3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Starting to feel the itch - AK Moose 2020  (Read 4852 times)

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Starting to feel the itch - AK Moose 2020
« on: July 13, 2020, 10:23:49 PM »
Reading Terry and Kevin’s recounting of Their moose hunting in the Yukon moose thread got the stirred my anticipation for this falls moose hunt started early.  Usually I don’t start getting anxious until the first part if September.

Taking Kevin Dill and Mike Mitten’s lead regarding equipment, I convinced my wife I really needed this for a Christmas present.

Set it up for the first time yesterday, got the seams sealed and put the liner in it.  Going to break in the new stove this weekend at the Traditional Bowhunters of Montana’s yearly shoot.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Starting to feel the itch - AK Moose 2020
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 06:05:00 AM »
Merry Christmas (in July) Walt.... :laugh:

Really hard to beat a Sawtooth or similar sized tipi for one man on an extended hunt. Mine saw some really wild weather high in the Fortymile hills several years back, and it refused to die. I recommend the spiral stakes (MSR Cyclone) for much better holding power in those poor soils. What stove did you decide to use?

I'm all over the place with some of my gear. Sold my Sawtooth a few years ago. Bought an 8-Man Seek Outside tipi. Didn't think I'd be needing it after a couple years....sold it. Bought a Seek Outside Redcliff this spring, along with their new stove. I haven't even managed to get it set up once yet. I need to seal it and do all the little things to get it ready. The stove needs burned, etc....

I came up with an idea for what  call a 'wader-gaiter'. Basically, I designed a slip-over gaiter which extends from ankle to thigh and is waterproof. It doesn't cover the boot like a true wader, but secures at the ankle (and thigh) to keep water out when crossing streams. The whole idea was to create a fast easy-on option for staying dry while crossing streams and small rivers. I still need to seam-seal them and test them, but I'm pretty sure they'll do the job.

I can hardly believe it's just 53 days to departure...I need to get busy. I've been hitting the road every morning at 4:00 am to put in some miles and improve my endurance. The legs and lungs will appreciate it.

Here he comes.....

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 06:10:49 AM by Kevin Dill »

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 07:47:42 AM »
Love it guys! Best of luck and have an awesome trip  :notworthy:
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 09:31:04 AM »
Kevin,

Wish I had your photography skills, my pictures are mediocre at best.

Figured in this thread I would discuss how I get prepared for an Alaskan hunt.  Go through most of the things those of us who have been to Alaska do without thinking about it.  Living in Montana and hunting in wilderness areas makes it is easier for me then it is for most people. Starting with shelters, my plan is to run through my checklist categories and explain what I use and why.  I'm pressed for time this morning, hopefully can get back to discussing shelters this evening.

So everybody knows, a lot of my Alaska equipment choices were a direct result of or heavily influenced in posts, writings, or discussions by or with Kevin Dill, Bryan Burkhart, Mike Mitten, Terry Recurver, Mark Baker, Doug Campbell, and numerous others met through my membership in the PBS.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 09:44:03 AM »
Dang it Walt, and you too Kevin! I have too many other hunts on the list already and you gotta just tack this one on! Now I have to go double check my priority ranking of said hunts.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 04:54:10 PM »
I'm envious Walt. Been a long time since I hunted moose. Good choice of tents as well.  I used a 6-person Kifaru Tepee for a number of years, but have recently downsized to a Sawtooth.  Not much of a downsize really.  Just as much usable space, I think.

Good luck on your hunt. 

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 11:16:43 PM »
Tents:

Rather than cover trying to cover everything, ask questions I will do  my best to answer them.  Most of you are familiar with the different types of tents available so here a quick overview.  Most of my experience using these tents is in the one and two man models, I will limit my discussion to these. 

Wall/Vehicle Tents – My favorite option unless I have to carry them far or pay additional transportation fees. I have used a 10 x 10 Montana Canvas Spike tent for almost 30 years without any issues.  I take care of it and it takes care of me.  It is the easiest and fastest to set up and has the most room/usable space for the footprint.  Now the bad part.  Even the light ones are 7X’s the weight of the other options.  Bulk is also a big issue.  My 10 x 10 barely fits into an army duffel bag.  Though I have packed it into remote places on my back, you really need horses to haul it any distance.  On our moose hunt in 1999 (a float hunt) the pilot said it did not matter how much gear we brought, the Beaver could carry the four of us and all the gear we brought.  He ended up using a second plane to accommodate us and all the gear we brought.    Brother Bob and I brought the 10 x 10, Mark Baker and his partner Dale brought a Cabela domed outfitter tent.  I will just say the Cabela’s tent only got set up a couple of times.  On my Brown bear hunt opted for this tent.

Backpacking Tents– Can be light weight and compact or heavy and bulky.  The Quality varies considerably, you usually get what you pay for.  Extremely small living spaces for the footprint.  You cannot stand up in them and most do not have the option or space for a stove.  The good ones are expensive, weigh close to the next options below, and are the best for withstanding severe weather conditions.

Light Weight Floorless – Kifaru & First Lite are the two major makers, both are American made.   Quality and craftsmanship are there.  Lightweight but the extras can bring the total weight up.  Durable regarding withstanding wind rain and snow.  Best of all you can stand up in them and have a stove to warm up and dry things out.  Downside is the are Expensive, as are there accessories, and they are susceptible to damage from sparks & flames.

