3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hunting arrow weight  (Read 1105 times)

Offline zinndl

• Trad Bowhunter
hunting arrow weight
« on: April 18, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »
I shoot a 66" long bow 49# @ 28"
I intend to hunt whitetail if I feel I am up to it this year. The best shooting arrow I have found has a total weight of 373 grains (including the 125gn Magnus two blade). I know that most people want at least 10 grains per pound of bow weight.
The arrow is an Easton Powerflight 500 at 31.5 inches long (7.3gpi).
I Have always hunted with compounds and being new to tradidional archery I would like to hear your opinions on whether this 373gn arrow would be effective and or ethical for whitetail hunting.
Psalm 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God;and the firmament showeth his handiwork

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hunting arrow weight
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 05:07:00 PM »
That just sounds too light to me. With a 49# bow I personally would like an arrow in the 550-600 gr. range. but that's just me.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 05:10:00 PM »
I agree with Jerry. I shoot a 630g arrow. With that sort of poundage, I  would shoot an arrow much heavier!  :thumbsup:
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 05:15:00 PM »
Its light thats the wait arow I shoot out of my 70 lbs compound!  My 50 lbs recurve and longbows shoot 450-500 and up

Offline BHTGdogs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 05:27:00 PM »
I shoot almost 800gr. arrows out of my 50lbs bows. Haevier than most but at 20yds or less Idc about speed.

Offline zinndl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »
I was using gold tip 3555's (389g total @ 8.6g per inch)   and the spine seemed too stiff, the wanted to hit left. The easton power flight has a weaker spine and they bare shafted perfectly at the stock shaft length. Even though they are only slightly lighter than the gold tips They give significantly deeper penetration in both bag and straw bail, they do have a slightly smaller diameter but I cannot imagine that it along would give so much more penetration.
How (what brands or types) can I acheive the heavier arrow weight while still maintaining a weak enough spine to shoot accuratly?

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 05:36:00 PM »
back when I drew 63 lbs. I never shot over 8 grains per lbs. Now I draw 46 lbs. and shoot 12 grains per lbs. Go figure.

larry

Offline adam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 05:39:00 PM »
I shoot a 650 grain arrow out of my grizzly recurve 50@28. It flys exactly where i look and makes the bow alot quieter than light arrows. If the 3555's seemed too stiff just go up in point weight. To get my arrows flying right i had to use a 100gr brass insert and 175 field point making it 275gr. tip weight. I think you would be alot happier with a heavier arrow.
Psalm 18:33

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 07:13:00 PM »
I shoot 54 lbs, and shoot a 555 gr arrow.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 07:24:00 PM »
Way too light.  Like others said- up the point wt.  Tuning really is easy when you realize that you can easily weaken spine with more wt up front.  You will like the higher foc flight too.  I am shooting 250-300 on the front end- works great.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »
Stick with a small two blade and it will work fine for deer.Good arrow flight is the main thing.If it shoots best and you are just hunting deer I would not worry about the weight.I shoot heavier arrows because I like bigger broadheads.I have however shot 3 deer with 380gn arrows (46lb bow) and the results were the same as any other arrow.jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 08:08:00 PM »
I've killed a few whitetails w/ less than 400 gr arros w/ snuffer and woodsmen.Placement.
I now shoot 500gr or more.Just like the way the bow feels when shot.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 09:25:00 PM »
I can`t help but think that your bow would be quieter, and more pleasant to shoot with a heavier arrow.

Maybe your bow is already plenty quiet. Maybe it already produces a pleasant thump when the string falls.

If so, whitetails should be in trouble if they wander too close.

I have young sons, and last fall, my twelve yr old killed his first traditional deer with 39 lbs, and a 410 grain arrow. Plenty of punch for close range.(15 yards)

I have been hunting with traditional bows for almost twenty years, and for years I shot arrows that would be considered light. From the spirit of trying something new, I began to experiment with heavier arrows. It was then that I found out the benifits of heavy arrows.

Quieter bow, more forgiving bow, better penetration on game, and more pleasant shooting.

Ten grains per pound is the common formula. Works for me.

I hope you feel "up to it" this year. I hope your longbow gets a chance to speak.  :thumbsup:

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »
I agree with James W. that setup should work for whitetails.
Personally I never hunt with an arrow that weighs in at less than 600grains. But that's just me, it's a psychological thing with me, I just feel better with a little more weight. I'm currently shooting around 660grains out of my 50lb longbow.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 10:35:00 PM »
Zinndl, your Eastons are penetrating better because they are flying better.  A straight flying arrow will always penetrate better than one flying a little sideways.  While your current arrows will probably be adequate, something heavier would be better, esp on a less than perfect hit.  As long as you have the GT 35/55, it should be worth the effort to try front loading them to see if you can get them shooting as well as the Eastons and then compare the penetration of each.  I think you will be pleased with the heavier carbons.  There are some guys here with lots of experience shooting high FOC carbons that should be able to guide you.  Good luck and keep us posted.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Aaron Proffitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »
So,I'm shooting cedar shafts spined 60-65 at 29" with 125 gr. points.My total weight is only around 530 gr..
How would I get that up ?Shoot a higher spined shaft and add 160 gr. up front ?
"First thing we do,let's kill all the lawyers".
Shakespeare Henry VI, Part 2

Does an agnostic,dyslexic,insomniac lie awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog ?

Offline zinndl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »
Thanks everyone for the help and advise. Although the lighter arrows do fly better with my current 125gn broad heads I have to admit that having been a compound bow hunter I have a mental block about the heavier slower arrows; I just feel like I have to have the speed and I know that it is not fair or wise to compair my compound hunting to traditional tackle. I am going to experiment with doing what ever it takes to get my bow tuned to shoot at least 10gn per pound. I'll let ya'll know how it works out. One thing I do know for sure; having only been shooting traditional for about a month I am in love with it! Had I known how rewarding it was I'd have started years ago!  :archer:

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 11:40:00 PM »
Just made up my new arrows for widow which I draw to 47# and they come in at 560g  roughly 12gpi.

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2008, 11:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by zinndl:
Thanks everyone for the help and advise. Although the lighter arrows do fly better with my current 125gn broad heads I have to admit that having been a compound bow hunter I have a mental block about the heavier slower arrows; I just feel like I have to have the speed and I know that it is not fair or wise to compair my compound hunting to traditional tackle. I am going to experiment with doing what ever it takes to get my bow tuned to shoot at least 10gn per pound. I'll let ya'll know how it works out. One thing I do know for sure; having only been shooting traditional for about a month I am in love with it! Had I known how rewarding it was I'd have started years ago!   :archer:  
I did the same...I tried getting away with the lightest arrow as possible then one day got some heavyu cedars for a great price and fletched em up...they came in at something like 18gpi and I shot them GREAT!  Though very heavy they made the bow shoot phenominal and they still hit like a stud!

I've since dropped down some of the weight with the new bows and have grown to love a nice heavy cedar...they just fly nice for me.

You'll find your thing and run with it...I went from carbons and speed to woodies and slow LOL.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©