fletch tite on front of the fletch. When I glued both ends the middle would come loose sometimes.

The only time I've lost a fletch is in real cold weather, when the arrow hits something hard, like frozen ground or a rib...
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 07:56:19 PM »
Ive been very careful with the prep and application of tape and it is imo Junk.  Ive had feathers migrate around the shaft diring hot weather and fall off entirely during cold.  With gorilla glue i have had 0 problems--- ever.  I guess you either love tape or hate it.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2020, 10:18:15 PM »
I've used it.  Sticks well.  No issues with moving.  Glue is much easier imo.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2020, 12:07:04 AM »
I posted above about my experiences with "Fletch Tape" by Bohning. 

I have been brought to understand that there may be a shelf life on this product.  It seems there were some folks who did not have very good results using tape and this may have been caused by some older, poorly stored tape.  When I am not building arrows I store mine in the fridge.  Always seems to work OK.

I also had some folks ask me what I did to get such good results.  My personal opinion is that I really cleaned the shafts (crested or not) prior to installing the fletching.  Several of the folks I spoke with about this admitted to just a quick wipe and not being sure to make good contact with the clamp to the arrow surface.  Once they did that the problems seemed to disappear.

I really think (just my opinion and not to disparage anyone) most of the problems have come from not making clean positive contact with the the tape, the fletch and the shaft.  I do press down rather hard on the clamp when seating the fletch and then run my thumb nail down the thick side of the fletch.

I am using it and will continue to use it until something even better comes out.  Right now the next closest thing which is not really designed for archery is "Flex Tape" but it is thicker, not narrow enough, but very sticky.  If they made this stuff in a thinner and narrower size there would be no way for a fletch to come loose and I would be using it.

JMHO
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 12:39:12 PM by Huntschool »
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2020, 07:59:30 AM »
I used it until my feathers folded over while in my back quiver which was sitting in my truck at the time. I understand that it was hot out but I have never had feathers fold over or move when glued. I tossed what I had left of tape. And yes I had a spot of glue on the front and back of the feather. Having to use glue to hold the feather in place speaks how secure tape is.

Online kopfjaeger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2020, 08:32:21 AM »
I've been using tape on and off for at least twenty years on wood and aluminum with no issues. I do lightly sand or steel wool the area the fletching will go on. I also put a little glue on the front and back of the fletching. I have arrows fifteen to twenty years old and the fletching is still solidly on the shaft.
HE made me into a polished arrow & concealed me in HIS quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2020, 09:01:00 AM »
+1 on the tape !

i live in india and dont think you can replicate the humidity and heat my eqpt faces in the states with ease. the tape does not give way that easy though i have had a few feathers come undone in the last few years. i also shoot daily and my daily shooters are holding up well.

i use superglue and run it down the quill after i have fletched my shafts. no issues! i store my fletch tape in a cool dark place (not the fridge) it may be some time before it is called out to service and remember i have to source all my stuff from your shores.
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2020, 10:46:40 AM »
I've also experienced issues with the tape releasing in the cold.  I've used it off and on for a few years now.  I like the quickness of it.  But I suppose good things come to those who wait.  I went back to Duco and take my time.  I'm constantly fighting this instant gratification we have found ourselves in.

-Jeremy :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2020, 12:22:07 PM »
I have said before I have a “love/hate” relationship with tape. I like it for making repairs, one or two feathers here and there. I also learned here about cleaning and storing the tape in the fridge. I have also experienced the feathers rolling over on my arrows in the summer. Like other two sided tapes I have used the glue on the tape turns to goo.
 I wish they would make the tape with the same ingredients as the tape sold by 3M for indoor and outdoor use.
  One thing I do to help secure the tape to the feather. I put the feather in an old straight clamp, apply tape then rub it across a old mouse pad. Learned that here as well.

arrow30

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2020, 02:20:27 PM »
get you a roll and try it, since its not a permanent glue its easily removed.  i used it once a long time ago and never will use it again.  :biglaugh:

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2020, 06:57:47 PM »
I enjoy making wood arrows and have never used tape. Never saw the need to fix something that wasn’t broke. I can fletch a dozen arrows in a little over an hour.  But I’m typically not in a hurry.
There’s lots a guys who swear by it and a lot of guys who swear at it. I did get some arrows a number of years ago that came with a bow I bought that had fletch tape on the feathers. In a back quiver the feathers rolled over in the heat. Bad first impression for me.
So I’m not sure why I’m commenting on something I don’t use.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2020, 09:03:43 PM »
Well, I made 6 arrows with tape and was a little disturbed about Jon Stewart's feathers coming off when left closed up in a truck. My arrows are quite often left in a hot truck for hours at a time. I sure hope no issues arise with these arrows. So far, so good. I will make the other 6 out of this dozen with glued fletching. Let's see how they hold up.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©