3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wanna go elk huntin'? 2010 UPDATE. More photos Pg. 5  (Read 2134 times)

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
Wanna go elk huntin'? 2010 UPDATE. More photos Pg. 5
« on: April 18, 2008, 07:12:00 AM »
Hi all,

So you want to go elk hunting, eh? Is your mind filled with questions on who, what, when, where, and why?

I’ve heard it said, “What you can teach yourself in ten years, can be learned in a day.” I fully agree with this statement. All of the advice in the following is based on a Do-it-yourself  (DIY) public land hunt.

I do not claim to be a good elk, muledeer, white-tail, (etc.) hunter. Good Lord above knows I’ve blown more chances at ‘good’ critters then any one person deserves. I have however been around the block a time or two when it comes to Western hunting, and I decided to put time into this thread in hopes of making your hunt easier.

I will have several parts to this thread I would like to cover.

Part ONE, “Budget, and Preparation”

Quote by John Abraham of Madubula Safari’s in South Africa. “Remember the ‘Pee’s” (note: in order to maintain tactfulness in this thread, I’m going to substitute a * for an ‘I’ and # for an ‘S’. Please note I’m not trying to offend anybody, but this following quote is what you need to live by when hunting out west.)

Quote: “P*## Poor Planning Promotes P*## Poor Performance.”

A). The first question that usually pops into mind when planning a hunt is “How much is this going to cost?”

I’m not going to beat around the bush. It’s going to be fairly expensive, and there are a lot of variables that are going to influence this number.

First off, decide what your goals are. Do you want a bull? Are you happy with a cow or a spike? I’ve found that when most people think of the word elk, “Colorado” is the next word that pops into said persons mind. I’m here to tell you, there is far better places to hunt elk then in Colorado.

Colorado is a wonderful elk hunting destination. Yes it is true that the elk numbers are generous, the forest and wilderness are abundant, the scenery is beyond beautiful and so on. But with it comes extreamly hard hunting terrain, a high amount of un-marked private property, not very good access, and the list could go on. Not to mention 90% of the lower 48 that had the same “elk” thought as you. But if you want a chance at a branch antlered bull, it’s a great option. I strongly suggest research in Units, 22, 70, 71, 21, 30,. I haven’t hunted much of the rest of the state, but there are quite a few other options as well. The price of a Non-Resident elk tag for open units is a hair over $500. However, a cow tag can be had for quite a bit cheaper.

Utah. Utah is very underated as far as a first time elk hunting destination. 75% of the state is limited entry for elk. It is tuff to get a branch antlered bull tag in Utah. But,….. In most of those limited entry units, there is unlimited either sex archery tags. Here’s the kicker. The bull can only be a spike. With these limited entry units comes vast elk numbers, not very many hunters, and most of Utah national forests’ have very good access. Meaning,.. Yes you can get a pull-behind camper to a lot of really good hunting. Do some research, but the Boulder mountains are an excelent starting point. Just look up all of the “spike only” units and go from there. A big difference between Utah and Colorado is in Colorado, It’s the hunters responsablility to know where the private land is. In Utah, it’s the land owners responsablity to post his boundry if he doesn’t want hunters. The exception to the rule is “a cultivated property” meaning if the land is cultivated in any way, it’s automatically posted. Everywere I’ve been in Utah, the land is marked really well. One last thing, your chance of getting a shot at a cow or a spike in Utah is 100 fold better then getting a shot at an elk in Colorado. A non-resident archery licence for Utah is $388.

Search Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Oregon. All of these areas hold elk numbers too, but I haven’t hunted either one of these states enough to tell you anything about them. I do know, I don’t here of very many non-residents tagging out in these states on a DYI public land hunt.

In most cases, you can get other optional tags. Just do proper research by searching the desired states DOW web site.

