3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Trad Hunter - Any Nuggets Of Wisdom?  (Read 4567 times)

Offline LUMEN

• Trad Bowhunter
New Trad Hunter - Any Nuggets Of Wisdom?
« on: June 20, 2020, 07:19:16 AM »
Hi everyone,

I’m brand new to trad archery but I’ve been hunting exclusively with a bow (compound) for the last 10 years or so. I got into bowhunting at 20 which is later than most of you I’d imagine. I became quickly obsessed and haven’t hunted with a rifle since buying my first bow. I’ve always been drawn to trad bows and finally decided to take that leap -  better late than never eh? I’m 30 now, originally from Oregon but now living just outside of Louisville, Kentucky. I hunt primarily whitetail deer, turkey, rabbit, and when time allows I try to head south for hogs.

A good friend of mine who’s a trad hunter put me in touch with a gentleman down in Georgia who’s a bowyer and I’m now waiting on my longbow to be built. I’m 6’3 and have a long draw length (31” on compound); I had my friend measure my draw on one of his longbows prior to the bowyer getting started. We settled on a 64” bow 46# @30”. In all likelihood I won’t receive that bow until sometime in October but I’m unbelievably excited!

I’m totally out of my element here guys. The few times I’ve shot a trad bow I was awful. I plan to apply some of what I learned compound hunting and arrow building to my new adventures in trad hunting; mostly the arrow building part (I’ll explain below). I don’t know if I’m picking correctly but three under felt better to me than split finger; I don’t have enough experience to know all the pros and cons but I was advised to shoot what is most comfortable to me and what I can shoot best doing. I’ll also be giving both tabs and gloves a try until I figure out which one feels/performs best for me.

I adopted heavy arrows really early on. I’m currently shooting 750 grains with about 23% FOC. I don’t need to tell you guys... those are some slow arrows but I’ve never had anything but pass through shots on deer. I’d like to also utilize heavy arrows on my longbow. I’ve been thinking 650-680 grains but I’ve got to figure out what dang spine I’ll need and I need to test various weights to see what flys well out of my bow (when I get it!). Growing up in Oregon mechanical broadheads were illegal until 2019 and I have no interest in using them - my 200 grain single bevels work just fine for me.

I hope you guys don’t mind a new guy around here. I’m here to read and soak up your wisdom. If you guys have any advice/wisdom, or information you wished you knew when you were starting I’d be thrilled to hear it. 

Thanks for having me!

Lumen

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Trad Hunter - Any Nuggets Of Wisdom?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 09:37:38 AM »
The most common mistake is usually being so intent on hitting the target that you ignore how you shoot the bow. :o
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 10:54:45 AM »
Naturally, learn basic shooting, tuning, form, and all the requirements of basic archery. Then learn as much about the game that you hunt as you can, and learn the territory that you plan to hunt (scout diligently). But the most important thing, to me, besides "hunt the wind" is to remember trad bowhunting is a close encounter. Have fun!
Sam

Offline That_MN_Guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 11:07:25 AM »
Welcome! Like you I’m also new to the trad game and this site. I’ve always been interested, but never gave it the time it deserved. I really started getting serious during quarantine and it’s a blast!

My best advice is to not get too hung up on tight groups like you’re used to with compounds. And if you’re having a bad day practicing just walk away. You’ll figure out when your form breaks down that you just need to take a break mentally. Welcome aboard!

