3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hiking/hunting boots  (Read 4094 times)

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
Hiking/hunting boots
« on: June 08, 2020, 07:10:37 AM »
I am looking at danner boots for hiking hunting boot. I just can't spend the kind of money for kenetreks right now.

Has anybody had any experience with Danner boots and what are your thoughts?

Thanks Matt.
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hiking/hunting boots
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 07:52:23 AM »
I’ve wore the danner elk hunters for years and like them.  I think it’s just a matter of what fits your foot best.
Tim B

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 10:22:01 AM »
There is nothing wrong with Danner Pronghorns.  Mine usually last two seasons.  They take very little time to break in.  For me they are a gold standard.  There are some a little better but you will pay. 

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 10:33:04 AM »
I have a pair of Elk Hunter they can be rebuilt for half the cost of new pair.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 12:03:10 PM »
I’ve had two pair of Danner. Different styles,one a hiker and the other a full sized boot.  The Construction was very good on both, but that was ten years ago.

The second pair didn’t fit quite as well, maybe because of problems with my feet.
So I went to Meindles, of course more money, but they are boot of choice now.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 08:52:20 AM by MnFn »
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 12:40:53 PM »
Last year I was going to Kodiak and needed a pair of boots, I looked Danner Pronghorns and their reviews. Kept looking and then Scheels had them for $111 dollars so bought a pair. First thing I did was fill a tub with water up over my ankles and stand in it for 15 minutes. No leakage which was the main complaint in reviews, I wore them everywhere for a few days, comfortable, hardly any break in needed. They worked out great in the rain and wind and everything else that goes along with the island. After coming home and whitetail hunting I found myself using them as much as my rubber boots for the comfort. Well worth the $111. 

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 12:59:17 PM »
Got an up and coming company in this market looking at being a Sponsor here.  Made in the USA also.

I have always strived to buy quality boots that last and preserve your foot health.

Footwear is majorly underrated.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 01:17:29 PM »
Last pair I bought several years ago was Meindle. Little pricey but I’m very happy with them and figure they should last me for years.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline matt schuster

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2020, 02:04:23 PM »
I am a boot rep and have worked for several boot companies over the years after working for New Balance for several decades.   Have owned Pronghorns in the past and won't say a bad thing about them.    I now rep Thorogood Boots, a company mostly known for our USA-made work boots, and we are coming out with a hunting boot next month called the Infinity that was designed by the gentleman who used to design the boots Meindl made for Cabela's.   When Bass Pro bought Cabela's, he came to work for Thorogood.    Although the Infinity is not out yet, it is designed to be similar to the Kenetrek at about half the price.     Kenetrek's are great boots as well and I have a pair that I won't wear anymore now that we are making hunting boots. . lol.     One real key with any boots is just to make sure it fits your foot.   A boot I love, you may hate because all of our feet are different.

When our new hunting boots launch in July, we are the ones who are going to advertise on Tradgang.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2020, 02:16:59 PM »
It really depends on what you are doing.  I wore Danner elk hunters for years while hunting elk in Washington and Idaho and loved them.  Took them to Alaska where the hills were steeper and rocky and they self destructed the first season.  Side wall broke down.  Went to mountaineering boots for that application and have not looked back.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2020, 04:22:10 PM »
I bought a Pair of Danner Frontiers w/1000 gr. thinsulate many years ago in July of all times.  They were discounted less than 1/2 price due to it being the middle of summer.  I still have them as they were USA made and re-solable and I'm on the second set.  This model may not even be offered now and if it is it's probably "evolved" and may be entirely different, but I've been entirely satisfied.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Tim Reese

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Cut it out
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2020, 04:23:29 PM »
These are my fav hikers that I have. Not good for deep water as they are short. But love them. And are rebuildable
66” Northern Mist Superior
68” Howard Hill cheetah

Offline degabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2020, 09:39:07 PM »
Don't care for boots with heavy lugs because they carry too much mud into the house. That makes the wife unhappy.

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2020, 10:30:35 PM »
I really like my danner boots . sorry can't remember the model.
 Only had to change the inserts to fit my high arch.
 Wear them almost exclusively when hunting.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

arrow30

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2020, 01:24:51 AM »
i used to wear danners, :laughing: got tired of spending 200 plus every year on boots, now i prefer something light weight that fits good.plenty of boots that are just as good that last just as long and wont break the bank. :knothead:

Offline F. Dobbs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2020, 10:57:42 AM »
I've hear rumblings about Thorogood.  I'd like to check them out for this fall as I am in the market.  I hear they are serious about making a great affordable boot.

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2020, 05:04:03 PM »
used a pair of meindl until my arch's flattened out and they became too small. now i have Lowa. both very good.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Online kopfjaeger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2020, 07:16:13 AM »
Been using these Meindl Ibex boots since 1998. I did have them resoled a couple times. They are great boots. They fit like a hiking boot and are gortex. Besides wearing them around home bowhunting small game I wore them on seven trips to Colorado bowhunting elk and muledeer, and twice bowhunting black bear in New Brunswick Canada. They're a tough boot.
HE made me into a polished arrow & concealed me in HIS quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Offline Silent footed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2020, 11:57:23 PM »
I use addidas terrex sneakers. QUIET, flexible, can feel the twig before it pops and back your foot off immediately before it makes a sound; and lasts longer than moccasins.

Guys tell me they need boots to protect their feet. But I say if you're tromping around to the extent that you need foot protection then you need to SLOW down.

I know this is not a recommendation. But couldn't help it.  Sorry guys. Every deer I've ever killed has been on foot while still-hunting. Hence my screen name on here.

I'm sure all these boots are quite durable though.

Offline Karl61

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2020, 01:14:08 AM »
Wore a pair of (broken in) Danner Pronghorns on a three or four day deer hunt in the mountains in Colorado some years back.  Thirty days after the hunt most of the skin had healed on my toes.  They found their purpose in life behind my lawn mower.  Lowas ever since. Pronghorn might do ok hunting back 40 whitetails but not a boot for the mountains with a pack. But boot fit is certainly a personal thing.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©