3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wanna go elk huntin'? 2010 UPDATE. More photos Pg. 5  (Read 2135 times)

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wanna go elk huntin'? 2010 UPDATE. More photos Pg. 5
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2008, 08:12:00 PM »
Todd,
Excellent advice, keep it coming.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2008, 11:41:00 PM »
I decided that calling needs a section of it's own.

Still more to come, and thanks for reading.

Feel free to post questions you might have if anything I type confuses you.

Take care,

Todd

==============================
Section 4 “More Tactics”

Calling

This can be a touchy subject. Even though it’s long, I’m not going to get into this as much as I first wanted, but I will cover what works for me.

First off…..Keep in mind that even though every show you have ever seen where people were ‘bugling’ elk in, it’s not the best calling practice for a beginner or expert for that matter.

Let’s say you’ve watched all the tapes, listened to all the instruction, practiced enough to sound like a world class caller, it’s not going to do you any good unless you know how to apply that sound in the woods.

Look at it this way. When you bugle, what you are pretty much screaming at the top of your lungs to every other elk in the area is “WHO WANT’S TO FIGHT ME!!!!!” This can be a good locator, but a lot of elk are just like humans. A lot ‘talk the talk’, but not very many ‘walk the walk.’ (Note: Keep in mind that that bugle has to be perfect for you to get an answer.)

If you do get an answer, you are getting one of two responses. The first will be a young bull full of vinegar that is screaming back, “I WAS HERE FIRST!!! GO AWAY!!!” The second will be, (I DON’T WANT TO FIGHT YOU, BUT IF YOU TRY TO TAKE MY COWS YOU BETTER BE READY TO ‘WALK THE WALK’!!!!!!!” If you bugle, you will have pretty much put every bull in the area on the defense. Does it work? Yes. Once again, if you know how to work a ‘defensive’ bull. That’s something that has to be self taught. I can’t tell you how to do that. For what it’s worth, I personally try my hardest to not bugle, period.

Here is why……..

A well executed cow call will trigger a bugle just as well, but there are some huge differences. When you throw a cow call, what you are pretty much screaming at the top of your lungs to every other elk in the area is, “HEY BOYS,,,….WHO WANT’S TO BREED ME!!!!!” It’s possible that every bull in ear shot is going to let you know there answer. A raghorn or spike (satellite bull) might just come running without making a sound. The reason he is coming in silent is because he doesn’t want any other bulls in the area to know he’s fixin’ to get lucky. If you just cow called, hold really still and stay concealed and listen. I repeat, LISTEN. If you just heard a stick/branch break in the bottom of the canyon, you very well might have an elk coming. A herd bull will likely yell (YOU KNOW I DO, BABY!!! COME OVER HERE.) The reason he won’t come to you is likely because he has 10 birds in the hand already and doesn’t want to let them go to catch one bird in the bush.

The elk you are targeting when you cow call is the next biggest bull out there. This is the one that the herd bull has already whipped. This bull will have 2 or 3 cows he’s managed to gather. He will be screaming (I’LL BE THERE IN A MINUTE!!!! ALL YOU OTHER PUNKS BETTER BACK AWAY!!!!) Don’t be afraid to chirp back to him, (OK!!!!!I’LL MEET YOU HALFWAY!!!! I’M SO READY TO BE BREAD IT’S NOT EVEN FUNNY!!!!!) When you are targeting this bull, be sure to set up where he has to get in close before he circles down wind. He will come in and wonder where you are, but if he can’t see you he will try to wind you. If the elk are already down wind from you, back off and hit it again in the morning or that afternoon. Make sure you get upwind of the elk before making a stand.

Think about it. When and if you were/are chasing women, would rather fight a guy for one, or just find a single one with a whole lot less drama. Of course once you find one you darned sure will fight to keep her, correct?

