3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Attention South Dakota and Wyoming bowhunters or people who know me...  (Read 3890 times)

Offline Silent footed

• Trad Bowhunter
I have kept this quiet for the last month and a half on trad gang, but have actually been busy facilitating a move to south Dakota after applying to and receiving, through the grace of God, a job offer in rapid city up against the black hills. I have officially resided here now since last Tuesday and I DO NOT KNOW A SOUL, let alone places to shoot or hunt. In fact, I am still iffy on finding Walmart.

I applied to and relocated to this job specifically for the sake of bowhunting, though.

Anyway guys, obviously I am a traditional archer, but am also a black powder enthusiast, and enjoy camping and wildlife viewing, and historical sites and historical education.

If anyone could point a fellow tradganger in the right direction I'd be really grateful to you guys. I just want to get to know this area and figure out where to do the things I enjoy.

-Silent footed.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 03:15:22 AM by Silent footed »

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
You lucky lucky man.  Head over towards Hill City, just before you get there turn right on China Gulch Road.  It will take you up into Gods country.  I've spent more than a couple weeks camping and hunting in those "hills", some with old friends whose spirits I like to think are still there.   :pray:
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline That_MN_Guy

• Trad Bowhunter
The black hills are a fantastic hunting area! Really the entire western half of the state is super cool, but nothing quite like the hills. Tons of room to roam and places to check out literally right out your door. My SD experience is a little north of you, in the belle fourche area and hunting the Custer NF pieces and surrounding public. From my experience (before the nonresident changes for archery) the pressure was minimal. I hear the place gets a ton of gun hunting pressure though. Animals were not around every tree but we did have chances on a few bucks, though nothing to seal the deal. I was after mulies but whitetails are abundant too.

Looks like you’ll still be considered a nonresident in SD this year. Have you already applied for tag(s)? If not, you’re limited to private land archery deer and archery antelope in SD. Antelope you have to apply but are guaranteed, and I believe archery deer is OTC, but don’t quote me.

For the Wyoming side, draws have already happened and there are very few tags on the leftover lists. A few private land options, and looks like just a handful of doe tags for unit 10 left for any weapon.

Congrats on the move, and good luck! Can’t wait to see some pictures!

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
I live just west of Rapid, so welcome to the area.

One of the first things you might want to do is head a couple of miles south on highway 16 towards Mt. Rushmore and stop at the National Forest Service office. You can purchase maps and also pickup free trails maps of the Black Hills. I think you can also pick up the National Grasslands map there for the Badlands area.

The Game Fish and Parks website has a lot of information along with downloadable maps that show walk in area's, national forest lands, and BLM lands. The Game Fish and Parks office on Sturgis Road on the west side of town has a book of the same hunting lands and I think it's called the Hunting Atlas and is free. There is also a new archery range over there.

I stump shoot nearly daily on forest service land behind my house. The forest service map will help you find forest service land which is all open to multiple use. The app from GFP will also help with finding that if you have a smart phone. There is a lot of forest service land in the Hills.

If I can help more, just shoot me a private message.

Terry K.

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
You are lucky.  I’ve been traveling out to SD and WY on bowhunting trips for years and hope that I can relocate to one or the other in the future, maybe after my wife and I retire.  Only reason I might choose WY over SD is because I love elk hunting more than just about anything else.  On the other hand, SD has the better governor, maybe one of the best in the country!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 06:16:09 PM by Jeff D. Holchin »
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
I have hunted the black hills on the wyoming side for 15 years. headed there in september. I know why you moved there! I would like to someday also. SD has a good governor. Hopefully they open up some non res opportunities. (I forgot about this photo. My brother snapped it with an iPhone while my buddy who guides some big name clients was trying to get his photo, the lighting is awesome. What a spot! You could just lay down and sleep there!).
Tedd

Offline keng

• Trad Bowhunter
I messed up my post. Was supposed to say lump's Bar,  central City south Dakota. About 40 miles Northwest of rapid City. Was in there 2 days ago

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Oh, if you are not fond of motorcycles, you will have some issues part of the year.  I pretty much hate them but that's just me.   :knothead:
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Silent footed

• Trad Bowhunter
Guys, I am reading and appreciate your responses. I'm finding i can only get on here during the weekend. This whole week I have been bogged down day and night trying to get started right at my new job this week and reviewing my notes each evening to get stuff absorbed so I can shift my focus as soon as possible back to archery.

Am hoping to get back on here this weekend once I'm off. I have one more day of classroom training before I meet my preceptor bright and early next Monday morning. So I'm praying tomorrow goes well.

-Adam.

Offline Mighty Big Country

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm on the East River side of the state, but have been West River (6) times since Covid hit.  There's plenty of public land to explore in the Hills and West River in general.  Take the advice of several other posts by getting the maps and apps showing the public ground.  I would take your time this fall getting to know the lay of the land.  SD is a great place to live.  Please don't bring the east cultural values with you!

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm on the East River side of the state, but have been West River (6) times since Covid hit.  There's plenty of public land to explore in the Hills and West River in general.  Take the advice of several other posts by getting the maps and apps showing the public ground.  I would take your time this fall getting to know the lay of the land.  SD is a great place to live.  Please don't bring the east cultural values with you!

Offline Silent footed

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Attention South Dakota and Wyoming bowhunters or people who know me...
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 10:55:41 AM »
Please don't bring the east cultural values with you!

No need to worry there. I am actually from southwestern Indiana which is pretty similar in culture to SD. I spent nearly the last decade living near the Catskills in New York: Beautiful area with friendly caring country people, but my job was in a nearby metropolitan area some drive away where I saw plenty of those "values" first hand. Over the last couple of years I would say it definitely gave me the final push I needed to get out here. Just too many drawbacks, and not the kind of drawbacks us archers want to encounter.  :laughing:

Online Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2020, 06:49:23 PM »
Good Luck in the new job and location.

Deno
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2020, 07:27:53 AM »
Congrats on the relocation!  Little jealous here.  Hope to convince the wife to move west once I retire.

I've got nothing else really relevant to offer but good luck and enjoy learning the area.  I'll be hunting north of Wall the first week in Oct.
"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2020, 12:45:23 PM »
One other suggestion, I would recommend grabbing a backpack/gear and spending as much time as you can every weekend camping and hiking in the Black Hills (SD and WY), National Grasslands, and BLM getting to know the lay of the land this fall.  Best of luck!

Offline pipcount

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2020, 01:40:07 PM »
I grew up in Spearfish, just west about 60 miles on I90 from Rapid City.  Highly recommend taking your family for a ride up Spearfish Canyon in the Fall, see the colors racing up the draws as the leaves turn.

Trout fishing is awesome in the hills, especially near Spearfish due to the local hatchery.

And as others have said, great hunting... lots of variety of game and tons of public land.

Just a beautiful place. 

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2020, 06:34:44 PM »
Was out there a couple years ago. My wife and I took a grandson to a Christian Youth Camp out of Rapid City. Make sure you take a drive thru Custer State Park. Absolutely beautiful.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2020, 06:52:44 PM »
I grew up in Rapid City, still consider it my "home town" although I have not been back in a very long time.  Anyway the Black Hills are what ignited my passion for the outdoors and bowhunting, you done good!
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2020, 05:51:17 PM »
X2 on the ride through Spearfish Canyon in the Fall.  Congratulations on the move to a beautiful state. 

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©