3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Steaming feathers.....  (Read 189 times)

Offline Can Hahaka

• Trad Bowhunter
Steaming feathers.....
« on: April 17, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »
Last night I noticed that a few of the feathers were outta shape. I've always heard that if you steam them they will return to the original shape.

This I was able to do and things look great. But I was thinking (lol) are there limitations or do's and don'ts regarding this practice?
Mississippi Lake Longbow 55#@28"
Woodcraft Equip. 30#@28"
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

GENESIS 27:3 - Now therefore, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow and go out to the field and take me some venison.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Steaming feathers.....
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 05:45:00 PM »
I would keep the shaft spinning and keep it a few inches away from the kettle. Hap

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 09:25:00 PM »
I have done this lots of times, it does work! I just lay the shaft on the edge of the pot and spin!! Covey

Offline Gib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 08:28:00 AM »
I get the feathers wet and then use the wifes blow dryer on hot heat .Hope this helps,gib

Offline UKarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 09:09:00 AM »
I find if you turn them slowly over the steam, then put them between your palms and spin them fast (as if you were using a lapping stick), the feathers pop right back into shape. I do this in the woods as well, it saves a lot of steaming later.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »
It only takes about ten seconds of spinning over the steam.  You don't need to soak them and then dry them with a hair dryer.  The dryer will work but it may dry up the natural oils of the feather very quickly.  The steaming allows the feather to absorb just what is needed.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 01:37:00 PM »
After I shoot a deer and my fletchings get bloody or they just loose their shape I wash mine and then dip them in gasoline and shake them dry.

Does anyone else use gas?
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©