If you want that heard bull, and feel like you must bugle, you have to get close to him. This is the only time I’ll bugle. You have to be with in 50 yards of him and his herd. Preferably closer. If you are further then that, he’s going to gather his cows and move to the furthest peak above timberline. It’s easier to herd his cows and keep them, then fight a bull and have a chance at loosing them. Of course, he’ll sure sound pretty as he’s going away though. OK,…. Say you are within 45 yards of the bull and his cows. This is where you want to throw that perfectly executed bugle.(You will know in short order if it was perfect or not due to how fast the herd is running away.)  It’s going to be more then he can stand and he’ll be madder then a one legged man in a butt kickin’ contest, and will be on you like a pit-bull on a ham-bone. But if you just cow call, why not walk right in there and shoot him? Use your stalking skills, and keep it mellow and casual.

I feel I need to stress here that you need to use your calls sparingly. Revert back to your women chasing days. If there is a girl that is telling you “Take me oh take me…………!!!!!.....Please, please, please,!!!!! I’ll be such a good girl…..C’mon…!!!!!! Don’t you see!!!!!! I’ll love you forever!!!! Oh, Deer oh baby take me!!!!! I need you!!!! I want you!!!!!!.........TAKE ME, FOR THE LOVE OF GOODNESS!!!!!!TAKE ME!!!!!!”  She’s probably going to scare you off, correct? Now if some woman comes up to you and say’s “Wanna grab a cup of coffee?” What would your response be?

Now,… I hate to be this way, but I’m going to. If there is one thing you get from this thread, hear this……

If you don’t sound perfect with your calling, take all the above advise, crumple it up and throw it away. What you will do is shut down the rut during day light hours. This is the only thing I can guarantee in this thread, and I do 100% guarantee it. You will not only ruin it for you, but for every other hunter in the area that might know exactly how to call but now it’s not an option because you didn’t know what you were doing.

That being said, there is only one way you are going to learn, and that’s by doing it.

If you sound good, but don’t quite yet know how to apply those sounds, you might make the elk call shy, but you won’t shut the rut down during day light hours at least.

I really like the ‘Primos hyper lip single reed cow call’ it’s an open reed call. The first thing I do to it is rip that ugly black thing off the end of it. To get a cow sound, simply make a fist, place the call in the circle that your pointer finger and your thumb makes, place the call in your mouth. Touch your thumb knuckle to your chin. At this point blow into the call and rotate the call until your pointer finger knuckle touches your nose.

When you start, your upper lip should be at the very edge outside edge of the reed. When you finish, your upper lip should be touching the rubber band about halfway down the reed. The call shouldn’t move from your bottom lip. Your bottom lip is just the axis for rotation.

You will get a simple “eeeEEEWWW”.

Find a source where you can hear cow talk, and just learn how to imitate them.

If my above advice offends you I’m sorry. If you think I’m wrong, I’m sorry. This is just what I have used personally and have found what works best for me.

Good luck,

More to come yet……

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2008, 04:06:00 AM »
Good stuff Todd!

I have been an elk hunter for coming up  23 years; and I did not get an elk last year.

There were reasons that had to do with hunting; shooting; etc; but some reasons had nothing to do with hunting; but family issues. That and me doing stupid stuff.

I can add a few things here; one is to repeat the need to have water; and the suggestion of having a water purifier on you when hunting is about the best idea. Force yourself to drink water; because your going to be sweating; and your going to be dehydrating yourself; and that can lead to sore muscles and thick blood; and death and stuff.

I think one thing that people do "wrong" is that they do not 'carpe diem'; they do not seize the moment.

Elk; as stated; can not be totally figured out.
So; one of the best rules to follow is to hunt where there are elk. If your in elk country it might be enough to look back at a great hunt; even though you might not have gotten a shot.
 Then again maybe you want to kill an elk...

I see people in their first few days of a hunt pushing themselves; and not ~hunting~ hard; and not paying 100 percent attention; and thus; alerting the elk they came to hunt. Then they spend the rest of the hunt in a futile search for the elk they moved out: the first days of the hunt.

Elk can live in an area for months; and get bumped and run for an hour and live for another month in equally good country. THERE IS LITTLE SENSE IN HUNTING YESTERDAYS ELK.

