3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Talk me out of an ILF  (Read 5065 times)

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
Talk me out of an ILF
« on: May 30, 2020, 03:21:50 AM »
I have been drooling over some Dryad bows. I have always ran 1 piece bows. I am currently shooting my first 3 piece. It looks like the Dryad for instance is offered in 3 piece bolt down or ILF. I don't have any experience with ILF and don't know much about it. I have heard some pro's but not sure of the cons.

Is there any reasons why you would not get the ILF?

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Talk me out of an ILF
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 07:57:54 AM »
Plenty!
ILF has no interest at all for bowhunting. Unless you need to fight the boredom of retirement.
When things can be simple and effective why do you need to change?
If the bowyer knows his job, do you really need to set alignment of limbs? Do you really want to change the tiller and limb timing? Do you really need 2# draw weight adjustment to get your targeted draw weight? Do you really need to struggle more than enough to quieting the bow? Etc...
The more screws and setting the more you are in potential trouble...
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 09:03:40 AM »
The only beef I have with ILF bows is the limbs are loose/flopping around in the pockets when the bow is unstrung. Adjustability and unlimited limb choice are pretty big advantages though.

Tooner

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 09:08:22 AM »
Is there any reasons why you would not get the ILF?

None.

I've been hunting with an ILF rig for well over a decade now and while they might not be everyone's cup of tea, there is nothing about it that detracts from the hunting experience and plenty of things that potentially add to it.

As far as noise goes, they are as quiet or as noisy as any other take down.  It all depends on how you tune them.   No different than any other bow.  In my experience, the noise factor is simply a non-issue.   

As to lateral limb adjustment, I have seen more than one expensive custom recurve where the sting would not track correctly, even when brand new  Over the years, wood risers can and do twist slightly.  Having the ability to align limbs is a good thing, not a bad thing.  It's never needed until it's needed, and then it's pretty important...especially if you choose to utilize limbs from different manufacturers.  Kind of like a spare tire.  It's kind of like the spare tire in your car.  Nothing but a waste of space...until you need it.

Do you want to shoot off the shelf?  Great, tune your ILF rig accordingly.

Do you want to try an elevated rest.  No problem, tune your ILF rig accordingly.

Do you want to switch from split finger to three under, or even use a fixed crawl for hunting.  No problem, tune your ILF rig accordingly.

Want to pick up an inexpensive set of limbs for target, 3D, or form training?  No problem.  Just plug them in.

Have you ever had a limb delaminate a few weeks before a booked hunt?   No problem.  You can have a new set, exactly to your specs, on your doorstep within a week.

Lastly, in all the years I've hunted with an ILF bow, I have never had a screw or a bolt come loose that I didn't loosen myself.   

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 10:49:25 AM »
My only exposure to ILF is with my target bow, which I use for Senior Olympics.  Can't say I like it verses the old Hoyt Pro Medalist I had many years ago with fixed limbs.  I have had several 3 piece takedowns over the years, but have sold all but one as I like the slim clean lines and light weight of one piece bows.  If you like to tinker, and like moderately heavy risers, go ILF.  Guess Hybredhunter and I come from the same cave!
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Online Yooper-traveler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 10:49:53 AM »
To add to Tooner.

Want to try a low grip?  Medium? High? No problem.

Want to give a sight a go?  Bolt on a quiver? Yep.

Longbow limbs? Super curves? Carbon foam? 

Like pretty wood?  Beautiful limb lambs?  Yep

Bow fishing rig to stumper to hunting rig? 

Tuneability?

Swapping out limbs at a shoot just to give em a go in seconds?

Like a bow with some mass to it?  Removing or adding weight? Yup.

Ever find yourself in a biker bar having to fight your way out?  ILF baby!  I wouldn’t want to scratch my HH!

I’m sure I’ve missed some stuff.

Not saying any of the above is needed or even wanted for everyone, or that wood one/two/three piece bows are not capable, but they are versatile and fun.

