3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadheads?  (Read 1754 times)

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Broadheads?
« on: June 10, 2020, 07:52:43 PM »
Don’t ask me why but sometimes things from long ago pop into mind. As we age we forget all kinds stuff. Nice to remember occasionally.
As a kid broadheads seemed affordable. I remember too a sheet of styrofoam in many archery shops w single broadheads in em. You could buy just one of a pretty good selection. Try em all see what you actually liked. Now you need to commit to a pack and they ain’t cheap.
I understand tuning n such I just wonder being seems more guys than not been at this a long time how the new guys go about deciding on a head? Is it just blind recommendations from forums? A recommendation from a mentor? There’s obviously pros n cons to all choices and it should be somewhat dictated by equipment but I’m just curious. If you all are newish how did you decide?

Had an idea as well. I haven’t figured any logistics but I bet many have a few heads around they tried n never used or heads they switched from n have like 1-2 more left.
Too bad we didn’t have a way of blunting em down so no one got hurt n having a “pass around” for guys to try a few dif heads. I’m not looking to switch but I think it’d help someone? Just a thought I’ll prob forget it later. Ugh
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
Re: Broadheads?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 08:05:00 PM »
Having a BH pass around for trial and/or testing is a great idea.
 :coffee: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Sojurn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 08:25:22 PM »
Personally, I started with what grandpa shot.  Zwicky's.  But, I found out quickly I didn't care for them.  I could never get them as sharp as I would like, and they never held an edge very long for me.  So then I read everything I could online, asked everyone I know what they shoot, and watched hours of youtuber's giving thier opinion. 
   I went to a broadhead with a known steel and also decided to try out single bevel BH's. They didn't wow me, and they still didn't hold an edge very long. 
  This year, I'll be shooting Magnus black hornets, but I'll be replacing the main blade with one I've made myself out of a harder steel.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 09:42:57 AM »
I've been using Zwickeys since the 80s.  No problem getting them sharp or them holding an edge. I've shot numerous deer where I could have knocked the dirt off and shot it again it was still that sharp.  And durable to the point of killing 14 deer and 1 hog with the same head.  I can't for the life of me figure out how people today can't get broasheds sharp with all of the technological advances plus  Modern utensils.   Heck, I sharpened a hatchet that would not only chop wood but would shave hair back when I was in scouts with a file.  Polished my Zs with a dremel tool and jeweler's rouge.  The edges look like a mirror.

I've also killed stuff and played with many other heads over the last nearly 40 years....and there's not many beads made that don't fly well.  The only heads I've seen that were subject to bad flight were ones that were wide and non vented on poorly tuned arrows or bows with bad release operators.

Although I have experienced some heads not very durable.....sorry, gotta cut it short...
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 10:28:35 AM »
Interesting. I also use Zwickey but have gone through a few heads. Anyhow I can’t see either how guys can’t sharpen. It’s actually really easy. It’s just the not wanting to, I don’t believe most is by any means unable. That being said as a kid one snow day I took an old hatchet n decided I’d get it to shave hair. It was real old, real dull n pretty “rounded”. Took some doing to get it sharp but as I was 13 and home from a bad snow storm week, I figured it’d be better than watching tv to attempt this.
I first filed it than took a stone to it to get the grooves the rough file I’d used on it out. I finally achieved my mission. It was shaving hair. Satisfied I went into the house.
As I say there I hear this popping noise. Pop pop pop, pop pop pop. What the heck is that?
I go outside my mom took my hatchet and was chopping ice off some stone. She had the edges all beat up. I was really aggravated n never tried it as a kid again.
Many guys find sharpening a prob mainly because they don’t keep up on it. Each time I use a broad head, axe, knife I simply touch it up. A few swipes and I’m good. Don’t forget to strop it boys, imo a necessary step
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 11:41:32 AM »
Zwickey is hard to sharpen?
And it won't hold an edge?
Boy I'm glad I didn't know that, all these years.
Been using them almost exclusively only switched to  ACE a few years ago because I enjoyed visiting with them at their booth and they are as good as Zwickeys.
Now I'm wondering if the ACE are hard to sharpen and keep sharp too... :knothead:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sojurn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 05:41:10 PM »
I feel like I have to defend myself here a bit.  It's not that i can't get them sharp, it's really not very difficult.  And it's certainly not that I'm shy about putting in the work to make something sharp.  I'm a part time knife maker, so I know what it takes to create and maintain an edge.  I'm also not implying that anyone's experience is wrong here.  I can only relate my own observations and expectations. 
  Most broadheads are hardened to somewhere in the low 50's rhc so they don't explode when they hit something harder than soft tissue (Forgive me if I'm telling you things you already know).  I think that leaves quite a bit on the table when it comes to edge retention.  I know many people have killed many critters with Zwickeys over the years and I'm not talking bad about the BH, they just aren't for me. 
  If I'm not mistaken the OP was asking how people came to choose the BH's they have now, and I was only relating that experience.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 05:44:19 PM »
Yes it’s just of interest to me,  there’s no right or wrong answer. Thanks for replying.
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 07:22:21 PM »
I think a broadhead pass around is a good idea. I have very few unused heads available, though.