I took a bow killed elk for a bowhunter once; on my pack animals; his 39th elk with a bow.

His technique was to walk for a half hour; and then sit for 40 minutes. He would read a book. Elk are noisy critters in most cases; and you can hear them mewing and breaking brush when feeding and walking ~often~.

He would keep up his routine all day long; not going back to camp for lunch. He took it with him; and slept if the felt like it.

When he heard elk; and its often not calling; its just a 'snap' of a twig. He would put the book away and start hunting like he was playing chess with his life on the line.

I personally have noticed ( I see elk everyday all winter long- as well as -often- the rest of the year) that elk will move in early light; and usually not bugle past 10 am. If they bugle past ten:( when thermals start making them bed) its either that they are in a bed- and just do it; or they are walking to or from a wallow.

I notice that elk do not lay in one spot all day. They get up at about 2 ( when most hunters are in camp wondering where the elk are) and walk a ways. They may only walk a short ways; to a wallow or water; or even a hundred yards and lay back down; but the '2 oclock' pattern is quite common.

When it comes to calls; there is a common failure among most hunters. It has nothing to do with anything other than courtesy. When they are listening to elk bugle tapes or cds; they keep the volume down. A bugling bull elk will scream so loud it will make your ears flap in the wind if your within shooting distance. They bugle loud; and if you are at the wifes requested practice volume; your going to sound like an elk a mile away; and NOT very likely to anger a bull into answering.

If you want to really tick off a bull; then when he calls; repeat the call exactly back to him. EXACTLY. Note for note. That can be tough; and takes a lot of calling experience; but it is just plain effective.

I have tried a kazillion cow elk calls; and used them when I could see the elk; and the only elk call that I have NEVER seen scare an elk; is the little old grey plastic 'elk inc' call- with two plastic flaps and a rubber band going through it.
 Why I don't know. I carry one all the time for cow calling - along with other calls...

What I see in the winter; is that there are herds of elk. There might be 65 in one herd; a hundred in anothers. As I know for a fact cow elk in the wild can- and do- live for 30 years plus; if your looking at a herd of elk; they ALL could be out of one cow. That means they can and they DO recognise the voices of elk they have known for decades.

Now in the fall; when the rut hits; and cows are either with a herd bull; or they are trying to avoid a herd bull ( cow elk are women elk) they will not be so worried about a new voice in the neighborhood. So that is when your cow calling works the best.

Elk are NOT dumb. If you use one cow call and call in spike and the cows; and then stand up and laugh at them; or walk out into the open because there is no monster bull in the group; or if you call in and screw up a calling session for whatever reason --- please don't be shocked if the same elk hear your 'call voice' and consider it a human: from the first mew.
 Take more than one call; and be prepared to use both- because NOBODY knows everytime they have screwed it up.

Have a plan. If you and your buddy are going to bugle in an elk; cool. But plan it out; watch some Primos videos and LISTEN TO WILL!! He is saying the caller should be behind the shooter 40 or 50 or even more yards!! If your calling the elk will sneak in to see you - and then you have to figure out a way to draw and shoot with an elk staring at you at ten yards. Frontal shots do not count.

Be sneaky from day ONE. Be HUNTING from day one.

Other than water; and a water purifier - the only things I have not seen that you should take with you each hunt; is a couple of those little folded up space blankets. They can save you in an emergency; you can make a lean/to roof; and use the other to sit or lay on. Making a lean/to requires rope; and that is the other thing I don't see enough of. Parachute cord is perfect.

You will see the wisdom in carrying strong rope; and about 50 feet of it; when you get an elk down. First; you might need to tie the dang elk to a tree to keep it from sliding down 'hecks gulch' while your field dressing it. Then there is the matter of pine needles and dirt on the meat. If you lay one of those blankets down on the ground and lay your boned out meat on it; your meat processor will like it better; and some processors will not accept dirty meat (rocks can ruin a grinder blade for one thing).  