When hunting the Alaskan bush most people I know opt for the Lightweight Floorless models .  Having researched them extensively I cannot say one make is better than the other.  Both are well made products with good customer service.  Most of my experience has been with the Kifaru brand but my  First Lite Tarp that gets used extensively.  Historically the tipi style tents are miss-named.  That is my way of telling you they intentionally lie about how many people can use the tent.  A six man model is good for one person comfortably with all his gear.  Two people can make it work but plan on using a tarp or second tent to hold the gear that will not fit.  Before our 2012 hunt Kevin Dill and Bryan Burkhart both told us, it would work for two people but will be cramped.  They were right.  Luckily, I took there advise and brought a light weight one man tent to store gear in. We used an eight man model on my 2016 & 2018 moose hunts, it is the appropriate size for two people and their gear.

These tents are expensive!  In 2012 we used Dave’s Kifaru 6 man and wished we had an 8 man the entire time.  In 2016 I was ready to buy an 8 man when a friend and business associate offered to let me use his Kifaru 8 man.  We paid him a decent rental for using it the two weeks even though it was not requested.  Going solo this year I was wavering between a First Light & Kifaru 8 man tents when the Kifaru put the Sawtooth on sale last November.  Kevin Dill and Mike Mitten have both used the Sawtooth with good results on their solo hunts.  To my way of thinking,  you cannot get much better recommendations than that.  Drawback on the Sawtooth, at 5’9” I only have room enough to stand if within a 1-2 feet of the taller tent pole.

Next, we will discuss the use of light stove with Floorless tents.

Walt Francis

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 08:34:34 AM »
Best of luck Walt!!  :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 01:53:50 PM »
I’ll live vicariously through you guys.  I’ll be lucky to get to hunt at all this year.  Government land is my only option and they are not open yet.  Closest pig hunting for me is 2 1/2 hour drive, and hard to get to with a work schedule.
 :coffee: :campfire: :thumbsup:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 07:21:28 AM »
Good stuff Walt - keep it coming and spare no detail...
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 10:38:05 AM »
Definitely jealous here. I think here in a couple of years my brother and I are going to go try that as well! I guess I will just have to live with elk this year LOL (no worries, elk hunting is my life)
is it September yet??

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 08:04:04 PM »
I think when you land in AK, you have to quarentine for 14 days.  Thats why I cancelled my caribou hunt.  Keep that in mind.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 09:37:06 PM »
Keith, I understand and know the current restrictions.  Personally I believe it is all a crock of s!#+.  However, I’m going to do my best to keep it from stoping my Alaska moose hunt.  Both Bryan Burkhart and Kevin Bahr got tested and went fishing in Alaska last month by meeting this requirement from the AK government website:

“I was tested within 72 hours prior to departure and it was negative. Proof of the result is provided.
I consent to take another test between 7-14 days after arrival in Alaska. I agree to minimize my interaction with others until my second test is back, 14 day’s has passed, or I leave the state, whichever is earlier.“

If I test positive, my fall back plan with two weeks off is to go elk hunting during the rut.

Walt Francis

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2020, 03:54:37 PM »
I dunno, Walt.  Are you protesting the safety procedures or the idea that Covid 19 is real? Montana is a big state with a sparse, spread out population so it hasn't been hit very hard yet, but I think folks in Billings and Bozeman are starting to get religion about now. Stay healthy.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2020, 05:41:41 PM »
How are u gonna get tested 7 to 14 days after u arrive?  Wont u be in the bush?  Well, good luck on ur hunt.  Hard to believe I would have been hunting a month from now.  Weather is about 30 degrees cooler up there.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2020, 07:58:24 PM »
John Havard communicated with the people coordinating the Covid-19 mandate and travel. He explained the deal about being in the bush past the 14 day test cutoff. The person responding advised him he would not be in violation or subject to any enforcement as long as he was minimizing social contact and activities during that period. Upon completing the hunt he would only need to be tested if he had symptoms. Obviously the state realizes that not all travelers will be able to do the second test....it’s a moving target sort of thing. I did also read that a person could show up with NO test results....and list his outfitter or transporter location as place of quarantine....then head to the bush. Everything I’ve read indicates the state has no interest in pursuing anything other than blatant disregard of health mandates which could put others at significant risk. That’s all I’m going to write on the Covid topic, as I’m sure Walt wants this thread to be about all the good things associated with his upcoming trip.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2020, 08:05:07 PM »
My bro was on a walk last weekend getting ready for one of his hunts next month and had this bull walk up to him about 200 yds from his house in North Pole.  Hopefully u get a big one a lot closer.  Good Luck!

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2020, 10:09:39 PM »
I got into some poison ivy this past week while rebuilding some fence on my farm, and I am literally “feeling the itch”; arms and legs covered in rash😳
Still gonna take my loaded pack for a walk before dawn tomorrow, in hopes that I get to use it in AK this fall - hope you discuss packs in this thread as well.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2020, 10:00:28 AM »
Good stuff Walt and glad to see you're planning on it happening in spite of the obstacles this year.  I'm counting down the days myself until I can contort myself into the back of a super cub.  49 to go! 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 12:22:56 PM by Whip »
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2020, 11:52:36 AM »
Countdown to Touchdown....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©