That said my favorite bows are ASLs and bear TD.  But I always have several ILF rigs on hand.  I recently picked up a DAS Tribute.  Hard to put it down.
Klaatu, Verata, Nicto

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 12:05:58 PM »
I had my first and last one a few years ago--all the same bow!  They're fine if you are a tinkerer which I am not.  Once I had it set up I used it just like my usual TD bows so all of the adjustable features never came into play for me.  One nice thing about ILF is not being tied to only one bow maker if you want different limbs.  And limbs are available in any price range you could want.  Maybe give one a try--it's only money, right?  You never know, you may find you really like them.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 12:06:53 PM »
I have ILF metal risers and one wood one. Also various sets of limbs. If I was going to use one for hunting it would be the wood riser and carbon/foam limbs. It is also my cheapest setup, riser $189 delivered from England in 3 days, limbs are TT “scratch and dent” $125. Noise? With my 10grain per pound arrows it’s quieter than my Bear TD. I have less string silencers on it than my Bear SK. Off the shelf, no issues, it’s wood with a radiused shelf. BUT, unlike the metal risers it is not drilled and tapped for a plunger or bow quiver. I use neither so no big issue for me.

Tooner

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 12:20:52 PM »
One thing to remember is that an ILF bow is simply a takedown bow with a different kind of connection.  It really doesn't have to be anything more than that...unless you want it to be.  It's like comparing a bolt and pin takedown to a Bear "latch" takedown.   

The nice thing is that if and when you want it to be something different, you don't have to buy a whole new rig to accomplish it.

People make it much more complicated than it actually is. 

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2020, 12:28:02 PM »
One thing to remember is that an ILF bow is simply a takedown bow with a different kind of connection.  It really doesn't have to be anything more than that...unless you want it to be.  It's like comparing a bolt and pin takedown to a Bear "latch" takedown.   

The nice thing is that if and when you want it to be something different, you don't have to buy a whole new rig to accomplish it.

People make it much more complicated than it actually is.

This really makes sense. All great points. Thanks guys  :thumbsup:

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2020, 01:20:35 PM »
I thought we were talking about hunting archery??
The riser twist thing corrected by right left limb adjustability is a real good joke. At least from a geometrical point of view. Take a minute to rethink how the hell you can fix a theorical riser twist (multiplanar deformity)with a right to left uniplanar adjustability?
You guys completely hide the facts and science under riser and limbs working.
For a given design of limbs/riser design and lenght/archer drawlenght , to get the best out of it in store energy and dynamic efficiency there is no real margin for adjustability and once you get the good limb riser pads angle for the chosen limbs for a given AMO lenght (when designing the bow) and tiller the limbs for a dead stop on that specific bow riser with perfect timing you get the best of that design. Anything more "adjusted" will be less effective.
That s why a bolt on dryad is faster pound for pound than the exact same ILF dryad rig. Everything you loose in efficiency means noise and vibes when shooting. There is no other way to hide a loss in efficiency for a bow.
 Another thing is most ILF limbs are designed to be used on long riser around 25") with an average stress much lower than hunting rig and so is the hardware on limbs and riser. Now take the same ILF limbs on short riser with different limb pad angle, under much higher stress (string angle much less opened, bow weight higher etc) and you will definitely get much less durability, particularly on hardware and limb pocket/pad material. That means after a (very) few thousands of arrows more noise and vibes and then more odd for screws to unsetting etc..
There is NO WAY you will get the same durability with an ILF rig compared to a bolt on over a long run under heavy use, unless you put A LOT of extra money to get super hight quality steel hardware.
Elevated rest ? Stick it on you bolt on riser shelf and shoot..
Swapping limbs ? is easy with a bolt on as well if you buy extra limb set tillered to the riser. Some bowyer even doesn't t ask you to send back the riser.
LB /recurve limbs on same riser? There is plenty bowyer offering bow models with LB/ or Recurve swapping possibilities but they developed their limbs to give the best out of their riser design and most of the time you get a good recurve and a good longbow as well.
Is ILF in trad archery funny? Yes
Is it a good way to take your money with a "new to you " thing ? Yes
Do you need it to be a better hunter or to get you to a higher level in bowhunting shooting skills? NO
Simplicity and reliability is the keystone in a bowhunting weapon.