Then when you have the blankets covered with skinned out elk quarters; and go to hang them up ( do hang them up- the higher the better) you will realise that if you have a lot of rope; you will be a lot happier. Its called the rope to happiness factor. H= LR X RLN  ( happiness equals length of rope times rope length needed).     :rolleyes:  

Hunt where the elk are on the day your hunting them. Use your head. Remember elk put their head down to look UNDER brush all the time; so don't attract elk to your feet ( as in white socks or shoes) or movement.

Use your binoculars; they are using theirs.

All that and practice with your knees knocking; and you should do fine   :)  

and everything Todd said too.....
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2008, 05:02:00 AM »
Thanks Brian! You just added section #5.

Todd

Still..... lots more to come!!!

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

Offline DBerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2008, 06:06:00 AM »
What a valuable thread. Thanks guys.
Worthwhile to copy and paste this one into notepad, methinks.

Regards,
  Dave
David

~Kanati Klassic~ 50@26"

Offline highpockets

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2008, 09:50:00 AM »
I am cutting and pasting here guys.  Keep it coming.!!!!
"even Jesus had a twelve man recon team"

Offline pine nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
I have hunted elk witha rifle for close to twenty years but only been 4 times.  I am a member of The Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation too. I read lots about elk huntingas well.  I think this is the straightest skinny on elk hunting I have read.  It makes sense and you bet I'm saving it!  Thanks a lot.  I want to go with my bow!!!!!  Bill

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
Best I've seen ! Thanks guys!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Wednesday Caste

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2008, 10:43:00 PM »
Todd,
Wow this is great...don't take too long for the next chapter!
Quinn
Thy word [is] a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalms 119:105
Gracious God; wonderful wife; 2 beautiful kids; bamboo fly rods; recurve bows; and a 57 Chevy. Life is a blessing.
Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 46#; Ben Pearson Colt 62" 45#

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2008, 03:46:00 AM »
One thing you need to be prepared for is a quick change in temperatures.
 Its not unussual for the temperature here to drop 40 degrees at night; and too; its not abnormal to have 90 degree weather; and then wake up to half a foot of snow the next day.

Be prepared for that possibility.

Things that can help are things like snowproof; which can last all day even in snow: to keep your feet dry. Even if you have "100 percent waterproof" boots; walking in wet snow can result in wet feet and any boot with leather will get wet in wet snow: and your feet can then get cold.

A plastic tarp can keep your tent dry - even with a snow load on it.

Your going to sit down. When you sit down; if your rear end gets wet; it takes the fun out of the day. One way to avoid this is to get some swimming trunks that are made out of waterproof material.
 If they have a web net inside them; you can forget underwear; and your legs will not chafe from walking.
 And you can sit on wet ground without getting wet.

Here is a little tip :  
  Cut the front of the swimming trunks so that you can urinate easier.

Paint ball competitors have camo knee pads designed to hit the ground quiet. They can give a little knee support; and protect your knees while you are stalking and have to crawl-or if you fall. They are pretty cheap and unlike construction type knee pads; they are made with a relatively soft rubber on the front; so they are quiet;and have tire tread like impressions for traction. They really are a good addition to your gear in slippery rocky country.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Online BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2008, 10:14:00 AM »
Everybody hunts elk differently, thats for sure. If I might add my style to this thread ?

The very most important thing is conditioning IMO. How physically fit you are will determine the success of your hunt more often than not. Your conditioning affects of course your miles walked per day, and the areas you can get into and out of, but it also affects your mental state.

Do everything you can to be in great shape, I highly reccommend walking with a weighted pack and in your hunting boots - this will condition your feet and shoulders.

Second most important thing is picking the right area to go. You can hunt hard a full week in areas that are low elk density and come home with tag soup. Luckily, elk is at or near all time highs in population (modern hunting era anyway). Still, you need to pick the right areas. I can safely tell you that the farther away from people you go, the greater the chance you'll get into elk. You find a bull on Sept 22nd thats not been called to much and he's frustrated and cowless, he's been whipped, his cows taken from him ... thats a bull that will answer and come to you.

