3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbow Search  (Read 1930 times)

Offline BernieG

• Trad Bowhunter
Longbow Search
« on: June 10, 2020, 01:30:33 PM »
I used to shoot traditional archery years back and for one reason or another I hung up my bow and never seemed to get the interest back to bother with it anymore.  However, my wife and I have been shooting a Samick Sage Recurve just for fun and I started to get that old fun feeling back.  I would really like to try my hand with a longbow.  Whatever Longbow I eventually choose will be used for deer hunting come fall as well, assuming I can improve enough by then to feel good enough to use one and have a good chance at a humane harvest.  So, I'm going to ask the question that has probably been asked and answered a thousand times.  If you could only have one Longbow for Beauty (as someone once said to me, life's too short to shoot an ugly bow), durability and shooting performance.  What would it be?  I've been looking around and I've taken a liking to the Shrew bows just from sight.  We are planning to go to the Traditional Archery Rendezvous in Denton Hill PA  the last weekend in July.  I've heard it's a huge event and if I can't find a Longbow to my liking (and possibly one for the wife) then I'm not going to find one anywhere.  Just wondering where my search should start.  Currently shoot 45# at 28 but could probably nudge that up to 50 with little problem.  I doubt Debbie is ever going to shoot much more than 35# and she has a 26" draw.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow Search
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 01:46:03 PM »
I think Denton Hill is going to be a great learning experience as far as getting a close up look at a lot of longbows of various forms,designs,looks and shooting qualities.Alot of your own questions could probably be answered their as far as what you will find you like.The best thing is you can test shoot the bows!!!

Not all bowyers will be their is the only problem.So you cant try them all.But their should be a lot of bowyers who build longbows showing their products. 

Offline NYRON

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • LifeCycle Gear
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 01:47:08 PM »
Hi Bernie. Welcome back to the traditional fold...it's an addiction that is hard to break!

I see you are in PA. We are in Port Matilda, just about 20 minutes from State College.

I mostly do online sales, but you are welcome to swing by and shoot some bows to figure out what you like. I usually have 30-40 in stock.

Our information is here www.yourlifecyclegear.com

Keep the Traditional Spirit Alive!
Ron
Your Forest, Your Bow, Your Adventure!

www.yourlifecyclegear.com

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 02:03:01 PM »
Golly, there's a lot of high quality bows you should try! Toelke, Caribow, Javaman, Big Jim, Centaur, Big Stick, Two Tracks, Tall Tines Stickflinger(dunno if Michael will be there though), A&H, etc.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 04:46:23 PM »
I am a diehard ASL fan, so naturally, I would suggest a top line Hill style bow. They are beautiful and very nice but can be costly when purchased new. However, you can find really nice items in the used market at reasonable prices. There are Trad Gang sponsors that carry them as well as the member classified section if you are a contributing member. The main reason I suggest a top line bow (used) is that if you don't like it in the long run, you can get more of your money back out of it than with a lesser bow.

In addition, a number of fans of R/D or other styles will give some good recommendations as well, so whatever style you select you will find good info on them. It has been a while since I shot R/D, but I have a Deathwish by Steve Welte (I think his daughter now builds them) that is a very good bow. I also have 3 Dan Quillian Bamboo Longhunter bows that I consider to be a very underrated bow. Unfortunately, you don't see them around much unless you seek them out. Its all good, so try as many as you can and buy what strikes your fancy. You and your wife have started on a fascinating journey. Good luck on your quest.
Sam

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 05:02:06 PM »
Generally Gregg Coffey will be there with a load of purdy Javaman bows for you to fondle.  They are as smooth and sweet as any made.  Big Jim will have a nice line of bows too.  Black Widow is generally there too.  Too many bows not enough money. LOL :goldtooth:
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline RodL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 10:13:06 PM »
Take a look at PrimalTech bows, Randy makes some real beautiful bows and they shoot as good as they look!! He is a great man to deal with during the building process!! 

Rodney

Offline Swiftspeed10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 12:19:25 AM »
To add onto the list stated by others, Centaur makes a beautiful longbow, as does Dwyer and Great Plains.
Benny
-------------------------------------------------------------
Centaur Glass 57# at 28" (58")
Sauk Trail Kenu 40# at 27" (52")--->waiting for build

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 11:32:52 AM »
To many good (excellent) bowyers to choose from that’s for sure. I would choose a bow that you will use the most. At least for now. I am in a similar fix looking for that “last ever” LB. At 75 years I have to face the question of how much time left hiking the hills looking for critters left. I may be inclined to get a bow for small game here in the desert and for “shooting”. Like I say to many choices!

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 02:11:30 PM »
Check out Liberty Bows.  My Edge model is forgiving & quick.  Allen's bows are top notch. 

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2020, 02:24:30 PM »
In my search for "the one", I have settled on Toelke. 
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline ozarkcherrybow1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2020, 03:57:42 PM »
Martin Savanna is my favorite at the moment. It really likes shooting woodies🏹

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2020, 05:59:53 PM »
A 62" Centaur with Dark matter remains easily as my personal number one choice.