Next is Gas. I don’t recommend flying for this type of hunting. Always plan on success. If you fly, the cost of getting your meat home can far outweigh the price of gas. Say you live 2000 miles away from Utah. Based on 15 miles per gallon at $3.50 a gallon the fuel bill is going to be $940 for a round point A to point B trip. Plan on another $300 for fuel just for hunting purposes. The fuel bill is going to be about $1500. Take a buddy or two and split the fuel bill. Offer to take your truck and only buy gas once for every two times your buddy does for wear and tear. Plus taking a buddy can be really beneficial when you have a dead elk to contend with.

I’m a fat boy, and when I travel, I can manage to keep the food bill to $20 dollars a day per pearson for food. And that’s if you are eating well. So for a  7 day hunt, plan on $150 per person.

Also budget a two night stay in a motel when traveling. Or find somewhere to pitch a tent along your travels. At $40 to $60 a night, I personally like to budget $150 for motel rooms.  

Gear. Don’t go crazy thinking you need a lot of gear. You don’t. I use the same gear hog hunting in East Texas as I do elk hunting. However, footwear is vital. The biggest thing is a good quality mixed blend or wool sock. Cotton socks in the mountains are only going to lead to blisters. I have used $29.99 wall-mart special hiking boots with good success as long as I’ve had good fitting wool-like socks. However I do recommend the Danner Pronghorn 400 gram thinsulate boots. Very comfortable with great support. One thing I do suggest is a pack frame. Be it an internal frame backpack or a simple back frame although people every year throw a quarter over their sholders and go

Once again, Don’t go crazy with buying ‘stuff’ you think you might need. I have killed elk with my bow in Blue jeans. You don’t need the top-of-the line camo, raingear ect. I would invest in upper body camo for just a little more room for error with movement, In other words, use what you have if that’s all you can afford. People just like you are succeassfull in harvesting elk every year on a very low budget. Movement and how you hunt is the key, but we’ll get into that later.

Try to have at least $300 ‘oops’ money. This is used for cooler hanging fee’s, flat tires, dry ice to put in your coolers, an extra night in a motel room, and so on.

So, based on two guy’s traveling 2000 miles to go elk hunting we have

Tag-$500
Fuel-$750
Food- $150
Motel-$150
‘oops’-$300

$1850 for two guys to make that dream come true. Keep in mind, this can be done for cheaper, and you’ll notice the more trips you make, the better you learn the ropes of ‘elk hunting budget.’

Like I said, you are on your own as far as gear is concerned, but you don’t need to spend a load of money on gear. Once again, if a $20 dollar pair of binoculars is all you can afford, don’t let that stop you from thinking that you can’t hunt elk because you only have a cheap pair of bino’s.

Packing list.

Cloths.
   3 pairs of pants
   3 short sleeved shirts-prferably camo with your hunting cloths
   3 long sleeved shirts
   10 pairs of broke in underwear
   10 pairs of broke in good wool or blend socks. Leave the cotton sock at home.
   2 pairs of travel clothing.
   Boots (if you can afford a spare set, you’ll want them)
   1 jacket
   1 coat
   1 long john bottoms just incase it snows. Don’t worry about a top, layer your shirts jacket and coat for upperbody.
    Cotton gloves.
   Rain gear. I still don’t have expensive rain gear. I use a $2 plastic poncho
Hunting pack.
   Flashlight and battaries
   Small first aid kit

5 cheeze cloth game bags
   2 knives and sharpener
   Water, water, water,
   Flagging tape for marking blood trails.
   Topo map and/or Gps and compass (I don’t need to say it but I’m going to. You need intimate knowledge of that topo map as well)
   Toilet paper
   Camera (you better share how your hunt went with us Tradgang personel)
   Matches/firestarter
   Water, water, water (I can’t stress proper hydration enough)
   Pain killer of some sort (Tylonol, Asprin)
   Leatherman type handy tool.
   Small but strong cord or rope.
   1 $2 rain poncho
   1 cow elk call (I’m going to elaborate on this a lot more, but leave the bugle at home, preferably in your trash can.)

