3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Couple of Dumb "going on a hunt"??'  (Read 356 times)

Offline bowless

• Trad Bowhunter
Couple of Dumb "going on a hunt"??'
« on: April 18, 2008, 04:39:00 AM »
I've never really travelled to go on a hunt in another state but hope to this year.  The question is let's say you're at a hotel for a week and first day you get a deer, but have more tags, what do you do?  Or you travel south in the winter on a hog hunt, how do you store and transport your hog?  I know it sounds dumb but I got to thinking(I know, dangerous) about the little details after thinking about travelling somewhere.  I know many of you do this every season, how do you handle those little details?
Isaiah 53:5  and with his stripes we are healed.

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Couple of Dumb "going on a hunt"??'
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 05:15:00 AM »
Bowless,

Good questions. They are not dumb.

It's been my experience that anywhere there is a motel, there is also a butcher shop/game processor within an hour drive of your motel (60-70 miles).

Wether or not you want the butcher to process your game, they will hang it for you for a small fee in the cooler until you are ready to go home.

The best way to compactly travel with your game is to quarter or 8th (Sometimes you will need to break an elk sized critter down further then quarters to get it to fit in an ice chest) place quarters or pieces of game into an ice chest and put a couple pounds of dry ice in the cooler with your game. If the dry ice melts by the time you get home, just stop at a grocery store along the way and get more dry Ice.

It kind of depends on the price of butchering wether or not I'll have th butcher proccess my meat.

For instance, where I hunt in east Texas, there is a top notch butcher there that is very reasonably priced. If I take a hog, he can have it fully butchered and froze within 24 hours. I still put dry ice with proccessed fair to keep packages froze.

Note: Make sure the butcher gives you back your meat. there are a lot of butchers that weigh you meat and give you processed meat of somebody elses critter. Not very many do this, but becarfull of it none-the-less.

If you are flying, you can put the meat in coolers with dry ice and next day air it home or pay the extra baggage fee and check the cooler.

I feel this is an EXELLENT question. Not very many people figure this cost in when budgeting for a hunt. An elk sized animal, butchered packed and shipped will cost $600-$800. Cut that figure in half with deer/pig sized animals, and double that figure for buffalo/moose sized game.

However, if you want to butcher the animal your self, the hanging fee and dry ice fee is well under $100 bones.

Hopefully some of this will help.

Good luck,

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 08:19:00 AM »
Very good question!Definately NOT a dumb one....
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline joe c.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 08:44:00 AM »
Good question! I dont remember where I heard it but you cant bring an out of state deer back into michigan without it being proccessed first.
So it's probally best to locate A butcher before you go,Its A good problem to have.

Offline rg176bnc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 08:48:00 AM »
We cut our hogs up and placed them in plastic bags, wrapped them in blankets w/ some dry ice.  It was 80 degrees during the day.  When we got home they were hard as a rock.

Offline turkey65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 09:07:00 AM »
When I hunted Wyoming years back, I towed a small utility trailer behind my Bronco 2 I made a box the width of the trailer and about 30 in wide out of 5/8 plywood then I lined the box with one in styrafoam including top( which was hinged and the bottom also dry ice can be purchased in any grocery store out there. We quartered the meat mostly antelope and placed a block of dry ice in center and pack the meat around it ducktaped around the lid to seal it and when we got home the meat was frozen solid. The first time we went we brought back the heads to be mounted and the taxidermist had to wait two days for the heads to thaw before he could skin them out. Never lost any meat.

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »
If you are flying I don't think that you are allowed to use dry ice.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »
You can use Dry Ice but the container can't be sealed gases must be able to escape. Check with Your airline first.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »
We did exactly what turkey65 did. Plywood "coffin" box lined with 1" dow board.
Saved empty milk gallon jugs, filled and froze them. Quarter up killed animal surround with jugs. Some of the jugs were still frozen after a week out west in September.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline bowless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »
Wow, this is some great feedback.  I hope others like me who haven't really "travelled" are benefiting as much as I am.
Can always count on tradgangers!

Thanks,
Isaiah 53:5  and with his stripes we are healed.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©