I have been fascinated by the discussions of sharpening. I have used a whole bunch of heads and over a dozen sharpening systems. I am very lacking in sharpening skills. I have used Bear, Herter's, Grizzly, Magnus, Zwickey, and a few others and have found it difficult to get them right. I can do it, but it is a pain. I have watched a lot of videos and talked to a lot of accomplished people, but I still can't do it very well. Earlier, I obtained a lifetime supply of Bear Razorheads, so I am in decent shape, as I can get these heads shaving sharp.
Sam

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2020, 10:56:31 AM »
BTW... If you put together a broadhead traveling package I'll have 1 or 2 to donate I'm sure.... If you are you and wanted to do this I would start a list of what you have and who would donate what to the list..... That way people could fill in the blanks.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2020, 11:30:58 AM »
Darn it, I may have to switch from my 3 blade “Top 3” heads.  Snuffer(original), VPA and Grizzly Instinct.
 :coffee: :campfire: :thumbsup:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2020, 01:23:02 PM »
Sojourn, no worries.  Yes, OPs original....

I chose Zs cause I was given one back in the 80s by a guy named Jerry Duplantis out of Louisiana. He had shot through a charging elk length wise with a Z D 4B.  Me being a youngster he had my attention. 

I chose them because I could get them sharp, like Jerry taught me, and I've stuck with them as my 90% mainstay ever since cause of their durability and effectiveness.

BTW, the 1st Zs I had were the rare blue ones.... I still have just short of a dozen of them retired on arrows.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2020, 01:31:39 PM »
I’m a big fan of Zwickey broadheads. I use the Deltas and find them easy to sharpen and I’ve never concerned myself too much about the holding an edge thing. I figure if they are sharp going in and do the job I don’t really care how sharp they are pulling them out of the dirt. I’m going to touch them up regardless.
I’ve also used Magnus  with good success. Several years ago I tried some single bevel Cutthroat and Abowyer. Seemed like good heads and I killed a couple deer with them but they didn’t do anything my Zwickeys won’t do for a third the price.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2020, 01:42:44 PM »
BTW... If you put together a broadhead traveling package I'll have 1 or 2 to donate I'm sure.... If you are you and wanted to do this I would start a list of what you have and who would donate what to the list..... That way people could fill in the blanks.

Terry I’d donate a broad head or two myself. I wasn’t sure if it was even allowed.
I’d help start it but let’s hear some ideas how we’d do it? I guess we’d need to get them together, prob mark them somehow so the person trying them knew what he was trying.
Shipping them would be no issue, I’d say the person asking would pay the expense? Also I know it’d be a honor thing but we’d need someone to send them to next or they’d need to be returned to be ready for the next person.
Any ideas from anyone please offer them up.
I believe we can do this.
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2020, 02:18:08 PM »
Weight and cutting diameter are my first considerations.  Cost and durability are in there.  As already stated if you have a well tuned set up most heads should fly well.  Steel too soft or too hard is difficult to sharpen to my standards.  Also steel that will hold an edge is good.  Some very reputable heads lose their edge just sitting in a quiver hanging on the wall between hunts and that is not my kind of head to buy.  I prefer heads that come sharp even though I always check and touch up edges on new heads.  My reasoning is if the maker of the head cannot sharpen it then I'm pretty sure there is a reason I don't want it.  Experience has shown that to be true.
Replaceable blade heads are nice if you aren't good at sharpening them but of the brands I've used it seems the quality has slipped that last two decades and they are no longer a consideration for me.
I've killed multiple animals with the same heads many times.  I clean them, touch up the edge and put it on the first arrow that comes out of the quiver.  Then again I've destroyed a head of the same brand hitting the spine on a deer or the front leg joint of a large hog.
I have the disposable income to try different heads and have some on the shelf that were fairly expensive that don't get used and think about that "wasted" money sometimes.  However I like having confidence in my equipment and sometimes that comes at a cost.
I've decided a two blade wider cut is what I prefer and that is generally all I look at anymore.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline Sojurn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2020, 05:29:16 PM »
I've got a few Grizzly 160 grain(150? maybe) single bevels sharpened up.  They are the glue on type but I've got the 75 grain steel inserts in them so they can be screwed onto a carbon or aluminum arrow.  I'd me more than happy to donate them to the traveling BH pack.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2020, 08:47:27 PM »
Should we start two? One glue on one screw on or does everyone think complicating things too much?
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2020, 09:32:19 AM »
Michael.... Great idea....here are some thoughts....

I have a container that might work, IF I can find it.(strongbox square metal military approx 12x12x4 that military guys might know about, least older ones as this one is older than me)....has heads and foam in it.

Row heads in foam and ship from person to person. All recipiants addresses and phone numbers confirmed.

Donors post a GOOD pic and description of head(s) on 'Test Collection Thread' for identification. This will include weight of head AND weight of adapter. Much easier to use a thread for reference than trying to label the container that could fill up or be to large to ship easily or cheaply due to interior labeling or even misplacement of a head.

Decide if separate test collections for glue and screw ins.

Strong request for those that participate to post their choice AND complete arrow specs....AND bow specs.  This way the collections will be a reference for others.

Any similar/look alike heads to be differentiated by paint marks, same for two like heads of different weights.

Decide max time limit till next recipient(1 month between might work as it will allow shipping on both ends of 3 weeks of testing)

Request that no heads be modified, that being no adapters removed from or inserted into.  Heads to be used as ther are.

Each tester would pay shipping insured and post receipt so the collection can be kept up with location.

I woul have one request beyond those suggestions,  although I may remember something else I forgot....

It would be nice name this the Bowmark's Collection in honor of Mark Sharpe, a great Tradgang member that was friends to many here, and asset to our community, and passed away before many others and I got to take him hunting....

http://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/index.php?topic=71336.msg1297306#msg1297306

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2020, 09:38:33 AM »

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2020, 10:20:57 AM »
Here's one....let me see if I can find the other...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©