Gear,
   Binos
   Bow
   Arrows
   Optics
   Hunting pack

Camping
   A dry shelter. I use a cheap tent then put cheap tarps over the cheap tent to insure water proofing.
   Some form or method of cooking
   Lantern   
   0 degree rated sleeping bag
   Camp chairs
   Hatchet, ax, or machetty
   Trash bags
   Food
   Matches or lighter
   Rope for use with Bear proofing your camp
   2 large coolers. (store your food in them and if you get a animal empty food and place in meat)

Other

Call the division of wildlife and ask to speak with the game biologist for the area you want to hunt. He or they will point you in the direction of animals.

Naturally the better your gear, the more time you have, and so on will make thinks ‘better’ per say. But you don’t have to have ‘better’ to have a wonderfull hunt.

Here’s the starter. Lot’s more to come. This is just “part one.”

Feel free to add, but keep in mind to try and keep it simple.

Part Two shortly….

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wanna go elk huntin'? 2010 UPDATE. More photos Pg. 5
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 08:18:00 AM »
this is neat............keep it coming
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 08:27:00 AM »
That is one of the best "Elk Primers" I've seen - great job!  Your budget is very generous, and many guys could cut that down significantly because they don't live 2000 miles away.  I'm in the midwest, and it is more like 1,200 to lots of elk hunting.  

I would also point out (just to make the idea more saleable to the wife  ;)  ) that food is an expense you would have even if you stayed home.

I can see this is going to be a great thread.  For you guys who haven't done it before but have always dreamed about it, PAY ATTENTION!   :readit:   Do whatever you can to make your dreams happen now - don't wait until you're too old and then wonder where the years went.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Aram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 08:48:00 AM »
I have friends in Idaho abutting lots of public land so... You got my undivided attention!

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 08:50:00 AM »
Great post...thanks...Randy
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »
I hunt Idaho on a DIY every year.  Will be back this year.  Fuel cost is gettin' to be the biggest factor. I hunt for the full Month, camp in a nice tent and enjoy being in the Mountains away from people. Physical condition dosen't seem to be a big factor, the country I hunt is steep!! Some folks say you have to train the whole summer, run 20 miles a day...if your in good shape, your be OK. Just don't try climbin' 10,000 foot peaks with 40 pounds on your back! Regurdless of physical condition, ( if you live at 1200) and at 8,000+ it takes a WEEK to get used the thin air. I will never pay an Outfitter $5000 for 7 day hunt, when I can hunt 30 days for 1500!!! And have as good a hunt!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 09:56:00 AM »
You've got it covered...Since I now own all of the gear I need for both base and bivy hunts my expenses are under $1000 for fuel (split 3 ways, a tag, and travel money).

I buy MREs from this place:  http://www.readymeal.com/  and field strip them. I can carry 3 days worth of food, my water bladder, a water purifier, a sleeping pad,my solo tent, bag, and hunting stuff keeping it under 45 pounds. I am usually between 2 and 4 miles off the road to put some distance between me and the other guys who might not be as driven as me. When I run out of food I'm back to the base camp to replentish my supplies. I break out the topo and decide where to next. My base camp is a roomy dome tent that has a cot and a solar shower near it. I sometimes have a little real food in a cooler to break up the MREs.

Keep the thread coming. I love to see how everyone else does it to!
Mike Davenport

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 10:33:00 AM »
Good stuff, good stuff, good stuff.  Everyone has something they think is #1.... fitness, boots, this piece of gear or that.  It is all important and at the same time, none of it is because you are out hunting ELK!  
Here's my tip.  Lightweight is good, durability trumps lightness however, and dual roll gear beats that.  Leatherman type tools cover several pieces of gear for example.
Good luck.
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 03:26:00 PM »
I appreciate the info.  Have always wanted to try elk hunting.  Got a heavier set of limbs for my Black Widow with elk in mind!!!