La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline thumper-tx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2020, 01:25:04 PM »
For hunting, look at the DAS limb mounting system.  You can use the exact same limbs by changing a bushing and the limb rest on a rubber pad so the potential for an even quieter set up. I understand you did not ask about DAS but if you are considering ILF, it only makes sense to look at DAS. IMO, it is a superior system.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2020, 02:11:24 PM »
Have owned Dryad's first ILF...very nice...was wanting even more Mass wt

Have owned seven ILF risers....am quite partial to them.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Tooner

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2020, 06:29:57 PM »
In terms of durability, most all production ILF limbs are warranted down to 5-6 gpp of bow weight.  I'm not aware of many custom bowyers that are comfortable with less than 8 gpp.

While most hunters don't shoot anything that light, it says a lot about the durability.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2020, 09:43:16 PM »
ILF is kinda like Baskin Robbins , way to many choices. To some I guess choices are good, but too choices many can just complicate something that should be simple. After all who needs any thing other than chocolate or vanilla?
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2020, 09:46:47 PM »
Every one I have shot has been loud and ugly. Not to say there aren’t pretty ones out there but they remind me of our friends with wheels. No thanks. Do yourself a favor save some money and get you a one piece bow and be happy.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2020, 11:25:53 PM »
Every one I have shot has been loud and ugly. Not to say there aren’t pretty ones out there but they remind me of our friend with wheels. No thanks. Do yourself a favor save some money and get you a one piece bow and be happy.

Well for the record, I don't like most 3 piece or ILF setups. They just don't give me those fuzzy feelings. BUT I just spent a grand on a new bow and pretty much hate the grip. THAT SUCKS. I have always shot short lightweight bows. From what I read, the most unforgiving setups. So I started experimenting with something longer, heavier etc to see if there is any untapped potential.

So now I am thinking it makes a lot more sense to get an ILF rig (even though I don't really want one) so I can tinker with it and figure out what I really like. It sounds like you can change limbs, grips, centershot, mass weight and length pretty darn easy.

My idea is once I have an ILF setup I like best, I know what kind of bow I want to shop for. That's the idea anyway. 

Hey PS, I really hate the idea of a metal riser but love the idea of trying different grips. Are there any wood ones that allow a grip change?

Tooner

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2020, 08:36:37 AM »
  Hey PS, I really hate the idea of a metal riser but love the idea of trying different grips. Are there any wood ones that allow a grip change?

They all do...with the help of a file and some sandpaper.   Unfortunately, if you don't like the new style, it's rather tough going back.    :biglaugh:

At the end of the day,  everything is a series of compromises.  If you want to utilize the benefits of a riser that is cut substantially past center, it's probably not going to be made of pretty exotic woods.   

If you want something that is adjustable for changing needs or desires, it's probably not going to be as sleek and clean as a one piece bow.

If you want the ability to utilize marry limbs and risers from different manufacturers, it's probably not going to be with a proprietary takedown system.

We can talk all day long about the minute performance differences between a conventional TD and ILF but if we are honest with ourselves, very few of us will ever be able to exploit the difference, especially in hunting situations.

No style, design or material is suitable for everyone. 

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2020, 09:03:37 AM »
The only reason I would not go ILF might be weight.  I prefer a light weight bow for hunting.  Other than that there is nothing magic about them.  Pro's and Con's to everything. 
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2020, 11:08:54 AM »
Have had all the luck I need with one piece bows.  Grip has never been a concern.  Not really aTechie kinda guy, have tried a couple three piece bows, but like the solid feeling of my one piece bows.  May eventually get a two piece, if I live long enough and have a chance to travel to hunt.  60” recurve and longbows fit nicely in my truck.
 :coffee: :campfire:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 12:18:05 PM by Wudstix »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"