Offline blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 12:07:28 PM »
Shooting stick bows require a whole lot more time and dedication and practice than wheelies.
But it's quite addicting and way more fun to practice. It's way more mental whereas then other is mechanical.
"Shooting the Stickbow" by Camera would be a good book to get also.
[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 12:47:22 PM »
I think that in order to enjoy hunting with a trad bow, you really have to be a person who enjoys shooting a lot of arrows. My compound shooting friends will show up at the range a few weeks before hunting season, shoot a few times a week until hunting season starts, and they’ll do fine. We trad shooters shoot all year as much as our bodies will stand, and most of us are still not certain we’re as ready as we should be for hunting. But we enjoy shooting all year, whether in the rain or the heat or a basement in mid-winter. It’s not something you can or should force yourself to do, just be honest with yourself and see which direction that points you.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 01:06:26 PM »
First off welcome to the exciting, and addicting world of traditional archery!!!  All good words of advise above, the hardest lesson that I have had to learn in the 20 plus years of shooting traditional is to learn when to stop as mentioned above.  I shoot both 3 under and split with my bows, depending on what I'm shooting.  My recurves are all 3 under, if I'm shooting my longbows it is split, it is what works best for me and I get the best arrow flight from them using the different styles. As far as your arrows go, don't be afraid to experiment with different shafts and fletch, and point weight to find what works best for your new bow.  A couple more books to maybe check out is, Instinctive Shooting 1 & 2 by G Fred Asbell.  Good luck on your new adventure down the traditional path.

Jason
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline A Lex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 07:59:49 PM »
Greetings from the other side of the pond LUMAN.

I'll chime in with a few of the important things I've learned so far in my journey:

• Alignment with a trad bow is really important - Do a search here on Tradgang for "Terrys Form Clock"

• Build EACH shot - Be consistent, as much fun as shooting arrows is, don't just haul it back and let 'er rip

• Remember to "Pick a spot" - Focus intently on it

• Clear your clothes - I'm 6' tall and let's say fairly solidly built, and I shoot 66" longbows. If I get slack (or tired) string clearance of my clothes can sometimes become an issue. Even now, it can still take a while for me to realise what's causing those few wild left and low shots. String clearance.

• Keep it fun - If you are having a bad day with your bow, put it down and go do something else for a while.

There is plenty of wisdom and tips here on Tradgang, and many of those here are very wise indeed and are very gracious and willing to share their knowledge and experience. It's a top site, the members and their knowledge have helped me immensely over the years.

Again, welcome

Best
Lex
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 08:06:13 PM by A Lex »
Good hunting to you all.
May the wind be your friend, and may your arrows fly true,
Most of all, may the appreciation and the gratitude of what we do keep us humble......

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2020, 08:58:55 PM »
I think I can safely say all of us welcome new people and we are glad to have you here!
I love hunting with trad gear and wholeheartedly agree with McDave- I just plain enjoy shooting with  bow and arrow and do so many days a week, year round.

Besides the enjoyment noted above, I have met so many great guys here and have been blessed to be able to hunt with a few of them.

Like almost everyone else I get frustrated some days, but I try to remember it’s supposed to be fun.

"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2020, 09:22:45 PM »
Welcome…also, from Kentucky

Enjoy the journey as it can be most fulfilling.

Note: getting with a competent archer may save you years and possibly even decades
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2020, 09:28:16 PM »
One mistake is over bowing but it sounds like you should be good with your choice.  Work on form and don’t shoot to exhaustion.  Shoot as many bows as you can and you’ll soon learn what will work for you.  Stick with it and keep the fun.
 :coffee: :campfire: :thumbsup:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2020, 10:03:37 PM »
If you re committed you will master it quickly. Use a bow with a tall brace height so it clears your clothing. Try to kill the first legal deer you get a shot at. (Unless you have great private property)

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2020, 07:57:50 AM »
I agree with Wud and Friend.

Offline LUMEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2020, 12:38:13 PM »
Hi Everyone, I'm sorry for the late reply. I'm in my last semester of grad school and it's kicking my butt. Well that and work, two kiddos, the wife, and everything else that comes with being a responsible adult haha!

Thank you all for all of the excellent advice! I plan to incorporate the wisdom shared with me in here. I'll be doing a lot of practicing as soon as my bow arrives. I love shooting bows and usually spend at least 5-7 days out of the week shooting on my club's indoor range, outdoor range, or 3D course. I'm hoping I can fling hundreds of arrows each week. As Friend mentioned I'll also see if I find an experienced trad archer/hunter that can correct my mistakes and give me a little insight. Friend you're not near Louisville by any chance are you? Haha!

