3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Considering a DAS DX5 Longbow  (Read 1579 times)

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
Considering a DAS DX5 Longbow
« on: June 16, 2020, 08:39:26 PM »
I never thought I would say it, but I am considering trying an aluminum riser bow, and am really thinking about the DAS DX5 with longbow limbs!

I love all trad bows, but in the past few years have gotten where I shoot/prefer a longbow draw force curve better than a recurve and like the idea of the 15" riser and a good performing LB limb. The thought and looks of one of these setups seems pretty appealing but know little specifics about them other than the basics, or the do's and dont's when ordering one.

My thoughts right now are the DX5 riser with XL Dryad double carbon limbs making a 62" bow which is my go to with all of my hybrids now.

I just think this would be a great set up for some of my western hunts coming up with airline travel and rough situations vs beating up my lookers.

Those of you that have experience with these set ups, would you please provide your feedback and pictures if available? I just can't seem to find a lot of information on the DX5 w/ LB limbs!

Thanks in advance.

Offline gnome

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Losing arrows since 1966
Re: Considering a DAS DX5 Longbow
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 11:55:31 PM »
I have been shooting a Sky TDX-15, which was the gen-1 version of the  DX-5, for many years.  I have nothing but good things to say about it.  It is the only ILF riser that I know of, that was designed from the start as a longbow riser.  Everything else, your shooting a recurve style grip with longbow limbs, and it doesn’t feel right.   I  had been shooting it with a pair of Samick  Trad Tech longbow limbs, and have just changed them out for a new pair of Javaman xl double carbon limbs from 3Rivers.  The Trad tech limbs shot well, and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them to anyone wanting longbow limbs on a budget, but the carbons are notably faster, and so much smoother shooting.  I don’t have any experience with the Dryad limbs yet, but the Javaman limbs were designed for this riser and  make for an excellent combination.
The currency of War, is not money, but the lives of our sons and daughters. Spend wisely. ~ gnome

My opinions come from experience, 𝚌̶𝚘̶𝚖̶𝚖̶𝚘̶𝚗̶ ̶𝚜̶𝚎̶𝚗̶𝚜̶𝚎̶, and scar tissue. ~ gnome

IQ is accepting truth when you see it, while not believing everything you see. ~gnome~    (see Luke, 12:1)

Proverbs 21:9,19

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 08:06:19 AM »
thank you, that is some good information.

Do you find it to be quiet? I had heard too that the pocket on the Gen 2 may help more with noise but have actually never seen either in person.

Offline gnome

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Losing arrows since 1966
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 09:00:02 AM »
Quiet can be pretty subjective….  But I’m going to say yes… a well tuned bow is a quiet bow.
It's also going to be hard for any ILF to be as  silent as a well tuned one piece wood bow.
But the ease of adjust ability in the ILF rises for things like tiler, side plate, and small poundage changes, make tuning a breeze, verse doing these thing with a wood bow.
The currency of War, is not money, but the lives of our sons and daughters. Spend wisely. ~ gnome

My opinions come from experience, 𝚌̶𝚘̶𝚖̶𝚖̶𝚘̶𝚗̶ ̶𝚜̶𝚎̶𝚗̶𝚜̶𝚎̶, and scar tissue. ~ gnome

IQ is accepting truth when you see it, while not believing everything you see. ~gnome~    (see Luke, 12:1)

Proverbs 21:9,19

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 02:28:34 AM »
have a sky archery tdx 17 riser with sky foam carbon xxl limbs for a 64 inch longbow. 50 @ 28 and around 60 at my 32 draw. this shoots lights out and scary fast - 200 fps with 550 gn arrow is the norm.

i would suggest you go for Sky Limbs (Jim Belcher still makes them under the moniker of bivouac bows). he is a joy to talk to and know.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 06:41:32 AM by acedoc »
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©