3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Take-Down Supreme...thoughts?  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Take-Down Supreme...thoughts?
« on: April 17, 2008, 10:59:00 PM »
Hello all,
I have an opportunity to get one of these bows at a really good price. But it would be sight unseen. I understand that Bear isn't the company of the past, but they still make some decent bows IMO. Does anyone have any opinions on this bow?

Thanks

Offline hs6181

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Take-Down Supreme...thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 11:50:00 PM »
they sure are pretty, not any  :help:  but true.
Harold

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »
I know a guy who has sent his supreme back twice!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline Abel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 12:32:00 AM »
You'd be better off with somethin' else. Take the money and put it on something that is known to stand up to what we are doing with these bows. Bear isn't even the name of the company anymore. They are not in the business of making bows, they're in the business of making money. Imagine a group of young suits sittin' around a board room callin' the shots on a huntin' bow. Not exactly a great recipe for craftsmanship.
"A bow in the hand is worth two in the bush."

Offline barebow62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 06:23:00 AM »
much better bows out there
silvertip 77# @28 58"
widow sab 80# @28 58"
stewart multicam 72# @28 62"
blacktail elite 69# @28 60"
brack quest 72# @28 62"

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 06:24:00 AM »
With-out a dout the best take down system ever...bar non...About 90% of Bear take downs are still in service after 39 years in the field.Pretty good track record there...bowdoc

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 07:02:00 AM »
I have a take down and it shoots great. With that said, if your going to spend the $1300.00 they want new, I'd look into a true custom. The bows speed isn't up to snuff and the grip is rather long and generic. Like bowdoc said it's a tuff son of a gun and for not changing in forty years it had to be the cream of the crop back then.

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 08:36:00 AM »
If I had $1300 to spend on a bow I would get two of the older Bear t/d's.  I see them every now and then for sale for $500 to $700 used but still in great shape.  I have 2 wooden B handles made in the 80's, a B and an A handle made in 2001 and an A & B magnesium handle along with 7 sets of limbs varying from the old green tips to the modern FF limbs.  I love those bows; I shoot them all and hunt with one in particular.  I am very rough on my bows and have never had any problems with any of those bows. So my sugestion is to stay away from the Supremes and get a couple of Bear t/d's that were made by Bear Archery not made by "a group of young suits sittin' around a board room callin' the shots on a huntin' bow." (Abel, that is a great description! Sad but true!!)
It's not what you kill but how you hunt...

Offline john1271

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 08:50:00 AM »
yep they are pretty but for that much money i would get a morrison or acadian with all the bells and whistles custom made to my specs  ... just my thought
black creek banshe 41#@28 60"god bless and have a red letter day...

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 08:54:00 AM »
I would agree with Bowdoc, best td system ever designed and the bows shoot great.

If the price is right I don't think you would ever loose money on it if you wanted to resale it.

As far as Bear being in the business to make money(as opposed to bows?), that how business works.   I don't think you'll find too many bowyers remaining in business unless they are making money on their product.  "young suits" calling the shots?   Fact or imaginary?

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 08:55:00 AM »
Personal choice would come into play also.Myself I like all Bear take downs,and if I had the dough I would buy a Supreme today.Shoot if I had the dough I would buy two of them...but thats just my choice.One other thought on Bear take downs...is the bowyer that worked at Bear Archery and also did personal work for Fred on most all of his bows for well over 30 years.....Is the same guy who runs the take down department today.So please insult him nicely...A rose of any other color is still a rose..................bowdoc

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 09:05:00 AM »
My Bear T.D. is 25 years old and I love it.  I wouldn't pay $1000.00 for any bow made by anybody even if they gave me somebody to follow me around and shoot it for me.  Since we're all giving personal opinions here I have to say that once the bows hit $400.00 they lost me as a customer.  I know the guys that build them work hard but I own a business and I work hard too but I had to find better ways to be more efficient and lower my prices over the years to stay competitive and I just think other businesses should follow suit.

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 09:13:00 AM »
I've been shooting Bear TDs since the 70s and hunt w/ a '69 B and a '71 B. I'm considering a Supreme cause it is made with probably the nicest wood of any model, barring the Signature. I just am reluctant to buy a high dollar bow that I would probably not hunt with as long as my older ones are holding up and they're just getting broke in real good.

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 09:24:00 AM »
Wow...great info fellas I really appreciate it. I am torn right now between a true custom and the bear. Basically, its gonna come down to money i think. I know I'll get the bear for a good price, since I am a dealer. However I contacted a bowyer and he gave me a really great price on a custom TD...dang!!!!!!

I guess I got some more research to do   :knothead:

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 09:30:00 AM »
They're not the Bears of old. IMHO, they're overpriced and for the money you can buy a really good custom bow. (nut)
Rich Potter

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 09:32:00 AM »
The latch system's elegant design is hard to beat. Since Frank Scott autographed a commemorative Super K manufactured in Gainesville for me in 2000, I don't think that the suits had much to do with the bowyers.
Remember when the venerable name of "Harley-Davidson" was mocked as "Hardly Ableson", "Hardly Driveable," "Hogly Ferguson" and the nickname "Hog" became pejorative? That was AMF(American Machine and Foundry, the bowling company), the same AMF that bought Wing Archery in 1968.  Wing Archery- a division of AMF went out of business in early 1990's.
Bear didn't sell to AMF, it moved to Florida.

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 09:45:00 AM »
The design is still good. I guess the real question is how well is it built and how good are the materials they use. Even with the same guy running the shop he may have to work under different constraints than he did before the ownership changed.

If you like the looks of it and the price is right, then go for it. Personally, I wouldn't spend that much just for the pretty woods when I can get a used plainer looking one with the same design and quality of craftsmanship for less.

Snakeeater
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 09:49:00 AM »
Well no they are not the bears of old...but Black Widows are not the widows of old eather.None of them are...And as for being over priced..You get what you pay for right or should anyhow....You guy's are telling me some plywood peace of whatever is worth 1,200.00-1,400.00.... come on at least Bear used real wood...bowdoc

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 10:11:00 AM »
The Bear bashers on any of these forums usually have no clue what they're talking about.  Bowdoc has the knowledge to speak for the Bear bows.  The Bear Takedown, still will shoot with any other bow out there.  I've used them for about twenty eight years and have not had any trouble with them.  Without question...the best takedown system ever devised...durable and effective.

Oh....I don't need bells and whistles with my bows....they are distracting 8^).

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2008, 10:44:00 AM »
If you all want to see what a real custom bow is...Check out this pic...it's a true custom...I cumtomized it myself....Ya gotta love em huh???  

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©