I just bought 96 acres last week. The property is crawling with deer and rabbit. I'll bring a large haybale onto the property and hopefully get a small 3D course setup as well so I can practice like mad. I'll be focusing heavily on properly drawing, anchoring, and releasing my shots. I want to build up that muscle memory. I've already noticed in my very limited experience with trad bows that I can't get away with flaws in my form -- I was shooting my friend's longbow and was shaking like a leaf trying to hold a shot at full draw; I wasn't utilizing back tension correctly. There's a big difference when you don't have 85% letoff cams saving your butt huh? Haha!

I primarily hunt whitetail here in Kentucky so I'll be diligent in preparing for those 20 and under shots. If I can reach a level of confidence before the season ends in January I'll attempt to hunt with my longbow if I feel that I'm able to take an ethical shot. I'll always pass on a shot if I don't feel like I can ethically harvest the animal. There's no worse feeling than wounding a deer and not recovering the animal - I've been blessed that it's only happened to me once and it still bothers me years later.

Again, thank you all! I've got a little time before my bowyer finishes my bow so I've got a lot of reading and research to do. I still need to go buy a finger tab and/or glove, and get some new arrows. Since I currently shoot heavy arrows and will continue shooting heavy on a trad bow I'm thinking about getting a 340 spine and 400 spine and seeing which one tunes best to my bow.

Thanks!

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2020, 02:43:51 PM »
That will be way to stiff for a 46 pound bow. You'll have people say if it's cut past center,bit it still wouldn't work.

Offline LUMEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2020, 02:53:24 PM »
That will be way to stiff for a 46 pound bow. You'll have people say if it's cut past center,bit it still wouldn't work.

Would you recommend a 500 spine? I was going to snag another dozen Black Eagle rampages at a lighter spine and stuff a ton of weight up front. I figured the heavy weight would require a stiffer spine (340, 400). Thanks for the heads up!

I’m flinging 750 grain arrows out of my wheel bow 60#/31” draw. Used .250 spine arrows for that build. I’m glad you said something - it’s obvious I have no clue what I’m doing with trad bows.

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2020, 05:21:59 PM »
3Rivers Archery up here in Gods country sells a test kit of arrows you may want to get. Give them a call. Very knowledgeable, very helpful. Just click the link up top.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2020, 05:52:31 PM »
I would plan on 400 spine arrows with your draw, and desire to load up front weight.  I'm pretty confident that 340 will be too heavy.

A couple of examples:
My two favorite bows are a 57# recurve and a 56# longbow at my 28" draw.  On those bows my favorite arrow is a 30.5" Beman ICS 400 with 100 gr brass insert and 225 gr broadhead.  Total weight comes in about 620-630 grains.  I've tried 340s and had to go almost full length with around 400 grains on the front.

I just started working on a 47lb longbow and it is tuning up nicely with a 500 spine CX heritage at 29.25" with ~200 grains on the front.  Total weight is about 510 grains.  If I want more weight, I can run a length of vinyl tubing in the shaft from nock to insert which brings it to 660 gr (haven't shot that yet - just experimenting).

I highly recommend downloading and becoming familiar with this doc.  http://www.acsbows.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/tuninglongbowsandrecurves.pdf

Since I shoot carbons, one of my best investments was an arrow saw for tuning the arrows, and a good assortment of field points weighing 145-250 grains.  A well tuned arrow is key to accuracy and building confidence.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2020, 06:00:53 PM »
I shoot .600 spine out of my 45 - 50# bows,  but I only draw 27". You might consider picking up a cheap used stickbow of similar specs to practice with all summer instead of waiting until the season is upon you.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2020, 10:11:55 PM »
Hello LUMEN...I am located in western KY...Slaugthers, KY...~2' 35"s away(~164 miles)

It should be worth your while to visit or even stay a couple of days...I have plenty of arrows to get you in the ball park for specs, have worked successfully with many traditional archers from entry level to world class and live on my farm which is developed specifically for hi quality deer management...note:planning to have 14 foodplots this year which may be of particular interest since you have just acquired your own property.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 06:30:12 AM by Friend »
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©