3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Take-Down Supreme...thoughts?  (Read 1216 times)

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Take-Down Supreme...thoughts?
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »
Not bad BD-almost as nice as the '69 you slimmed down for me.                      Grant

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »
It's your money. If I had the cash, I'd own one of every bow made, but I love to shoot. I have a 1997 Fred Bear TD B riser and a 2007 A riser with RER limbs that twill shoot with pretty much any recurve made. Get what makes you happy, you can always make more money.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2008, 11:36:00 AM »
I have an old Grayling metal handled Bear TD that is an absolute dandy of a bow.  Even with its B-50 string, it shoots as snappy as some of my FF customs, and faster than a few.  I would not hesitate to buy another one...new, old, or anything in between.  It is intellgently designed, smooth, quick, and quiet. If someone offered me a good deal on the bow you are looking at, my response would be "SOLD"!

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 11:45:00 AM »
Overpriced?   Seems like there isn't too many of the larger companies making traditional bows in the US any more: Bear, Martin, Hoyt, maybe some others?    I think if you check the price of the Bear bows they are in line with similar other bows being offered by these other manufacturers.   Why do we always want stuff made in this country, and then complain about the cost?   Would it be better if all recurve production was farmed out overseas so we could save a few dollars instead of employing US workers to build the bows?

The Bear TD latch system has always been expensive to produce.   From when it first came out through today, the Bear TD is almost always the most expensive bow offered by Bear.    The late Paul Schafer thought it was the best design he had ever seen, and if I recall correctly, thought about utilizing it into his bows however the cost prevented him  from doing this.

I have had Grayling and Gainesville Bear bows,  with the inprovements in materials and production methods I'm not sure why some seem to say the new ones are not up to the old standards(other than looks maybe?).   Like Vermonster, I'd like to have one of everything---I never met a bow I didn't like.

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 11:51:00 AM »
I have always desired a Bear TD and if I had the chance at a supreme model at a good price, I would consider it a big bonus! Anyone have any idea if the Supreme series has had a good following? That Bear supreme TD has got to be one of the best looking curves out there....

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline dudester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »
I'm with the go for it crowd,yes it's a lot of money and no it's not a type 1 origianal from the early days but who's to say somday it maybe worth a great deal more than now....get it shoot it and don't look back.

Wish you well and keep us posted
The Dudester

Offline barebow62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »
schafer,brackenbury,blacktail....soooo much better than a supreme...try them first
silvertip 77# @28 58"
widow sab 80# @28 58"
stewart multicam 72# @28 62"
blacktail elite 69# @28 60"
brack quest 72# @28 62"

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2008, 01:35:00 PM »
barebow62, have you shot the Supreme?  I agree to try others, but they won't be "soooo" much better.  8^).

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 01:39:00 PM »
Thanks, George.

Offline pjsnell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2008, 02:42:00 PM »
What's a really good price?  Is the Kodiak better than bows that cost half the price?  If my heart was set on a T/D Kodiak, I would look at the used market before buying a new one.  

I've spent a lot of online time looking at the Firefly takedown longbows, lately.  They're under $600 bucks.  Of course, they have a totally different T/D system...

Offline barebow62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2008, 03:32:00 PM »
george...ive got a supreme ..and the others plus widows etc  so i am well placed to judge...the supreme is merely an "ok" bow,certainly compared to the others ive mentioned. The older bears shoot sweeter for me as well
silvertip 77# @28 58"
widow sab 80# @28 58"
brack quest 72# @28 62"

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2008, 03:39:00 PM »
Gotcha' friend.  Seems you have no shortage of entertainment then either 8^).  Each bow has it's own personality...even those of the same model.  I'm an admitted Bear fan, so may be a tad prejudiced.    ;)   I grew-up just ten miles from Fred's home place.

Offline barebow62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2008, 05:24:00 PM »
i think everyone should be a fan of fred...a real sportsman and lets face it he did as much for archery as anyone,ever. my favourite is a kodiak mag,65# @ 28..my supreme is 70# and not in the same class(for me). ive a hunter t/d 65# which is pretty ordinary as well....as you say george each bow has its personality and i guess some just dont like me!!  lol
silvertip 77# @28 58"
widow sab 80# @28 58"
brack quest 72# @28 62"

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2008, 05:57:00 PM »
I have three old bear TDs and I think they are great. The latch system is a good design. The Bear TD bows are very,very smooth.  You might be money ahead to shop around for an older Bear TD for a lot less money. You would be buying a little history at the same time, and what could be more "traditional" than that?
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2008, 11:28:00 PM »
I think the TD Supreme is drop dead gorgeous.  It may be "middle of the road" performance wise but IMNSHO, all Bear bows fall into this category.

Still, it is gorgeous and I think the Marketing Director for Bear should be fired.  They'd sell more of these if folks knew more about them and saw some nice close up photos of the bow.

Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I saw an ad for a Bear stickbow.
Otto

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2008, 08:12:00 AM »
To say there is a bow that is better then one or the other is a little foolhearty and a crock to say the least....I read the post that said N.Johnson...Brack's .. Widows..borders...are better then a Bear.For the money you could get something better then a bear? What?? How do you figure that?? and if you are certin you know what your talking about or are you just writeing things down someone else told you.Because to make that statement....that one bow is better....How would this work ? I would love to know...does it answer the phone for you when you not home,or maybe it does the dishes...What does it do besides shoot arrows that makes it better?? please keep me posted....bowdoc

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2008, 08:55:00 AM »
bowdoc   Can't wait to meet you in Canada and I won't say anything bad about bear bows b/c I love them also.Maybe if mine did the dishes my wife would let me have more to keep up the house also.Kip

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2008, 09:07:00 AM »
Hey Kip no kidding...we are going to have some fun.I can't hardly wait.This will be the best trip ever...What I really was getting at about the bows...is long bows recurves or whatever type device you use to loss your arrow is only delivering system.One could not be better or worse in the proper hands.See ya soon,bowdoc

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2008, 09:15:00 AM »
Good thing ol' Fred used a "middle of the road performance wise" weapon or there would be no room in the Bass Pro Shops for merchandise! As is, he shot so many trophies that they filled a museum.

I guess critters didn't use steroids back in the day - now there are more drugs in our water supply than at Walgreens.

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2008, 09:19:00 AM »
Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, Lambo etc...= "Top of the line"

Ford, Chevy, GM, Saturn, Buick, Chrysler, etc...= "middle of the road"

Yugo, Tata, Espri etc....= "Bottom of the barrel".

What do you drive?

Clear enough for ya?
Otto

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©