3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Relentless Pursuit of that Dream Buck  (Read 3117 times)

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
The Relentless Pursuit of that Dream Buck
« on: August 02, 2020, 09:52:48 PM »
Would expect that most of us some time or another have imagined the buck of dreams. Some of us many times. Thus far, this preseason I have not identified that target buck yet am quite optimistic as I have located a couple that are just short of a personally intensified season pursuit.

What is your realistic dream buck?
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Relentless Pursuit of that Dream Buck
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 10:01:32 PM »
A mid 150s clean 8 point for whitetail.  Mule deer a clean 4x4 with eyeguards 160’s.   That’s for this season. 

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 11:34:18 PM »
I got him on the wall behind me..

163 3/8 clean 10 Pt.  22.5 inside, 23"+ main beams. Lost inches due to disparity on both sides.  If you look close his G2 on the right side as you look at him is only 8" while the G2 on the other side is 14".  His g 4's are there but the left side as you look at him cant be seen cant in this pic.  The G4 on the right can be seen. At  my age I am never going to beat this guy.  I am good with that.  That being said, I am very particular on what I look at.  There is a young 6 pt. roaming around my place that will be a unique trophy in another year or two if he makes it. I sure have not seen everything thats available around here.  Ya never know.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 11:44:14 PM by Huntschool »
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 07:38:28 AM »
A legal buck will do here just fine.  Way to much hunting pressure here for a realistic chance at the dream buck.  Have seen some bruisers when hunting the big woods though.  Thermals have been extremely frustrating trying to close the distance in the mountains with valleys and draws.   Unbelievable they can survive the rifle season pressure and deer drives. They get big for a reason!
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 08:31:51 AM »
Huntschool that’s a great deer, congrats.  I hunt public land and am at the mercy of pressure from other hunters and such, A couple years ago I had a beautiful mid 160,s 10 point at 10 yards and never got a good angle and he walked. That deer has haunted me ever since then. I’ve tried to locate that deer ever since and spent most of the season trying to hunt him. Heck being prerut he could have come from 10 miles away but man that deer really stuck in my head. Last year I found a young wide 8 point that I would have shot if given a chance , I saw him a couple times but never really had a good opportunity. He appears to be back in the same area this year, so if no one boogers him , hopefully I can get a arrow on him this year , My biggest is a mid 150,s  that I loved to have the chance to kill, but it wasn’t one that I had targeted and actively pursued , don’t get me wrong, I’m not a trophy hunter and love killing mature does as well as bucks but the thread is about the one dream buck we pursue. It seems every year I will find a nice buck and wind up not killing him and passing other deer I would normally shoot.  It’s a dang sickness.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 08:39:00 AM by Dave Lay »
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 08:37:37 AM »
Dream buck, sure everyone wants a crack at one !! Me, I just want a legal deer. Buck or doe, don’t matter!  I have seen some real beautiful bucks but never had a close encounter with the bow. Maybe this year !!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 09:00:02 AM »
We have a couple every year that I'd like a chance at. Every year I tell myself I'm shooting a meat deer but then hold off when a young buck is in front of me,  hoping for something a little bigger. This deer I had at 10 yards last year. Couldn't get the string clear of my leg as he came in too fast. Hes not the biggest deer but I have my eye on him
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 09:40:22 AM »
The kind of hunting pressure that exists where I hunt pretty much eliminates any "dream" animals, but as they say hope springs eternal.  Just got a picture of this little guy yesterday.  He'd be fun.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 10:07:48 AM »
The areas that I hunt just aren't conducive to producing big bucks unfortunately. Not a ton of food, and most guys blast the first buck that they see. The APR's have definitely worked though and make the chance of at least seeing a decent buck a bit more realistic. I'd love to get one that beats the P&Y minimum of 125". I've gotten several 8's (with other weapons) but would love a run at a 10 pointer some day.

