3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: question for woody shooters  (Read 1098 times)

Offline John Cholin

• Trad Bowhunter
question for woody shooters
« on: July 16, 2020, 09:23:13 AM »
I have a question about cedar shaft arrows that I hope you all can shed some light on.

I don't make my own arrows, too many hobbies already, I buy them made-up ether from 3Rivers or AllWoodArrows.com.  Often, because I am shooting a 31 inch 80-85 shaft I have to buy 2 or 3 dozen at a clip.  That's OK.  I reserve  some for broad-heads and shoot the rest daily for practice.

Now the question.  Do you guys that shoot woodies find that after shooting a set of arrow for a year that your groups start opening up as if the arrows are wearing-out and their spine is changing?  This seems to be happening with the set of arrows I am shooting.  I have had them for over a year, shoot almost each day, and now some of my arrows are flying "weird".  I wonder if I am wearing-out the shafts and have to be replacing them more regularly.

Any feed-back you all have would be appreciated.

Best Regards,

JMC
My best friend is my dog,
my best bow is my Bear Cheyenne.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: question for woody shooters
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 09:33:57 AM »
I've shot only wood for many years and never noticed them "wearing out". My Treadway long bow I bought in 1999 has had the same arrows I made for it. The first 2 years I estimated I put about 10,000 shots through that bow each year and those arrows, the ones I have left are still shooting like the day I first made them. I don't doubt it could happen to an arrow or 2 in a set but overall I'd say it's not likely, from my experience.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Silent footed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 10:46:30 AM »
Check the fletchings, check the nocks, check the straightness, check your bow. If all of these look good, then the problem rests with your form or your shot cycle.

I've been at this for just shy of 20 years and have never owned or shot a carbon or aluminum shaft, if that tells you anything.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 02:52:44 PM »
I would check for straightness first. Lots of things like temp and humidity can affect wood even with finish on it. I made the mistake once of leaning my quiver with arrows against the wall. What I didn’t realize was the quiver was being supported by the arrows. Those against the wall took a set. My mistake. Then agian wood arrows aren’t forever so if I was going hunting or to shoot for score I would take newer ones.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 06:25:03 PM »
I’ve found arrows in the field after a year or two that I just refletched and they shot fine.  One at a 3-D with a design that was 3 years past that was brought back to shoot the next month.
 :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 07:02:18 PM »
I am with M60.  They will get a little warped here and there from the way they are stored or how they are pulled out of the target. They will change with humidity if the finish isn't perfect too.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 07:14:36 PM »
In more than 50 years of shooting woodies, I have had a few, a very few, get soft.  Usually that was after 5 years or more and the finish was also compromised.  Most of my target shooting woodies don't last that long.  I break or lose them before that. 

It's possible, but extremely rare.  If the finish becomes compromised, the arrows can take on moisture, or shed it, with commensurate changes in straightness and even a little spine. Of course, how they re stored can also affect their straightness, as already noted.

I'd check them all for straightness, and straighten any that need it, and check the finish.  It may need to be touched up as well, particularly the couple of inches right behind the point, where it usually wears off.

Offline John Cholin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 09:30:21 AM »
Thank you one and all for your replies.  I will keep you posted on what I learn.

Best Regards,

JMC
My best friend is my dog,
my best bow is my Bear Cheyenne.

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 01:25:53 PM »
Late for the picnic here, but...
I make my own cedar woodies. I have found the following things can cause erratic flight in time.

* fletching wearing, flattening out, getting torn, missing quills, etc

* warpage due to moisture, improper storage, etc (easy to correct with cedar in a few minutes with an Ace roller)

* bends in the shaft due to a hard hit (tree stump, hard packed ground, etc)

* moisture absorption due to sealing finish being worn off (especially when shooting at foam block targets)

Other than that, I'm still shooting many cedars I made over 5 years ago with no issues.
Aim small,miss small

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©