3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: antelope hunt?  (Read 926 times)

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
antelope hunt?
« on: June 08, 2020, 11:09:06 PM »
Anyone know of an outfitter that may have openings for this year?  I've talked to a couple outfitters in the past couple days and they were both booked solid through 2021.  I thought with everything going on there might be cancellation openings but doesn't appear so.  I've looked at Wyoming and South Dakota. Any further west would probably be too far for this year with the time I have available.   

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: antelope hunt?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 12:47:46 PM »
I certainly don’t know if he has any openings, but Routier outfitters in South Dakota would be my first look. Great people
is it September yet??

Offline That_MN_Guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 03:38:26 PM »
Have you thought about NE? I believe the archery tags are OTC. You might be able to pick up a leftover in WY later this summer too. May not be an outfitter but better than nothing!

Offline yeager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 09:58:44 PM »
You could check with Fred Eichler of Full Draw Outfitters in Colorado.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Bowhunter Assoc lifetime member
P&Y Club, Official Measurer

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 10:26:20 PM »
Thanks guys.  I found an outfitter in Wyoming that still has one opening left and they look pretty good.  Need to check some references and see if I can still get a tag.  Looks like the application period closed June 1.  Guess that's what I get for not planning ahead. 
Huntnmuleys- I hunted antelope with Routtier Outfitters in 2016.  You are right they are great people but I was disappointed in some things with the hunt.  I can see where they may be a great place for muleys though.

Online Warchild

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 01:39:07 PM »
Are you sure that you need an outfitter? I went to Gillette Wyoming last year and saw over 300 Antelope in 2 days of hunting. Unfortunately I got food poisoning from the Burger King in Gillette and was on my back for the rest of the trip. Only issue I had was that the terrain was pretty open and tough to get close to them. Saw some really nice bucks though, make sure that you go for the opener as late season has the goats all pushed off the BLM and public land.

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 04:32:12 PM »
Warchild- I haven't booked with the outfitter yet and am considering diy in South Dakota.  I asked for a couple traditional bowhunter references and haven't heard back yet.  If I can't get at least a couple references I won't book with them.  The tag in SD is otc and $100 cheaper than Wyoming and it looks like there are good populations in the western counties with lots of blm and wia lands.  I'm thinking about taking my blind and finding a waterhole to set up on.  Would probably camp on blm land as most of the areas I looked at weren't close to towns. I've heard they're having a dry year out there so that would up the odds a little although going with an outfitter would surely be a higher chance of success but diy would be more rewarding.   I'll avoid Burger King.  Ha ha     

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 08:49:51 PM »
That MN Guy-  I forgot to mention I've hunted antelope 3 times in NE.  The place I hunted was a mile from Wyoming and 1 1/2 mile from South Dakota.  There were lots of goats but I never connected and looking to break that jinx somewhere else.  It is an inexpensive otc tag though.  I never saw antelope in the public grassland areas there though.  They seemed to hang around the private alfalfa fields.   

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2020, 10:47:25 AM »
Wyoming used to have a land owner / hunter program where you could match yourself up with a rancher.  Did that end?
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©