Online Yooper-traveler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 10:17:32 AM »
I guess for me it isn't about a score, its about having encounters with an older buck.  Two years ago I passed a nice 2 year old 8 up here as I was hoping he would walk by my son or daughter.  He never did.  I saw the same one last year (now a real nice 9) but never within bow range.  My son almost had a shot at him but it never panned out.  My kids or dad taking that deer would constitute a "dream" hunt as he has some history with me. 
Klaatu, Verata, Nicto

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 10:26:59 AM »
For now, I would be satisfied with any nice sized 8 or 10 pointer. Extremely huge antlers are not a requirement. I missed my chance at a truly massive deer back when I was a very young rifle hunter. I missed a truly large 12 pointer. By the next season, I was a competent rifle shooter. Since becoming a designated bowhunter such an opportunity has not presented itself.
Sam

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 10:29:17 AM »
That's easy.

I'm hoping I get the opportunity to chase the same buck I've dreamed about for the past two years.  A nice solid eight pointer.  He will be 9yrs old this year. 
He usually doesn't show up until late September.  So fingers crossed......hopefully he survived thru the off season.

Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline Howitser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2020, 11:27:22 AM »
I get one picture of this guy every year, for 3 years now.  Waiting for the 2020 edition. It would be an accomplishment to see and kill this boy. Certainly a fuller freezer........but it seems the dream would end then, sad.
Howie
Never forget our POW/MIA's

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2020, 11:46:21 AM »
Thanks Dave.  I am quite proud of him.

Its tough to shoot something you may never beat.  What do you do the following years ?  I have passed on a ton of bucks because they were no where near the one above.  I dont eat as much venison as I once did so its not even a case of meat.  I take a doe every so often just for that. What it has really done to me is make me enjoy just being out there and enjoying what nature has to offer. However, now with my physical/medical conditions even that is becoming more difficult.

I will continue to hunt as I can and enjoy my time in the woods.  If I dont ever see another deer as big as this one thats OK, just as long as I can get out....

Hunt well and shoot straight
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 03:33:18 PM by Huntschool »
Bruce A. Hering
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2020, 11:56:13 AM »
    I always just like to have a close encounter while sitting in my Huntmore 360 chair and I have had some close that I have taken with longbow and recurve .
  Then one day while praying I would have a second chance at a good 8 point I missed I went back two days later praying that 8  would give me a “Second” chance at him while cruising by “BUT” our Creator God had a different one He sent through .
  It was a beautiful sight being so close on the ground as he offered me the shot of a lifetime.

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2020, 01:00:29 PM »
The greatest accomplishment of my hunting career will be if I'm able to take the buck I've been after for several years.  I see him quite often, but can't ever get a shot.  I've watched and kept tabs on him since he was a 2.5 year old. He will be 9.5 this fall.  He is most likely a 150-155 inch 8 point.  It has been fun watching him grow all these years.  He is still a giant bodied buck and easily the biggest that I have to pursue. 
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2020, 02:34:58 PM »
I've given up that dream.
I don't mean I wouldn't take the shot should a nice150 class come by in range but I leave tags unfilled to wait on the best or most mature buck I have on camera and it stays unfilled.  I have been working on myself to get me at the point where any decent mature (4+ years old) is a good one and take the first good opportunity I get.  Hopefully this season I take one early, fill a couple of doe tags and leave time to hunt ducks in December and January. 
I only have room on the wall for one more.  If I die with that spot empty it's with no regrets. 
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2020, 03:00:14 PM »
Hawkeye, I grew up in PA and familiar with the “if it’s brown it’s down” philosophy.  Understand the pressure.  Getting back to those spots that require work to get into is the key.
 :coffee: :campfire: :thumbsup:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2020, 06:35:22 PM »
Hunting Government land in Texas with limited scouting possibilities it is pretty much first mature buck that offers a shot.
 :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2020, 07:04:17 PM »
Hunting Government land in Texas with limited scouting possibilities it is pretty much first mature buck that offers a shot.

Heck, 34 years for the feds even as a DoD civilian.....  you should have enough change to get yourself on a decent (not crazy expensive) lease.  That would solve the problem.  Or in normal times a trip to a good producing state might work also.  Just sayin.....   
Bruce A. Hering
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©