I don't take a GPS. I don't take binoculars. I sleep in my hunting clothes and I don't take any scent care to ammount to anything. I hunt as light as I can go, I take a water bottle with a filter in it, I use a box knife type knife to clean elk, I use cord instead of rope - I leave all the weight I can behind. Why ? Because that 5 or 7 pounds will tire me, and it will keep me from going into that next basin, and that next basin might be where that bull that will come to my call will be !

Hunt all day. Hunt in the rain. Hunt when its HOT and hunt straight up noon. Do not give up. You're spending money and vacation time here - time and money from your family, sqeeze every drop of the experience out of it by going 100% and not leaving anything behind.

I've called bulls in at noon. Silent bulls, bugling bulls. I've sat at water holes and ambushed them. I've spot and stalked them in snow slides. I've had them RUN in on calls, and I've had them hold up at 50 yards and not come any closer. I killed one bulls at 12 yards after he rubbed a tree for 2-3 minutes, I drew on that bull 3 times before killing him. I jumped a bull from his bed one day, and called him back in !

I love hunting in dark timber. I love hunting on northern hill sides, real step with benches, flats and water. I don't care if its bedding areas or feeding areas or whatever, I've got 6-7 days to hunt and I'm going to hunt. I might bust elk out, but I might ease in a call in a good bull too.

For gear, I use a Schuh pack and Russell boots. I use a replacement blad box type knife. I always carry my Wyoming bone saw. I carry pine knot shavings, toilet paper and a cig lighter and matches vaccummed (emergency kit) I wear fleece almost exclusively. My socks are important, I buy the best I can get. No GPS, no binos. I have a 2 lb 6 ounce bag, a 5 pound REI dink tent that keeps me dry. This fall I'll be using Jet Boil and Mtn House meals. I'll wear the same clothes for the most part every day, Secret non-scented antiperspirant for a bit of odor control and extra undies and socks. Petzl head lamps, AA batteries and my digital camera.

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2008, 05:03:00 PM »
Todd,
  Great thread. Thanks for taking the time to do this. I'm waiting (im)patiently for the next Chapter.

Kyle

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
I know other people have chimed in here with good advice and have kinda’ “jumped the string” and have moved forward a little faster then I am. Most of this is pre-typed so I’m still going to add my advice to this thread. Sorry if you read the same things twice.

Enjoy,

Todd
====================================================

Section 6,  “Continuing On”

Well here it is, Day 3 of your 7 day hunt. The opening weekend is over and you have hit ‘Beaver Creek’ pretty well, but still haven’t had much luck.

“What next?......There is plenty of sign in ‘Beaver Creek’ but the elk just don’t seem to be in there consistent. I’ve seen a few here and there on distant ridges and hill sides, but by no means have I ‘been into elk’. I have found where they were bedding, I have found a few fresh rubs, I’ve even smelled them to the point where my eyes were burning but I still haven’t ‘been into elk’. What next?”

If you are having the above thoughts, the only thing I can tell you is,…. Congratulations, you have experienced hunting “pressured grounds”. Usually what is happening is the elk are moving in and out of the country during the night, or are just traveling through.

This is where you pull out that Topo and start looking it over. Since you have done your homework and talked to the biologist enough to have several hunting areas picked out, don’t be afraid to check on other areas. At the same time, don’t be afraid to cover one area enough to give it a fair shake.

You’ll notice that after opening weekend, the people numbers will go down. Give ‘Beaver Creek’ a rest for a couple of days then hit it again Wednesday. There is a high possibility that the elk will move back into the area.

If you are hitting the areas you have picked out and a few others that just look good, but are still having trouble getting into critters there are only two directions you can go from here. Either up or down. You may have to scale a pretty rough peak or drop off into one nasty canyon to get into elk. If you are into sign all of the time, but don’t seem to be into elk, they have moved to where there is less pressure.

