3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Take-Down Supreme...thoughts?  (Read 1219 times)

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Take-Down Supreme...thoughts?
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2008, 09:23:00 AM »
Oh man Tony you nailed it.......Bass pro would have to have paid more then the 3.5 million they already paid for all that middle of the road stuff..bowdoc

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2008, 09:34:00 AM »
Any bow will get your arrow from point A to Point B in similar fashion. The difference is in how the bow fits your hand, your eye, your soul. You won't go wrong with a Bear.

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline barebow62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2008, 09:35:00 AM »
bowdoc...otto sums it up
silvertip 77# @28 58"
widow sab 80# @28 58"
stewart multicam 72# @28 62"
blacktail elite 69# @28 60"
brack quest 72# @28 62"

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2008, 10:35:00 AM »
Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, Lambo etc...= "Top of the line"

Ford, Chevy, GM, Saturn, Buick, Chrysler, etc...= "middle of the road"

Personally I think that Ford and Chevy are top of the line American made!  That stuff mentioned as "top of the line" wouldn't be seen in my driveway!  The point I'm making is that what Bowdoc said hits the nail on the head. In the proper hands any bow could be "top of the line".  I've shot several different custom bows along with some brands that have been mentioned here.  The Bear bows that I have perform every bit as good as any I ever shot.  I like what Widowbender said"...the bow fits your hand, your eye, your soul."  If a ferrari fits you then so be it; personally, I'll take a Ford truck.
It's not what you kill but how you hunt...

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2008, 10:52:00 AM »
This debate has gone on for over 10,000 years and I sure hope it goes on for another 10,000 years.That will keep our tradition alive.But for me,if my arrow is striking the bulls eye that day...The bow I am shooting then is the best bow ever built.But if some feel they need something different I have no problems with that at all...But to say one bow is better.And yes lets please stay with bows cause they are a bit different then cars.If your arrow makes a clean pass through on your critter....what would you want that would be better ??? help me out here guy's........bowdoc

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »
I have read all the posts in this thread. I have to agree with Don(bowdoc) it is not about the bow, it is about the guy behind it. In the right hands a snakey osgae bow will outshoot all the so called great, Bracks, Widows, Schafers and yes even Bears. This is coming from a guy who has shot them all from old lemonwood bows to a DAS. None of the critters I have killed could of cared less what I was shooting!! As my wife would say to all this subjectiveness-- "Whatever blows your hair back" !!  Shoot what ya like and who really cares what anyone else thinks! The origianal question was should the guy buy a bow that he thought was a great deal, well Hell yes, as guys who know me know that I can never pass on a great deal!!  :bigsmyl:   Shawn
Shawn

Offline CG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2008, 11:19:00 AM »
Hey Dave,

I hope these posts convinced you to not buy the Bear.

Would you please forward me the info so that I can buy it?  :bigsmyl:

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2008, 11:27:00 AM »
Thanks fellas for the great info! I am not really concerned with what someone would think because I am shooting a bear. I was more concerned with the craftsmanship of it and if it did shoot nice.

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2008, 11:29:00 AM »
Get a short trial period on the bow when you buy it. If it isn't your cup of tea, you can always return it and just be out shipping. If I didn'y have soooo many loose ends ($$$) to clean up, I'd be standing in line right behind you.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline Abel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2008, 11:53:00 AM »
I look for attention to detail and durability when I make a judgment about a bow. Things like glue lines, longevity of the finish, structural integrity, casting ability.....yes, that's right, efficiency and speed both come into play. I look at the overall product and I make a call. And usually I don't judge just one bow or model, but the overall line of bows that are offered. After seeing what Bear has to offer today and comparing it to what was being made by them in Grayling, I'll pass. After comparing today's Bear bow to today's Morrison or Great Plains, I'll still pass. I don't think I can afford to buy a stack of new Bear bows to find out if all the internet claims about the level of quality are true or not. Just my opinion folks.....I do own a very nice Kodiak Hunter from around '74 or '75 and its as smooth as butter and fine as wine. 44# @ 28" and 60" long. Green riser with a blue stripe through the middle. Not a speed demon, but its quiet and a pleasure to fling 1916 arrows with.
"A bow in the hand is worth two in the bush."

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2008, 12:04:00 PM »
It comes down to, are you a bear guy?...Ive had a bunch of them, but when My draw got longer , they stacked more...but some bear guys just love em...I have seen the new ones , sold bear in the archery store I worked for, ok. Now for me speaking , for the way I shoot , there are much better bows out there for me, Acadian Woods, Whisperstick, Morrison , Trails End bows by Dale Dye , now thats for me...and my bucks...  :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2008, 01:09:00 PM »
Ok Ok once more.....you need what kind of bow to do what???

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2008, 01:58:00 PM »
Ya need to be a good hunter and fair shot, most anybow will do what it has too. To me they are all special, if the grip fir me I can shoot anything, do not get me wrong I like fit and finish but I have killed some pretty critters with some ugly bows. Bear bows are still some of the best so called production bows out there, but today the Morrisons and the Widows and many many others can be called production bows. Actually we should really say the bow is not as important as the arrow. Shawn
Shawn

Offline doeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »
just buy a widow and dont look back!

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2008, 02:37:00 PM »
yes sir the ARROW is the most important part...marco  :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2008, 02:37:00 PM »
Bear make great take downs. I shoot'em all. I have owned 2 different early Gainsville B handles that have had cracked risers. Bowdoc repaired both of them for me and I am still shooting one of them today.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2008, 02:48:00 PM »
I think take downs are the best type of bows for hunting up here, just easier to transport, replace limbs, etc..., I have tried a few other brands of take downs, man can not live on bear alone...

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2008, 03:39:00 PM »
Wow.  Guys, there isn't anything wrong with "middle of the road".  I didn't say "middle of the road" was bad.  I have nothing against Bear bows.  Heck, I own about 10 of em myself.

I guess you all missed the part where I stated the bow was "Drop Dead Gorgeous".  Overall I felt I was complimentary towards the bow.  I never figured some of you guys to take it like I just slapped your grandma.

Sheesh.
Otto

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2008, 04:14:00 PM »
Bows are like family Otto.............

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2008, 06:37:00 PM »
George, I'm not a Bear basher.Take an old bnear and a new one made by Escalade and hold them in your hand. Look at the wood and finish. Tell me they're the same.(nut)
Rich Potter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©