3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wanna go elk huntin'? 2010 UPDATE. More photos Pg. 5  (Read 2131 times)

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wanna go elk huntin'? 2010 UPDATE. More photos Pg. 5
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2008, 05:43:00 PM »
keeping this one near the top. great stuff.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2008, 08:29:00 PM »
This is one of the best threads yet.  It is full of good stuff I will use on my trip next fall.  I have been to both Montana and Idaho on DIY hunts, but I have spent a lot of time bumbling and fumbling through the mountains learning as I went.  I have been fortunate to get close to a few Elk just by going slow, being quiet and watching the wind, but I didn't really have a clue what I was doing.  This info is going to give me a lot more confidence and drive when I'm in elk country.  Thanks, Todd
Burnsie
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2008, 06:27:00 PM »
If it isn't already there, this should go in the Classics forum.
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2008, 09:41:00 PM »
Todds not done yet guys, He is just working alot lately but you are right this is a classic.

:thumbsup:  

Tracy  :campfire:    :goldtooth:
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2008, 02:39:00 PM »
:thumbsup:   Thanks for the work here Todd, its obviously being enjoyed!
Todd has found what he likes and what works for him.  Thanks for sharing it with us Todd, so that we can learn from it. looking forward to reading the rest of it.

If I can throw in my two cents.  It is my observation that we as hunters tend to get stuck in saying that this is what works, don't do this, do this, etc... Though not very many hunters do everything the same but alot are consistently every year successful doing things differently.  Not blaming Todd here, just saying that we should all have an open mind always to people like Iodd who want to share, and remember that our way is not the only way, nor always the best.  I think there is a point to be made here, sorry If i feel or sound preachy.

Todds "system" and Paradigm works.  IT kills elk, regularly.  IT is full of fundamental truths that when applied, push the odds in his favor.  It is a successful system, similar to skinning a cat, it can be done a bunch of ways, but in the end its easier with a knife and experience no matter what you do in between.  

Basically, it could be said that anyone who thoroughly studies and applies Todds system, with the additive of experience, will be relatively as successful as Todd is (with a few limiting factors).

As Brad pointed out, it isn't the way he does things.  That doesn't mean that Todds system doesn't work, nor Brads, nor mine, which is a bit different still.  

But in studying all of these ways of going about it and applying them, you can become more succesful.  Broadening your horizon this way can make your success skyrocket, as you can adapt and change to the situation.  No two days need to be the same, only as the elk and situations dictate.

For instance, I rarely spend two consecutive days in the same area, unless there are a lot of elk and the elk are really fired up, if so, why move? I live close to the ares I will hunt.  I hike in them a couple of times a week at least throughout the year.  I try to have as many "go-to" spots that I can, spots that hold a very high concentration of elk who aren't molested relatively often. I develop a few every summer, and one or two pan out in the fall.  This way, I now have nine (given the ebb and flow of honey holes) where I can go.  If one isn't hot, than I move to the next.  I've kept a journal every time I've been in elk country the last 12 years or so (wasn't smart enough to write things down before that).  Studied the effects of calling strategies I used, the sounds, what worked and what did not.

Unlike Todd, I believe VERY strongly that bugling works staggeringly well, but only correct bugling, and have seen many hunted-public-land-general-tag herd bulls die from coming to a challenge or challenging a nosy intruder.  Yes, I think the bulls are saying something in particular when they speak, and will respond when we say believable things to them, its in their blood.  Not that I think Todd is wrong on this, as for him he is dead on.  but for me,  I've developed a relatively large system of calling that covers the phases of the rut, when they are talking, when they are not, when they are fired up, who I think they are talking to, what I think they are saying, etc...  Admittedly I will never know what they are really saying, but my system of calling, whether cold or through replies, kills several elk every year, from Aug 25 into October, calling in many more.  At the same time, a couple of them have died by spot and stalk and still hunting.  So, what do you like?  

I have a pseudo-friend named Paul Medel (elknut), some here might know him too (love him or hate him), heck he might be a member, hes a trad guy now.  HE too has a system of calling that he has developed through study and observation over the years.  Its dang effective, hes laid it out abc in videos.  Alot of people are applying it and killing elk.  His system is very similar to mine not identical though, but they both work.  Elk respond to them, how we respond back is a personal preference, neither working 100% of the time.

Chuck Adams (heresy?)has killed some big bulls, and he uses stalking almost exclusively, and is very succesful, decrying the use of a cow call for any "mature" elk.  

"bigdan" outta Montana uses Bugling (never cow calling) almost exclusively, and you'd be hard pressed to find an elk hunter who is more successful at taking mature elk.

Experience matters, find what works for you.  Find what you LIKE and do it.  And for heavens sake, IMO don't go home for lunch, eat it on a log in elk country.  :-)

My dad and I call 12:30-2:30 "killing time" for a reason.  Elk have rested, and are willing to be up and moving.  Especially big bulls with cows who they feel are safe in their beds, in there safe Zone bedding ares.    