Elk don’t mind walking 5 miles for water. They can cover a tremendous amount of rough terrain in short order and make it look easy. They might travel from 10500 feet to 7500 feet just to get a drink, and then head back up to that 10500 elevation to take a nap. It’s work alright, but if you want an elk, you might have to make that journey yourself. Even though it’s exhausting and rough, you can do it.

Don’t be afraid to hit some extreme low country as well. This is probably my biggest secret I’m going to share with you. Don’t think you have to be in the dark timber or Aspen trees to see elk. Give the gnat infested cedars and pinion country a try. It will probably be hotter by 20 degrees, and you won’t think elk are in the country at all. After all, this is ‘winter country’. I’m here to tell you that resident herds of elk will inhabit this country, and likely, you’ll be the only person stupid enough to be out in 95 degree weather looking for elk. You’ve all heard the saying about “Desert mulies.”? The same holds true for elk. If you find a water hole with some fresh sign out in the desert, the elk are as good as dead. They will still want to rut, and they’ll still want to wallow. This country can be extremely hard to hunt mentally. Everything in your body and mind is telling you “there is no way elk can be here”, but if you have so much as seen one elk track, there are elk there.

Keep in mind that in this type of terrain during the bow season time of year, there are going to be way more bulls then cows. This means serious competition and well executed cow calling is like love potion #9.

Most of the country I’m talking about is between 5000 and 7000 feet above sea level. Try to find small towns with alfalfa farms in this type of country and hunt the public benches around the alfalfa fields. Find their routs to and from bedding areas and ambush them. Don’t be afraid to track down farmer John and ask if you can hunt his hay stack. Most hay farmers have a profound hatred for elk, and don’t mind letting you respectively hunt their property. Even if he tells you no, you still have a 50/50 chance of him saying “yes.”

Elk by nature are a plains desert animal and are as adaptable to different kinds of terrain as a cockroaches. Make sure and ask the biologist about resident elk herds in the lower country. If the Biologist say’s there are elk in the area year round, and you have hiked your butt of in the high country, take a rest that evening and go travel some dirt roads in the lower country looking for elk sign. Most BLM cattle ponds are right next to the road in this type of country and finding elk sign can be really easy. You can even do this after dark. Look for tracks in your head lights.

There is still a load of info to come……….

Good luck,

Todd

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »
Todd,  You've got this all pretyped?  Like in ready to send in to have published as a book?
You should!  This is great stuff!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2008, 06:35:00 PM »
Section 6 continued……..

Here it is, the 4th morning of your hunt. You’re tired, fatigued, exhausted, and discouraged. You still get up, get some coffee perkin’, stretch your tired muscles and put on your hunting boots. You have a talk with yourself saying “Self, I don’t know why I spent the money to do this. We’ve hiked our butts off you and I, Self, and the only luck we’ve had is been bad. Nothings going right, Self. Why are we even wasting time getting out of bed? Where are we going to go? Why are we going to go there only to get skunked? I can’t believe I let you talk me into this.”

This is when you really got to dig down deep, take a couple Tylenol and hit it again. While glassing the evening before, you spotted a herd of about 10 cows and one rag horned bull about two miles up the most unforgiving slide rock hill side imaginable. You dig deep and decide, “Self, we have to go up there just to check it out.”

You drive to the location, park the truck and begin the grueling climb. You’re still discouraged. “How are we going to get on those elk even if we do make it up there?” Your spit balling trying not to be discouraged yet everything you have is telling you to pull up the stakes and give up. Yet, you keep hiking trying to find some light at the end of the tunnel. You start wondering what your wife is doing, how the kids are,……start thinking about how work is going without you……..are my feet actually going to fall off……pretty much, you are trudging. But you keep going thinking that you are never going to get into elk. “Keep going, Self. We’ll go home if this doesn’t pan out.”