Online wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 05:13:00 PM »
I appreciate the info.  I'm going on my first elk hunt this year in Idaho.  I'm flying out though because I have a good friend that lives up there.  He's doing the scouting and has access to private land as well.  One tip would recommend for anyone in my shoes is to ship your gear to a buddy ahead of time.  This way there is zero chance of the airline loosing your luggage and ruining or delaying your trip.

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 06:16:00 PM »
Thanks for doing this. I will be watching closely.

Bill
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 07:20:00 PM »
Cool!
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 08:07:00 PM »
Very nice indeed, I am doing my first hunt this year.  Although it will be a guided hunt with T. Mike Murphy of TBARM Outfitters, this information is invaluable.

Appreciate you taking the time and thoughtfulness to do so!
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 09:45:00 PM »
Great thread,I have done all my elk hunts DIY.It's always enjoyable if you go with the right people.Always pick hunting partners that never get down,as those with anything but can cause a miserable trip. Thanks,  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 09:46:00 PM »
All wonderful comments. Thanks for your kind interest.

Here's part TWO,

Todd

-----------------------------------

Part TWO “Physical and Mental Preparation.”

So,… Here it is…..The first of June…… You just got online and made the commitment by buying a tag. Congratulations,… You are going elk hunting.

This is the stage where you’ll want to get on Tradgang and ask if your equipment is sufficient, or what kind of broad heads, or is 50 pounds enough, yada…. Yada…. Yada…

With these questions, you usually get 20 answers, and 19 of them are different. I killed my first Trad elk with a PSE Impala, 54# @ my 30” draw, a 31” 2117 with a 125 grain Magnus two blade. Total Arrow weight was around 550 grains. Although I didn’t get a pass through, I did get full chest cavity penetration.

I’m going to keep this simple. USE WHAT YOU HAVE. Limit yourself to 10 yards if you have to, just use what you have.

My recommendations are,…….#1 priority with your set up needs to be perfect arrow flight. PERIOD. #2 Should be broad head sharpness. I don’t want to get into a debate whether your head needs to be able to shave your face or ‘file’ sharp. Just get the darned thing sharp. That’s pretty much my set-up advice. However, I am going to say that Dr. Ashby has me convinced about FOC and such. I’m not going to sit here and tell you you need his recommendations to kill an elk. You don’t. I would recommend that if you are shooting  around 50# and below to use a two blade head,  I’ll get into this more later, but don’t worry about blood trails when elk hunting. Chances are you won’t get much of one anyhow. If you do, great, but don’t count on it.

Some more Pre-(non-resident) season advice….

Physical conditioning.

Again, I’m not going to blow smoke. The better shape you are in, the more you are going to enjoy the ‘slow’ times of the hunt. It’s easy to get discouraged when you have covered many a mile and haven’t had much luck. It’s been my experience the better shape I am in, the less likely I will give up when things are slow. That being said, you don’t need to be physically fit to have a great hunt.

My father has ridden several too many Broncs back in his day, and his knees are horrible. He is over weight and has asthma. Somehow, he manages to be successful on probably 70% of his bow hunts. He might spend 8 hours covering 1 mile of terrain, but he does harvest elk. Pace yourself. Take two steps if you have to and sit down for a while. Keep it real quite and slow.

It’s been said above, but don’t let being out of shape stop you from living your dream. You can do this.

I would recommend you spend the several months prior to your hunt getting in the best shape you can get into.

Some exercise tips are…. When shooting, take one arrow. Shoot that arrow, walk down to the target and retrieve. Repeat this process for 30 to 40 minutes. By the end of that time, I’m willing to bet you have walked close to a mile. If you can’t make 30 minutes, start off with 15. At the end of that fifteen, you will have walked ½ of a mile.

Even if you are a flatlander, walking helps. If you are in a little better physical condition, you bet running and jogging helps. Biking is wonderful. Swimming. So on and so forth.