Reference Trad  Gang bow review Centaur 'Ride in the Saddle"
Eahttp://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/index.php?topic=74190.msg1348666#msg1348666sily
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 07:22:48 PM by Friend »
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2020, 07:09:07 PM »
 BernieG:

You have had a ton of suggestions and like trucks everyone has their opinion on what is best for them.  I certainly can't argue with that at all.  I think the key here as has been mentioned, if you are going to Denton Hill make a list of bow folks you want to visit.  Then do that as most will have bows in your draw weight right there and ready for you to try.  I happen to like Black Widow.  I own 5 of them.  Big Jim is a former student of mine and produces a fantastic bow as can be seen from comments on this site.  I also like A&H if you want to go for high tech speed etc.  So many bows, too little time.

Do not be afraid to sit down and talk with these manufacturers and explain what you are looking for.  Talk over their custom options besides the gorgeous pieces of art work they produce.  Ask about grip modifications if you need or want that.  Ask about over all length  based on how you shoot and your draw length so you can get some idea as to whether they can make a bow at the draw length and poundage you and your wife want.

Then you can start looking at the "eye candy" that their custom bows can be.  I agree.... Life is too short to shoot an ugly bow 

Good luck on your quest.  Dont get "mind blown" by what you see.....  LOL
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2020, 09:57:03 AM »
The only way to really know what is best for you is to shoot them. I have shot a bunch over the years and the grip that suits me best (thus I shoot it the best) to date is the Javaman Elkheart. I have recently shot a Toelke Pika and it will definitely work for me as well. Have fun in your journey to “the” bow.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2020, 03:09:07 PM »
Although I’ve never seen one , much less shot one I’m getting an itch to try a longbow again. Been looking at the MadDog bows, good reviews and good prices too. But the one for you will best be found bu trying as many as you can. Good luck on the search.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2020, 03:12:13 PM »
Well, that didn’t sound right, I have actually seen and shot a longbow, just not the Maddog bows. I’ve probably had half a dozen longbows , some I could shoot better than others , but none as well as a recurve.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2020, 04:24:59 PM »
If you're not shooting a Primaltech you're just wasting your shots.
No, I know there are a lot of great bowyers out there.  But Randy builds a beauty that has performance built in.  Quiet, fast and solid.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline gnome

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Losing arrows since 1966
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2020, 12:24:49 PM »
I used to shoot traditional archery years back and for one reason or another I hung up my bow and never seemed to get the interest back to bother with it anymore.  However, my wife and I have been shooting a Samick Sage Recurve just for fun and I started to get that old fun feeling back.  I would really like to try my hand with a longbow.  Whatever Longbow I eventually choose will be used for deer hunting come fall as well, assuming I can improve enough by then to feel good enough to use one and have a good chance at a humane harvest.  So, I'm going to ask the question that has probably been asked and answered a thousand times.  If you could only have Any Longbow for Beauty (as someone once said to me, life's too short to shoot one bow), durability and shooting performance.  What would it be?  I've been looking around and I've taken a liking to the Shrew bows just from sight.  We are planning to go to the Traditional Archery Rendezvous in Denton Hill PA  the last weekend in July.  I've heard it's a huge event and if I can't find a Longbow to my liking (and possibly one for the wife) then I'm not going to find one anywhere.  Just wondering where my search should start.  Currently shoot 45# at 28 but could probably nudge that up to 50 with little problem.  I doubt Debbie is ever going to shoot much more than 35# and she has a 26" draw.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Fixed that for U....just one bow   :scared: .... what where you thinking?... :dunno:

All of the bows mentioned so far, are nothing short of great, (and a 2x nod to the Shrew/Javaman bows...I’ve just started shooting a set of Javaman double carbon longbow limbs…. They are awesome smooth.) but most are $$$$$, and 1yr+ before you get to shoot it….  Not exactly a toe in the water jump to make from the Sage….  Have you considered a Bear Montana? They are American made,  shoot well and won’t break the bank.  A step up from the Montana, in the buy it now category, would be an Ausable, or any of the Martin longbows....   For only a short wait , a very overlooked, high performance bow, (in my opinion a real bargain) is the Omega Imperial by Kegan McCabe. 
The currency of War, is not money, but the lives of our sons and daughters. Spend wisely. ~ gnome

My opinions come from experience, 𝚌̶𝚘̶𝚖̶𝚖̶𝚘̶𝚗̶ ̶𝚜̶𝚎̶𝚗̶𝚜̶𝚎̶, and scar tissue. ~ gnome

IQ is accepting truth when you see it, while not believing everything you see. ~gnome~    (see Luke, 12:1)

Proverbs 21:9,19

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2020, 01:45:09 PM »
Hill Country bows also has caught my attention recently. I'm gonna have to try one sometime.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©