All of a sudden, the biggest racket/ruckus erupts not 20 yards from you. The sound of hoof beats suddenly breaks the negative thoughts that only moments ago filled your mind. Once again, that eye burning smell of elk takes your breath away, and you’re left standing with your mouth open wondering what just happened. The reality of it all sinks in as you watch your quarry file up the distant slope. Every elk hunter in the world has had this talk with themselves….. “SELF!!!!!,,,,, Why weren’t you paying attention?!!!! WE WERE CLOSE!!!!! THEY WERE CLOSE!!!! Hey,,,,……. We were close, Self……. We GOT INTO ELK!!!!!!!!!! We are going to pay better attention from here on out,…..we can’t let that happen again……YES!!!!!....That was AWESOME!!!!” It takes 5 minutes before you stop shaking, and it’s going to take a hard hit to the head to ever forget that first up close and personal encounter with the animal you so badly have dreamt about. To convey this feeling of the first experience with them is next too impossible to do in text. I can promise you that after that first time, you will have a little more giddy-up in your hikes for the rest of the hunt.

Not very often is there an easy elk hunt. It’s never easy. But I guarantee, keep going because it will be worth it…………….

More and more to come…….

Todd

Offline Nate Fikkert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2008, 10:33:00 PM »
Todd,

and you other more experienced elk hunters,

This is really great stuff, I can't get enough of thinking, talking, and dreaming about elk.

I want to discuss the calling section a bit more.  First, I am sure more elk hunting has been screwed up by bad calling and "saying" the wrong thing at the wrong time with calls.  However, and this may depend on how pressured the elk you are hunting are, I have heard some terrible sounding calls from the real thing.  

Cows screaming their heads off like babies, bulls that sound flat, little squeaks, grunts only etc.  One thing I have began to do when analyzing elk sounds in the woods, is assess how "perfect" the sound was.  It seems that several times the most "perfect" bugle was from another hunter.  Mostly I am talking about the low to high bugle with three perfectly spaced grunts at the end.  I think you were getting at this in your post Todd, but I sometimes wonder if when and why is not 10 times more important than how perfect it sounds.  A bugle that gets scratchy at the end, or a cow call that goes flat can get a response from elk, I know, it has happened to me.  However, those elk believed, because what I was "saying" was in the right place at the right time.  

Just wondering what you real experienced elk guys have learned regarding what I am talking about.

Todd, you nailed it with the mental aspect.  That is by far, the hardest part.  You can have success calling if you are not a world champion and you can find elk in unlikely areas, but if you can't keep your head in the game you are toast!

Keep it coming,

Nathan

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2008, 08:15:00 AM »
Nathan,

Great questions and observations.

You are absolutely correct. Applying the sounds is the key aspect when calling.

I too have called them in and have not been 100% perfect with my sound. Those were usually very low pressured elk during a rut inferno. I have noticed the error margins with your sounds depends totally on the elks mood and how pressured they are.

I too have herd some terrible calling from the real thing. Cows and bulls alike. The only thing I can suggest when they are sounding terrible is....... Elk can sound as terrible as they want and get away with it, well, because they are elk.

The thing with calling is the elk in the area are eventually going to find out if that terrible sound is human or elk. The same holds true for exellent calling. When they start finding out it's human, thats when they start to go nocturnal with the rut. Where as an elk can walk right in the middle of the herd sounding as terrible as it wants and as long as other elk can visualize where that sound is coming from they won't worry.

Once again, great questions and observations.

My previous calling advise is geared more tword the high pressured public lands as well as this hole thread. Keep in mind that for every one elk called in and taken, 10 elk are educated.

Thanks once again for your valuable input.

Good luck,

Todd

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2008, 09:16:00 AM »
Whip's right Todd, You need to think about an article in some of the magazines. Great stuff!!

I would be glad to take the pictures for it on are elk and deer hunt this fall.  :D  Really looking forward to it bud.

Tracy  :archer:
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Online wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2008, 10:12:00 AM »
This is all good stuff.  I'm going on my first elk hunt this fall and I've learned more practical elk hunting info here than in all the books by the "experts".

Offline Brute killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2008, 06:18:00 PM »
Mark  :bigsmyl:    :clapper:
Martin
"The first deer that gets close enough and I'm goin Womack on his ass!! " Charlie Lamb

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©