I will say you don’t need to hit the weights to enjoy your hunt. Concentrate on cardio as that is were you will be tested the most.

I have guided folks who have had to take a nitro pill before pulling a 100 yard hill, and we had to sit at the top of that hill for an hour while he caught his breath. He had determination and that’s all you really need. Get your mental game in check, and you will be more physically fit, I guarantee it. (For the record, I strongly advised that gentleman not go with me to retrieve his animal. His reply was “If I die walking up to an animal I just harvested….Well……I can’t think of a better way to go.” I couldn’t talk him out of it after a lot of pleading.

Let’s move on to shooting.

I will stress that you put as many hours behind that flippin’ stick as you can muster. You don’t need to be able to Robin-hood an arrow once a day. If you can great, but what you do need to be able to do is hit a paper plate with your first arrow every time while you’re shooting muscles are stone cold.

Meaning. If you just strung your bow, knocked an arrow and shot at that paper plate at 20 yards and missed, your effective range is not yet 20 yards. That first arrow of the day is the only one that matters when your elk hunting. I’m not going to preach my ethics to you, but I personally limit myself to 35 yards for elk.

I feel I should elaborate on ‘mental’ conditioning a little further. It’s important when being in elk country that you never loose your ability to think. I have lost it before. I’ll give you an example of my 2006 elk hunt.

I was hunting this area in Western Colorado that I was always seeing a load of elk in. The elk were about a mile or a mile and a half, up a pretty steep bench. I was chasing a really (I dare say big) nice bull and was playing cat and mouse with him for several days. I came close a few times, just couldn’t ever make that “it’s golden” light go off in my head. Anyhow…..In order to get to where the elk were, I had to cross a pretty good sage-brush flat before I reached the bottom of a bench. On the last day I had to hunt I was walking through this sage-brush flat, (not 300 yards from the truck) and off to my right I spot a nice 6 point shed standing up against some tall sage. I thought “Cool! Don’t know how I missed that.” So I just go walking over to this shed. I got about 20 yards away and I was just beginning to tell myself “That shed is awful brown for this time of year.” when that ‘shed’ snapped to attention. And I’ll be darned if it didn’t have an identical twin. Furthermore….I was flabbergasted to say the least, that those two shed antlers were firmly attached to a living breathing bull.

Immediate, instant BULL FEVER struck with the fury of an angry lightning bolt. This was crunch time.

I dropped to my knees. I had the shakes so bad it was difficult to grab an arrow out of my side mount quiver. I fumbled around, finally got an arrow knocked, poked an eye ball above the sage to confirm the bull was still there, fumbled in my pocket, got my diaphragm in my mouth finally, told my self “Todd…..This is it.” Looked at the bull, gave a smooth chirp, and as the bull stood so did I coming to full draw……

The arrow sailed harmlessly 6 inches above the bulls back.

Moral of the story…….first, you can never figure elk. This was the same bull I had been playing games with. I don’t know why he decided that sagebrush flat was a good place to go take a nap in, but he did. I like to think he got sick of 20 or so nagging women and just wanted some solitude, or perhaps another bull whipped him and he need to go lick his wounds. I don’t know. What I do know is I was totally unprepared mentally for the events that unfolded.

Second…..When I had that little talk with myself it needed to sound something like this…. “Todd……This is it….Make sure and pick a spot and follow through with your shot.” Oh well. It might be just me, but if I ever stop getting that BULL FEVER, I’m going to quit hunting. Lesson learned though.

There are a lot of things you need to discuss with yourself pre-season. Have these talks with yourself and play out scenarios so you will be better prepared.

“What if a bear attacks?” “What if I get lost?” Run the “What if’s through your mind.”

Just one more mental discussion, Elk are huge and can be very deceiving as far as how far away they are. An elk that is 40 yards away may look like he’s in your lap. Be prepared for that.

The last thing for part two is,…….