Good luck to all, and thanks again Todd for the informative and thought provoking post.   Sorry If I sound preachy.  Dan  
   :campfire:
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »
holy Carp that was long!     :readit:    :knothead:
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2008, 06:59:00 PM »
Forgive me for not reading all the many fine posts above (ahh, I look forward to retirement someday when I can read at liesure again), which may mean that this comment is a bit off-topic. Still, I thought some here might like to know that it appears Mike Murphy may have a couple of openings (due to cancellation) the last week of the archery elk season here (he's otherwise full-up). That's one of the best weeks of the season, with CO's most trad-friendly outfitter (in my experience; I'm sure there are others I don't know in other parts of the state). You can check in with Mike at [email protected]. Being a cowboy still living in the past, Mike still doesn't have a functioning website, but is slouching in that direction. His son and partner, Danny, rode into the main camp and hunt area a few days ago and reports seeing several hundred elk, including one bunch of 20 bulls, and only a couple of possible winterkilled skeletons ... good news since we had a monster snow winter and are in fear of massive die-off, which doesn't seem to be the case from all we are seeing. A couple of weeks ago I took a 20-mile horsey ride in the same country and saw the same: just two skeletons that looked like winterkill, and both were yearling cows/calves. Just fyi -- I have no financial investment in this, no business relationship at all with Mike, but merely want to put a great trad-hunting outfitter together with interested TradGang friends. dave

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2008, 07:41:00 PM »
And to add to Dave's post above..... I fortunately, am a victim of Dave's recommendation.
Dave's right, Mike and Danny are traditional bowhunting cowboys that guide like traditional bowhunters, not rifle hunters.
Last year I took his advice and am glad I did.  I am going back again this year and bust up right in the middle of that herd of 20 bulls.

But don't tell'em.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline jimneye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2008, 04:04:00 PM »
TTT   can't let this one get lost
I've hunted almost every day of my life.....the rest were just wasted

Offline Battle_shaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2008, 12:55:00 AM »
Glad to hear that. I'm going out with T bar
M this year. Can't wait!

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »
With all the elk questions I thought I'd give this thread a bump: 1) to answer a lot of the questions being asked 2) to maybe get Todd to add those "pages and pages to come"

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2008, 06:24:00 PM »
It's funny how a few weeks turn into a few months.

I'm sorry I haven't been able to devote the time and effort to this that I had first intended on devoting to it. Thank you all for your input and interest.

Next week, I'm heading out to get wicked seriouse with my pre-season scouting. I will give a good update at that time.

In the mean time, "Lost Arra" sent me this wonderfull acount of 100% elk hunting via PM. I asked him if he wouldn't mind me sharing as this is a wonderfull depiction of the highs and lows and how the highs make the lows worth it in a big way.

Thanks once again,

Todd

Lost Arra's Message---
 posted June 28, 2008 09:58 PM          
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Todd: Last season was my first DIY bow hunt for elk, Colorado OTC. [I had "hunted" elk in college (Univ of Wyo) but I just followed my local buddies around.]

Last August I backpacked into a wilderness area and by day 5 I had seen no elk but a ton of mulies and my first-ever in-the-wild bear at 40 yards.

Day 6 from the top of a ridge at dawn I saw a bull bugle about 100 yards from my tent. Unfortunately, I was about a half mile from my tent.

Day 7 I'm discouraged and thinking you have to spend big bucks to get a guide to hunt elk. I oversleep and head up hill. Within 200 yards of my tent a bull and a cow parallel my course up the mountain and cross in front of me at 40 yards. Fortunately I didn't shoot because they looked like 15 yards. My perspective is Oklahoma whitetail deer. These elk looked the size of a school bus. I thought "I can't miss!" Fortunately for all involved, common sense won out and I didn't shoot.

15 minutes later another bull, cow and calf cross my path again at 40 yards.

In both instances, the wind was perfect. The elk never spooked or ran off, just disappeared. The problem was I reverted to whitetail hunting, I froze. I think now I could have closed the distance and gotten a shot but I never tried.

I had to leave the next day so I got no meat but I realized I CAN DO THIS.

A close friend who was a good elk hunter (he recently died at a young age from cancer) told me that any bow hunt that gets you under 50 yards to an elk is a success. A shot is a blessing and a dead elk is heaven but a whole lot of work. Never be discouraged. Enjoy yourself and feel blessed to be in elk country."

Thank you Lost Arra for this wonderfull account!
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2010, 08:24:00 AM »
Uping this thread for those that are thinking about it.. Quit thinking and do it..

K.S.Trapper took several of these photos on his trip out last year.. Thanks Tracy!

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

Offline recurve_shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
Somehow I missed this entire thread when it was new, but just read the whole thing over the last hour!  

Thanks for bringing it back up Todd.  Lots of great stuff in there!  I'm going back for my 4th time in 5 years this fall.

Best advice of all for those thinking of going is to go ahead and do it.  Plan for it, prepare for it, but just do it!  I regret I waited until my late 30s before giving it a try, but I plan on going every year if possible for at least the next couple of decades!

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
Dude Im going Blind...LOL   :biglaugh:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline e alexander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2010, 11:45:00 PM »
Missed this thread back in '08. Thanks for bringing it back up.

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2010, 08:16:00 AM »
The beginings of a wallow

A well used rut wallow, and good friends enjoying good times. Thanks again for taking these photos, Tracy!

The view of elk I most often see... Even on trail cams... Go figure..

Todd

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2010, 08:26:00 AM »
The pleasure was all mine buddy and I can't wait for the next time  :bigsmyl:  

Looking forward to coming back out in April, Has the mountain gotten much snow this year? I was looking forward to taking some spring picks and showing Marla the mountain but I know it will be early.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2010, 08:29:00 AM »
The mountain has more snow on it then it has had in almost 20 years. There is 2 feet at my dads house..... I highly doubt we can get up top come April...

I'll show you all of my shed hunting spots though.... Come on April!

Todd

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »
That sounds great my friend  :goldtooth:  

Lets try to get in some stump shooting too!

Tracy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©