3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trail cams  (Read 1622 times)

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Trail cams
« on: July 18, 2020, 02:41:28 PM »
 :deadhorse: 

I know it's been beaten to death but with new tech all the time, but what is your fave cam for price, quality and mostly,  reliability?

So far I've liked Covert the best , but open to any suggestions.  Mine seem to last about 3 years average ...

Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trail cams
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 03:16:44 PM »
I have had really good luck with Browning Strike Force cameras.  I have some at least 5 or 6 years old and still going strong.  In fact, every Browning I have is still going strong (hope that didn't jinx me).  They run on only 6 AA batteries and last a long as some others that  required 10-12 batteries.

When replacing some others that gave up the ghost, I recently discovered there are now multiple cameras in the Strike Force series and prices cover a fairly wide range. I always stay on the low end and will never pay more than $120, and usually 20-30 less.

I generally run about 20 camera across multiple properties.

arrow30

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 04:06:36 PM »
the cheap tasco's that wallyworld sells work pretty good for the money, i started using a couple stealthcam blackouts earlier this year, so far so good.

this is the stealthcam blackout

these are from the tascos

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 04:47:06 PM »
I usually run 6-8 on the lease I manage to show prospective hunters the range of deer we have .

For me , I've never had a shot at a buck I have pics of!  I hunt at my bro's place tho so that may explain it.  LOL

I have a couple Brownings that are OK , not as good as the Coverts I liked so much , but Coverts have gone up a lot and I'm not into spending tons on cameras to hang on a tree.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 07:20:30 PM »
Am running 25 game cameras now. The Covert has been the personally preferred choice yet, I feel their increase in price has motivated me to search for a reliable camera that meets my needs. Have three Campark 16mp cameras being delivered on Tuesday.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 10:17:10 PM »
Scott, I looked at those but couldn't quite pull the trigger on them.  May yet tho, could you let me know what you think when they arrive?
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 06:36:40 AM »
KennyM….I will certainly provide you some feedback once adequately tested.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 07:03:32 AM »
Kenny, I would have to say you are using one of the better cams out there. With that said my focus has been on the Browning line up for the past 5 years. I have tried them all the way up to the Reconyx and the browning is my favorite all around camera. The coverts I have used over the years have treated me well but I hate the night time pics. I recently sent a Browning back because it would not turn on. They upgraded my camera and shipped a new one back to me free of charge and even paid for the shipping. I’m very impressed with the customer service to say the least. I am trying a stealth cam this year after some conversation with a outfitter buddy from Alberta. He leaves his out all winter and they have treated him well. I enjoy running video mode over scrapes and the Browning’s do a great job for me with minimal battery usage. Best of luck this fall!

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2020, 09:59:16 AM »
I’ve got about 6 or 8 of the Bushnell trophy cams and 1 Browning. Ive had good luck with all of them. Some of the bushnell are probably 8 years old and still going strong. Battery life is excellent. The Browning is a great little camera also. It’s about 4 years old and is the simplest to work. Excellent battery life also
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline beemann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2020, 11:13:03 AM »
Ok you said quality and reliability.  I have over twenty reconyx and have never sent any of them in for repairs.  Ive had many other brands mainly trying to save money and most don't make it a year before sending em back.  I bought a bushnell aggressor and Im on the third one in four years.  The price of the reconyx is definitely higher but you get what you pay for with them...  Some of my older ones are over twenty years old,  no problems.  The newer model has come down in price to 399 at trail cam pro if you can get over the price you won't be disappointed.  Personally i won't spend my money on anything else..

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2020, 11:59:49 AM »
Wow i thought 3 was a lot i like the browning trail cam i just set the out yesterday and now there's a fire in the area hope the don't burn up.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2020, 01:52:14 PM »
I know that alot of people have had bad luck, but I have 2 wildlife innovations cams that have been in continuous use for 5 years and still going strong. not sure of the model.  I use covert cellular cams.  Still have one kidney of I need more.

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2020, 05:49:54 PM »
I like Covert and Browning ... I have some really old Moultries that are still working well. I've had a few Bushnells with mixed results. My hesitation to buying a really pricey camera like the Reconix is that i would not want someone stealing it ... I have had a few stolen and it really pisses me off.... and yes I use lock boxes and cable locks. The only customer service I have delt with was Moultrie years ago and it was excellent, and Cudde Bac and they sucked.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline beemann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2020, 06:50:15 PM »
A lot of you say how great company X's customer service is.  The funny thing is I don't know what reconyx's customer service is like because I never needed it.   :biglaugh:  Would you rather have your camera taking pics or finding out how your brands customer service is...... :bigsmyl:

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2020, 06:56:08 PM »
I can't imagine spending the kind of money some of you guys do on them.  I get the cheap $28 Tascos at Walmart.  They work just fine and last for years.  I could buy a new bow with what I save.   :deadhorse:

"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2020, 09:59:59 PM »
I've owned many cameras and i've only needed customer service twice, but it's nice to know if they are good or not. I have trail cameras as a hobby, to take wildlife pictures. It has nothing to do with hunting. I appreciate a camera that does not miss pictures, I have put several brands on the same tree to compare what they capture. The slow ones I put in places that slow does not make a difference. The good ones i put where i anticipate getting good pictures of species i enjoy seeing and i want every opportunity to count. In the Cascades of western Washington I have a picture of most any critter that roams those mountains.

I started doing this back in the day of film trail cams and that was a learning experience to say the least on camera placement and site selection. I have some great pictures capturing critters in the wild, Im sure a top notch brand may have made them better but occasionally even a Browny Instamatic get a great picture. I have thousands of pics on my Covert, Browning and Moultrie cameras and many of them are pretty darn good !

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2020, 10:03:46 PM »
Under $100 Bushnell ...

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2020, 10:09:30 PM »
another under $100 pic

I had cropped the brand out, but I believe in was a Bushnell, one of my stolen cameras unfortunately. I have been going to that spot for more than thirty years and only once ran into someone. A group of youngsters the same year my cameras went missing,  who undoubtedly took my cameras.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2020, 10:15:13 PM »
I think this gal was trying to figure how to get into the lockbox

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2020, 10:23:13 PM »
obviously this guy was excited to have his picture taken by a cheap Moultrie camera  :goldtooth:

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©