Fear. You will experience fear at some point during your hunt. Bigfoot might be out there, and if he attacks you, you will be the first person in the history of man kind. Bears can get ‘cheeky’, just remember 99.95% of the time they won’t. (I do suggest you pack a little can of bear spray.) Also, fear of getting lost, etc. What ever your fear is, DON’T LOOSE YOUR ABILITY TO THINK. I use my fear to drive me. Once again ask yourself the “What ifs” and go from there. Make sure you aren’t the only people who know where you are going. Make sure somebody that will miss you also knows. Don’t be afraid to call the local Sherriff’s dispatch and say “My name is so and so, I will be hunting in the area of so and so, if my wife reports me missing, look for me here.

Once again, feel free to add, just keep it simple.

Thanks,

Part THREE soon,

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

Offline 4-fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 11:33:00 PM »
TODD
I'M GOING ON MY FIRST ELK HUNT WITH A BOW IN SEPTEMBER.I'M LEARNING ALOT HERE.THANKS ALOT.JAMES
"Pick a spot"

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 12:23:00 AM »
I'm sure hope I can help.

Here's the first section of part Three.

This is going to be a long one.

---------------------
Part THREE “Tactics”

You’ve made the 2000 mile drive, pitched camp, and woke up to a beautiful opening morning. Make sure and pinch yourself. At this point, you are living your dream.

Where to start…………

Well, last July while studying your Topo map, you noticed a good looking draw that has a creek named ‘Beaver creek’ running from north to south. You wonder about the area, and since you have researched elk enough to know that they need to drink twice a day, you call the game biologist for the area and ask him about the ‘Beaver creek’ area.

He tells you, “Heck yes. I know there are some elk in ‘Beaver Creek.’ That would be an excellent place to start.” So,…you scout out the county road or trail close by and top a high point in the road and immediately your breath is taken away by what you see.

The next question is “How do I go about hunting it?” The first thing you need to notice is which way the wind is blowing. It’s been said, “you can fool their eyes and you can fool their ears but you won’t fool their nose.” Oh how true.

The wind thermals will switch from mornings and evenings. I’ve noticed about (depending on how hot it is) 10:00 am the wind will switch from blowing down hill to blowing up hill due to the thermals getting warm, and as soon as the thermals start to cool again (late afternoon) they will switch again and blow down hill. There are a lot of exceptions to this rule, but as a general “rule of thumb” it’s a good starting point.

It’s first light and the wind is blowing in your face. “How do I hunt it?” is once again the question in mind.

My favorite form of elk hunting is still hunting. Find an area that looks good, has a water source close by, and has elk country written all over it. When still hunting, you don’t know if animals are in the area for sure. You haven’t seen any yet, but does that mean they aren’t there?” My favorite style of still hunting is slowly working the country I think elk might be in. I will walk 10 yards and stop and glass the brush/trees/vegetation in front of me. I have done this routine many times with great success. Slowly walk 10 more yards, stop and glass. You will be surprised at how close you can slip to a heard of elk provided the wind is in your face and you have been careful not to make any human noise (Zippers, loud fabric brushing against a twig, etc.) One of those times you stop to glass, your optics will be filled with the unmistakable color of “Elk.”  Elk by nature are extremely noisy. Breaking sticks and such are ‘natural sounds’ to them. Like I said before, try your hardest to remove the human sounds.

“How do I know where the elk are going to be?” The short answer is, you won’t. That’s why the 10 yards, glass, 10 yards, glass method. Anywhere there is a tree, there might be an elk. You can’t figure them at all.

But throughout the years, I’ve noticed they have habits that are pretty much one in the same. Look for taller stands of shady trees where they might go to bed. I’ve also noticed they really like a ‘mixture’ if you will of pines, aspen, and oak brush.

So let’s pretend this picture is “Beaver creek”. Note: I borrowed these pictures from the internet. Pretend the draw off to the left of the picture is where the actual creek is. If I was to hunt this area, and had the wind in my face, the yellow is the path I would set. Remember that later in the day the wind will shift so I like to hunt in big circles. I will walk until the wind shifts then circle around and walk back to the truck with the wind in my face most of the time. The pink areas are where I would personally check for them bedding. If they are up moving around, you never know where you will run into them.

Another form of hunting I really like, is sitting on a “wallow” during the hottest part of the day. Finding these take work. Often time they are no more then a mountain spring the elk will dig out. Keep in mind that cows use the wallow just as much as bulls do. It’s been my observation that I have personally found more wallows in the pines/dark timber. There is absolutely no science to back this up, but it’s were I look the hardest for them.

Afternoon hunts are usually spot and stalk for me. I will find another area with excellent feed clearings and try to find them moving from bedding areas to feeding areas.

This next pic is prime late afternoon feeding area. I will spot elk and try to slip in the red zone. Once again, keep the wind in your favor. You can get aggressive wile stalking elk. Don’t be afraid to make a little noise. If you act like a predator (sneaky), you’ll get their attention quick. If you act like a moo cow (noisy) on the move, they won’t hardly look up. Just stay in the cover. Be careful not to make much human noise once again, and even though you are being aggressive, don’t get in a hurry.

So my general elk hunting day consist of,

Morning-still hunting
Day-sitting wallows or more still hunting
Evening-spot and stalk.

If I spot elk in the morning, I’ll put them to bed before I try to stalk.

A herd of elk will most of the time post guards. They will take turns. I’ve noticed there is usually one guard for every 7 or so elk bedded. Say you have a herd of 20 elk, there is probably going to be 2 or 3 guard elk up and about. I have seen herds of 2 or 3 that all bed down. These guard elk are the ones I’m looking for when still hunting or spotting and stalking.

Once you get within 75-50 yards of the herd, slow down. I’m talking, it should take you almost an hour to close that last 30 yards. Stay low. Hands and knees or belly crawl. Keep movement so slow you wonder if you are actually moving or not. Lie on your belly and literally inch your way closer. One inch at a time. Don’t ever think you have to hurry. Sure if you don’t, you might blow the stalk. But if you do, I guarantee you WILL blow the stalk.

Often times I’ll wait the herd out and wait for them to start feeding out of there bedding area if I don’t think I can get close. Elk hunting is definitely a game of chess. Don’t ever play checkers.

This is only the first part of many tactics. This is going to be a long section. I’m going to say again that none of the above is fool proof. If somebody tells me they have “figured out elk”, I will stand flat footed and call them a “bald faced liar.” Please keep that in mind.

Once again, none of this is scientifically proven to work. This is just what I do and has seemed to work for me.

Plenty more "tactics" to come.

Todd

Offline J from Denmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2008, 02:27:00 AM »
Great thread Todd !

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2008, 10:53:00 AM »
I was sittin' in camp one night around the fire and an "old timer" walked in, it was dark and he asked if could enter the camp.. smelled the coffee a mile down the valley, he said..His nex comment was "kill a Elk today?" I had not.. I have passed on more than one, not what I wanted.. he said, son, shoot any (mature) elk you have a shoot at..even if it's a Cow...if you do your be more sucessful than 80% of the people Elk huntin'.  A couple of good things to remember...NEVER EVER WEAR YOUR HUNTIN' CLOTHS INTO (OR GET DRESSED) THE CAMP AREA.  NEXT, (good boots, Danners, ect) BOOTS THAT FIT AND ARE WELL BROKEN IN. WOOL SOCKS WITH LINER SOCKS.. THE VERY BEST PAIR OF BINOCULARS YOU CAN AFFORD. You can get by with a good spottin' scope, but now with a pair of good bino. And most of enjoy your hunt.  When you start feelin' bad, depressed take a break, rest or fish some.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
Hey, I almost forgot...if you read only one book it should be  "ELK HUNTING SECERTS" from RMEF..small paper back with about 300 tips.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©